1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Under Water Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mcneeley5, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Have any of you over invested $$ in customizing, up-grading your shooter knowing full well that you will never recoup your money? Stock/checkering work on "average" gun brands alone over excedes most projects.

2. philk

philk Member

Yup, refinishing old A5`s and customizing handguns. Would still like to do up my old Ithaca M37.......

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, when I added up all the goodies on my Ruger 10/22 and it came up over a grand.

Jim Skeel

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

That was a given when souping up 1911s for the action pistol game. Generally all the 'upgrades' did was to lower the resale vaalue of the gun from where it was in stock configuration.

But its all in the name of fun - From what I understand the hot rodders have similar money pits.

5. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Is this a trick question?

6. philk

philk Member

For sure cars and motorcycles have the same problem. Lately it seems my house is even worse.

7. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I recently went for a CHEAP squriel rifle 22mag. Came out to $470 with out the case of ammo I got.

Savage 93G
    Bushnell Banner 3x9 40mm
    nice case and sling for camping out

Now I have enough left over for a nice revolver or semi auto 44mag

I don't think I did bad and no matter how many times I tell the wife what a savings I made going this route she still just rolls them eyes.

8. burtona

burtona Member

I don't look at guns as an investment. They are only tools to play various shooting games with and to defend my home. I'll customize them as needed to suit me for the shooting games and let my heirs worry about what they are worth when sold.
    Dave

9. chemist

chemist Member

IMO- if you have to worry about how much you are going to spend to fix up a gun that you like, so it becomes what you are happy with- don't buy it. Seldom will anyone agreed it is worth what you feel that it is worth. Shoot and enjoy your efforts.

Rich K- chemist with over priced toys

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

i thought i was gonna see those four girls again from a different angle

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I was told by a guy who restore's expensive cars. $100,000 and up to buy a car already resored. Let the other guy loose money not you. He had a point.

On guns its the same but not the same. Its hard to find what YOU like in one gun. Get one thats close and either be happy with it or up grade it just alittle. That way you don't put that much over what its really worth.

I rebuilt a 1972 Chevy Nova. It wasn't for shows or restoring but a user. It was a granny car, 4 doors. I stripped it inside and out and put a Vett 327 engine and a Muncie trans. It was a sleeper. I had alot of fun with that car and it was a tool at times chasing poachers from my place. I didn't have to ask twice to go. LOL. If I tried to sell it I would loose money for sure. I had the car for 13 years and rust and a rear end accident took the car off the road. The car owed me nothing. I got my moneys worth out of it and I miss it even today. I had to take it off the road 11 years ago. I kept the engine and trans.

12. goony

goony Active Member

Don't forget to add boats to the list.

13. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Here is my story:

Ran into a guy who had a 1909 L.C. Smith, Field grade side by side, 30" barrels in 12 gauge.

The only problem was the stock was cracked at the pistol grip. He would trade for any working 12 gauge. So I traded him a used mossberg 500. Say this is about a $150.00 cost (just to show the math).

Had is re-blued (I know! I was a lot younger then!!!) $60.00

Went to find a stock for it, found out they were hand fitted back then. Saw an add in Shot Gun News for a 90% inlayed stock. I bought one in the next to best wood. $500.00

Got the stock and figured I could find someone to fit it WRONG! That remaining 10% is a lot of work. Set it back to the same guy, and just had him fit the stock. $500.00

Now it needs to be sanded and finished, tried myself, was not happy with it. Had an older feller give it a go. Not bad but not great. So I stripped everything off of it and set it to a gun smith. He fixed the comb sanded and finished it. $500.00

Took the completed gun out to the trap range. Worked awesome absolutely dusts targets!!! After ten shots the gun disassembled in my hands. Come to find out the barrels need to be re-soldered. This will cost about another $500.00 after the re-soldering and then re-blueing.

So when I ever finish it I will have invested $2210.00 and I might be able to sell it for $500.00.

Lesson learned!

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I love restoring old Winchester lever actions and Colt single actions. You start with a worn out, rusted, poorly functioning gun, that looks like s@#*, and you bring it back to factory new condition and it's worth less than half of what it was worth before you started. AJ

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I paid Winchester to restore my granpas old model 94 in 38-55Win...came back beautiful and will never be sold but will never bring all the money in its restoration...It don't bother me a bit though

16. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

My project TM1 is getting me behind the re-sale market but will be neat for my boys-- in a real long time!

17. schneep

schneep Member

My only hope in life is that after I am gone, my wife doesn't sell all my guns and sports equipment for what I said I paid for them!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.