1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Under Armour shirts????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Can somebody tell me what makes these shirts so special over other athletic shirts? I've noticed a lot of shooters wearing them. Is it supposed to be something about how they keep you cool. Thanks everyone.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Under Armour is a brand name. They have some great products. They have both thermal unders and also some designed to keep you cool. i find their thermal unders to be very very good. Thin non bunching and fit me well. Mind you these are generally designed for athletic build, try on before you buy. Overall I like them. Bit pricy though. In winter 10to30 degrees I find that all i need for up top is my body armour and my polar fleece pull over. They are both thin and do not bind or hinder my shooting much. I wear bib type ski/snow pants on bottom. Plenty warm. check it out

3. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Everybody seems to love the Under Armour but me. I tried them one fall bow hunting. I thought they were the coldest underwear I ever wore. I like the way they fit and support the body, but wow, did I get cold in my tree stand. Sometimes I would hunt out of a Double Bull ground blind with them on, and couldn't wait to get out in the sun to warm up.

4. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I wore them at the Grand and it was great! It wicks away the sweat and makes you feel cooler. The shirt I was wearing was $25.

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Cooler???

I shoot in one in Anchorage all winter...that and a T shirt is all I wear under a shoot coat.

it's a great keep you warm layer...

6. cleboje

cleboje Member

Guys, remember...UA has Heat Gear for hot weather and Cold Gear for cold weather.

The Heat Gear t-shirts are the cats meow for hot weather shooting or early season dove hunts...durable and they work as advertised.

I have heard the Cold Gear is just as effective in keeping you warm when the temps drop...I picked up a set at the PX and will field test them in the deer woods in a few weeks.

Joe

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I tried em' and had the same experience as unsingle. Froze my butt off in the tree stand.

8. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

I have a set cold gear tops and bottoms. I found that they are not as warm to me as like dufold or other reasonly priced underwear. Also they do not have a fly in the bottoms which is especialy irritating. I thought that I had gotten womens until I found the tag. They also had a drawstring in the pants which I didn't like. I wore them on a 40+ day and wasn't very warm.Myself I wouldn't buy another set. Your mileage may vary. George

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I much prefer stuff from Patagonia or Lowe Alpine.

10. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

The UA-type shirts (there are others cheaper) for warm weather dry very fast. I have some that will dry out in 10 minutes. It's evaporative cooling. Sweat into the shirt, it evaporates, and it cools you off. Add even a little breeze and it's like wearing air-conditioning.

I get strange looks because I wear long-sleeved shirts in the summer shooting. Not only am I cooler, but I don't get burned to a crisp in the sun.

11. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Fred - naked as a jay bird when I put my under armour on. I've tried everything with them, nothing seems to help me. I just get cold in them. I'm much better off with some of Cabela's underwear.

12. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think that the reason people are having different results with Under Armour shirts is because of the different usage. They are designed for a moderate amount of activity, not for standing dead still in a tree stand.

If you are moving around while hunting, or trap shooting, you will generate some body heat. The UA will allow the moisture from your body to pass through the garment without getting the garment wet. BUT, if you are just standing dead still and not moving, you need something that provides a lot more insulation.

I would suggest that the hunters that use tree stands carry a set of insulated coveralls with them into the woods. After you have been in your stand about 20 to 30 minutes, put on the coveralls. Also, slip on some "booties" over your boots at this time to keep your feet warm.

When you start to leave the woods, remove the coveralls and booties because you won't need them. The walking will generate enough heat to keep you warm.

13. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

I wore mine next to my skin also. I also am active as I keep score,crawl in the trap houses to load them plus shooting 4 rounds or so. They are not for me.I live in North- Eastern Ohio about 50 miles from Lake Erie. Sorry,there are better and cheaper long johns out there.Maybe the heat gear is better,but I won't find out soon.George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

under armor shirt for trap shooter