1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Uncheckered Gun Stocks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wineguy, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

A friend of mine recently had a custom stock made with no checkering. It really changed the traditional look of the gun. My friend shoots with gloves so handling is not a problem. He also has the option of adding checkering down the road and changing the look and feel.The flow of the stock's grain pattern was beautiful!Anybody else shooting a trap gun with no checkering? Thanks.

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

There was a Myrtle wood stock for sale awhile ago that wasn't checkered. It was a really good looking stock and the seller had a very hard time selling. Bruce

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

last weekend, I got fitted for a 20 gauge gun and handled a friend's sporting gun that just had come into the shop after being built by Perazzi. He had no checkering on his gun at all. It was a bit weird handling the gun with no checkering, but the grain really stood out. However in the end, I went with checkering...I think it helps with getting a good grip on the gun, at least for me. I wear gloves as well.

4. skeetshooter1978

skeetshooter1978 TS Member

I have a custom remington 1100 that I shoot skeet with sometimes. It is a monte carlo stock and I opted for no checkering. The checkering hurts my hands after a couple of hundred rounds. I do not wear gloves. I like it very much.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

ljutic73_2008_030313.jpg

My Ljutic 73 has had this uncheckered stock and forend on it since I restocked it in '92....couldn't afford to get it checkered then and just never got around to getting it done...I use a glove on my trigger hand so my grip is very consistent....

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Susan Natrass 7 Time World Champion does not have checkering on her gun.

TB

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Reading all this I think I will sand all that beautiful checkering off that Cindy done on mine. LOL

8. ljutic73

Thanks Dick....got lucky when I bought the Browning and got to choose the best wood the dealer had in his selection and the wood on the 73 came from Ernie Paulson in Chinook, Montana....best deals on the best gun wood back in the day (20 years ago)

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I always found that I needed a stock with checkering especially if it rained while shooting. Otherwise, I found that the gun felt slippery. I felt more in control of the gun in inclement conditions with checkering.
    Steve Balistreri

10. ljutic73

I use a Footjoy synthetic leather golf glove..hot, cold, wet, dry..doesn't matter...the glove sticks to the gun...

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I had both my PFS grips made with no checkering. I also wear gloves year round.

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.