1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Underground Dog Fence

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by perazzitms, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

We have the petsafe wireless system also. The transmitter is a little big but we have it set up in the laundry room in the middle of the house.

It costs a good bit more, but it has advantages:

You can move it if you want.
    You don't have to bury a wire (worth $300 alone in my opinion).
    You don't have to chase any wire breaks.
    You don't need to put the power supply outside.
    It's an INclusion ring - as long as the dog is outside the ring, it's getting zapped. No running through to freedom. (but the collar will stop shocking after 30 (I think) continuous seconds).

We have a Bichon and the receiver is also a little big - it looks like she's got a deck of playing cards on her neck, but it not too bad.

2. bocephus

bocephus Member

We have the Innotek electric fence system surrounding 2plus acres, works real well. Never buried the wire other than across the driveways. No problems with connections or breaks in the insulation on wire even during rainstorms.

While it never was intended to keep other dogs out, there are some that figure out that it will only shock so long and stop. We have 1 dog that does sneak thru now and then but found if we move the wire a little it is enough change that he won't go through.

Overall the best thing we have gotten for keeping dogs home, we have 7 German Shorthairs we all know how they like to run.

3. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I should also add - it almost seems like a waste of money. It took one day for the dog to learn that if she went too far away from the house, she got zapped. By the second day, she wasn't even testing it - she stayed right in the yard on her own.

4. bocephus

bocephus Member

If we let one out without a collar takes a few days for them to realize it won't shock. It is interesting to watch them test it a little at a time.

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I used to sit on the front porch and drink a beer just to watch the neighbors dog be let out.He would get a running start and zip right through the fence and boy did he let out a yip every time.I do know they work good if you start the dog out as a pup.

6. bocephus

bocephus Member

Yes you still have to train the dog to react properly. You don't just plug it in and think all is good.

7. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

We used the Pet Safe System to contain seven Irish Wolfhounds. Works like a dream, but here's what I learned. Buy wire from Farm and Fleet. The wire furnished sucks. If dogs are long haired, buy longer collar probes. Do not mount the charging unit in an area where it is exposed to below freezing temperatures. Change the collar batteries monthly. We had one smart one that would lie down and listen to the collar beep unitl the battery went dead, then he went visiting neighbors. If the probes are contacting the skin and the gain is turned up high enough they will conatin a very, large, fast dog. You have to set the gain high enough so the dog has time to stop from a dead run or they will blow through the fence.
    Good Luck
    Dan

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It really depends on breed and tempermant of that individual dog. I would buy the best you can afford and hope that your dog doesn't retain a strong will for an adventure.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a friend that has a very smart dog!!!! He will sit and watch and learn. Well for the first few days my friends "fence" worked. Then sitting around the fire pit we watched him. kept creeping up closer and closer till zap! He did it again and again. The next day my friend called me. That little bugger got out. How? I asked. He tells me, went out side and found a hole he dug about where he was yesterday......he never digs? then I saw him sitting in the neighbors yard. Stupid grin on his face. The dog learned that he could just run through it. He simply double fenced it. The dog might try 1 or 2 times a year now.

10. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

I also have the Innotek 2100. What a awsome system. We have a yellow lab that wanted to roam when we were not home. Problem solved. Strung wire when we had 3 1/2 feet of snow and later buried across drive as Bo did. Had a lightning strike it and fry main box. They sent one on the spot. Then I sent old one back. Was out for 2 weeks and dog wouldnt get near the red wire. He has it figured out the red wire is BAD. Even if his ball is on other side just sits and barks at it. Go for it. Plott Hound

11. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

If you want a hunting dog, think this over carefully. A friend had the wire type; his dog really got zapped too many times at an early age; really made the dog timid and afraid to venture away from him. The first time a gun went off 50 yards away, the dog took off and hid under his truck. Best Regards, Ed

12. Norm

Norm TS Member

All of these systems may be just fine for keeping your dog IN, but how good are they at keeping other dogs OUT?

13. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

Just make sure all the rabid skunks/raccoons/etc. in the area were a collar so they can't get in the yard. ;)

14. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I thought all skunks were required to were a collar.

15. bocephus

bocephus Member

No collars for skunks, just a stripe.

16. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Ive got 2 male Spring Spaniels. I use the same collars they wear during pheasant season. If they start to wander into the neighbors yard I just tone them and they turn around, also cuts out the barking. But if you go this route you have to watch them and I recommend a good unit like tritronics. I dont mind watching them while they are out besides thats alot of 4 legged money running around that someone else would like to own.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My damned dyslexia is kicking in again...I thought the title said "Underdog ground fence"...sheeesh...anybody knows a fence cant hold Underdog!

18. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I fenced in three acres with Underground Fence and it kept a very strong German Shepherd in. It took 30 days to train him but it worked well. I hung most of the wire in existing barb wire fence, neighbors pasture, and my split rail with no problems. Neighbor dogs do come to visit but thats ok, I just didn't want mine to be smashed on the road. My dog rode in the back of the truck and soon figured out he had to stand in the middle of the bed to keep from getting zapped. Lightning did mine in too but the warranty paid for all new stuff!

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Three of our neighbors have Invisible Fence systems. As their dogs can attest, the systems seem to work well as long as they are turned on. Another neighbor has two Labs but no fence of any kind. We never see those Labs out of their yard, which may suggest that proper training works better and is more cost-effective.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

underground dog fence forum