1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Unconscious Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Jun 16, 2013.

1. FNG

FNG Member

I have read and heard that to maximize the probability of being "in the zone" and shooting your best, that you need to let the "unconscious" part of the brain do the shooting. I find myself thinking about: "keep face and shoulder pressure in the gun", don't move until you see the bird"; "smooth move to the target", "follow through", "look and hold points", etc. This doesn't seem to be "unconscious" shooting. However if I don't think about these things I seem to neglect one or more of them and miss targets. I also suspect that I'm doing too much thinking and missing targets. Do you ever get to a point where you don't have to think about things like these and just shoot with a blank mind ? If so, how do you get there ?
    Thanks for your ideas & experiences.

2. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

unconscious is the term commonly used for the democrats.
    You want the sub-conscious. Develop a plan and just "let it happen". If you try to see the target and the barrel in relationship you will slow or stop your swing.
    Before I call pull I think see the target. I know where the gun needs to be to break the target so I let my sub-conscious do the rest.

3. FNG

FNG Member

Thanks for the correction. "Sub-Conscious" is probably a more accurate term.

4. Animal

Animal Member

"Unconscious is the term commonly used for the democrats," hahahaha, you nailed it sptnclays, Touché.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Being in the zone is the place to be. You have to let your subconscious mind take over. When your conscious mind tries to help is when things get screwed up. HMB

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Your conscious brain can't remember that many things at once. Successful achievement of breaking a target will reinforce your brain as to what to do the next time. After many repetitions, it will become second nature. Try to limit your preshot thoughts to just a few things (2-3) Then look at the target and pull the trigger. Mark

7. dalog

dalog Member

As a coach for a youth team I see it like this, you have to start out consciously thinking about the fundamentals, at least until they become ingrained in your routine. Then you reach the point where you can truly let the sub-conscious run the show.

The trick is letting it do that.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well described by Tim Galwey's books : Inner Tennis etc.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I like it simple....like a windows program. Point & click.

Everything else is too much thinking.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I call it Auto-Pilot. You have to download the shooting program into the Auto-Pilot before it can run.

You will get to the point where this all happens without your thinking about it, but you have to get the proper basics and fundamentals down pat.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bill Gates, "winning trapshooting with point and click"

Lol good one

12. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Oregunner made a very important point with the statement "After many repetitions, it will become second nature."

Shooting with the subconscious in control is a very difficult thing to "will". Often, the more you think about "not thinking", the more you will tend to think.

The only solution I know of is to shoot a lot, with a purpose of course, and eventually muscle memory and the attendant neural pathways are established.

It is not that different than playing a piano well(or any musical instrument for that matter)...lots and lots of practice is a requirement.

bluedsteel

13. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

To think or not to think...

There are two way to understand thinking, one is when you learn the fundamentals and the second one is when you prepare the shot.
    The first one ends up in building the shooting routine, after a lot of repetitions, the second one ends up with the shooting habits,that are part of the mental concentration also.
    The trap shooting breaks down to two phases: 1) the preparatory phase, that can be longer or shorter, and the effective shooting, which needs to be " sub conscious" when executed.In the sub conscious successful break get together, the
    correct technique,the talent nr of shells and the practice hours

Instinctive shooting, which in fact, is a reflex shooting, is a other way to shoot
    subconsciously, but you can't rely on for consistency b/c the preparatory phase is missing. In other words a chaotic shooting.

The preparatory phase is conscious, the firing phase needs to be subconscious based on routine.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's the same as driving. when you first went driving it was all done consciously with attention to the steering, the gas, etc done with all your attention.

A year later you could drive down the road and talk to passengers with your arm around your girlfriend. (!)

Once you have mastered the fundamentals you keep your focus on the target, and let the little guy behind your eyeballs take care of the shooting.

At least it's supposed to work that way.

HM

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Someone asked Big Leo what he thinks about when he is shooting, he responded "Nothing" and it seems to work pretty good for him ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

After my pre shoot mental checklist I do a mental exercise: I put myself in a calm place in my mind. In an empty room with no noise and I slowly close the blinds and try to shut out all distractions. Sometimes it works better than others, but I always try. Bill

17. FNG

FNG Member

OK guys this is good info. I've got one example here of a pre-shoot mental "prep phase/checklist". Are there others ? i.e. - specifics. Do you think "eye focus on this target", "face pressure on the gun", etc. before mounting the gun each time then clear everyting out before calling for the target ?
    Thanks

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A seasoned carpenter does not think his way through driving a nail.

19. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

"A seasoned carpenter does not think his way through driving a nail"That's true but who cares, If you miss a nail the next hit can correct that but a miss target is a miss target!

20. FNG

FNG Member

I just read an article by Sean Hawley in the current issue of "Trapshooting USA" magazine. The subject is the mental side of our game. One of his recommendations is to read about the mental aspect of trapshooting. Can any of you recommend a good book on the subject ?
    Thanks for all the help.

Search tags for this page

animal gun unconscious

trap shooting usa article on shooting with your mind

unconscious shooting