1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UNCOMFORTABLE AIRLINE TRAVEL...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mr. listo, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. listo

mr. listo Member

I flew out to the SHOT SHOW, a 4-hour flight, and I felt uncomfortable from the start. My back and neck were hurting flying out there. I bought a bead-filled horseshoe collar at the Vegas airport for the trip back. It helped some, but was not thick enough.

It's been 20 years since I've flown, so I wasn't prepared.

I'm 6'1" and my neck could not lay back comfortably.

Is there anything made for lumbar and neck support?

Any advice from some experienced fliers out there would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry Gable

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Harry...

I'm 6'-5" and 245 lbs. and as much as I've flown, the only thing I've learned to do is: "To become comfortable in my discomfort". Those airplane seats (except 1st class) are made for little people with skinny behinds. Best thing I've found is to find a way to take your mind off the discomfort. For me, I bought a DVD player and watch movies, etc.

Curt

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

If you can find a seat with no one next to you, raise the arm rest all the way back and park yourself in two spaces. Works for me... John

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

First Class upgrades can sometimes be had pretty cheep or even just for the asking. Usually worth it not only for the comfort but for the first on first off feature.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I'm much shorter than you, but I always grab one of the airline blankets and roll it up (or a pillow) behind me for lumbar support.

6. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

2 Xanax and 2 Bloody Mary's does the trick for me.

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Last week I had a trip to DC, and because of schedule needs I could not take the SLC/DCA flight I usually prefer. Going out I went PIH/SLC/JFK/DCA, and did not get upgraded. Coming home it was DCA/ATL/SLC/PIH, and I was upgrades to first class on the first two legs. It was nice, especially on the Atlanta to Salt Lake City leg.

For the regular legs, I always take a window seat, and try to sleep a lot.

8. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Try to sit either in front of the emergency door lane if you want to kick your seat back or in the emergency row lane if you want extra leg room.

Those are really the only two spots that afford you some extra room.

9. ATF Agent

ATF Agent TS Member

Harry,

The next time you fly, go to this website and plug in your airline. Pick the plane you're scheduled to fly on and check out the seat information. With airlines flying at or near capacity, it's relatively difficult to get free first class upgrades anymore, even for frequent flyers. But, it never hurts to ask.

ATF

10. chessney

chessney TS Member

I always take a friend with me. Either Johnny Walker or Jack Daniels....Ziggy

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I fly from CA to PA and back once or twice a year. I'll second admiral art's advice...Xanax, Baby!

12. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Harry; I fly 4 to 5 over 5 hour trips a year and from that I`ve learned a few
    things to get you thru the flight. If you cannot sleep on the plane pick a day
    light flight, if you`re a sleeper pick a nite flight and arrive fresh. If you
    fly 1st class you have no problems. I fold the blanket nicely to fit evenly to the seat (adds cushion). put on noise cancellation ear muffs and listen to the
    music or watch the movies, do crossword puzzels, But do drink water at least a pint or more for the trip. Dress loose and comfortable, shoes too. Have a nice
    flight. pineapple

13. mr. listo

mr. listo Member

Thanks to everyone for their tips.

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.