1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

understanding chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by edthearcher, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

o.k. you guys help me out. briley choke full catalog says const .035 now I take my digital caliper it says 0.707. now I know there must be a simple trick to this help thanks Ed.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

0.035 is the difference between the barrel bore diameter and the choke constriction diameter.

The fact that it measures 0.707 means that it is made for a barrel with a 0.742 bore diameter, which is quite a bit larger than standard (12 gauge is nominally 0.729")

Do you know what your barrel bore diameter is?

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Ed:

Another way to think about it is the .035 represents 35 points of constriction with each point equal to .001".

Each point of constriction then represents an internal diameter change of minus .001" from the diameter of the normal bore. A standard 12 gauge bore is .729". However, the current trend is to provide overbored 12 gauge barrels which are larger than .729" so as to reduce recoil and improve patterns.

Ed Ward

4. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

thanks guys I knew you would come threw ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.