1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Un-ported new guns?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nyttym, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

I've been looking for a new o/u trap gun, but can't seem to find any that come unported. Have looked at Browning xt, Winchester Select, etc., want to stay in the $2000 area.
    Thanks, Bob

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bob,

Browning and Winchester are one in the same these days and don't seem to offer anything trap worthy unported, as you have found. Beretta and SKB both offer unported trap O/U. These can be had in the price range you are describing.

ec90t

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... it aint a new gun but ... check out the "F/S Beretta 682 Unsingle Combo-Nice" thread with the offering by Oleolliedawg ... that is a possible deal that you might not want to pass up. It's not new but it could be a fantastic deal for the offering.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Lumper,

I'm truly scared! I though about adding that to my post, but didn't. I fear for my mental stability! LMFAO!

Bob,

You should look very hard at that one as unsingle combo's are starting to be hard to find.

ec90t

5. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I wouldn't rule out a new Browning XT simply because it is ported. I'd prefer mine if it weren't ported in the first place, and I sure wouldn't spend out of pocket to have any barrels ported. But that is the way they make 'em, so you have to settle for ported barrels. - JoeBerg

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Your mental stability will be just fine ... I know mine is. ;-)))

7. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Any new beretta o/u will be unported. It's my opinion you will be getting a better gun compared to the other brands you've been looking at.

8. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

Thanks for the info, guys. Several guys at the club have SKB's, some of which I've shot, but they seem to break a lot of firing pin springs, saw 3 this summer. Price is right, though. A new beretta trap runs close to $4000, which is a bit much for me. I shoot a BT-99 for singles & handicap, & have a Remington Spartan SPR 310 for doubles only. Was sort of thinking the 'one gun, all games' theory, my reason for looking.
    Bob

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... I have seen a couple of the Brownings where you could get them un-ported. I'm not sure if the trap models were one of them but if I remember there was a parraelel combed sporting model that porting was an option. I had one in my hands a few months ago and almost bought it, but I didn't.

10. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

On the Browning unported, I shot one that a club member owns. It was made in Belgium. Loved it, offered him cash on the spot, but it is his pride & joy, fixed chokes, too. He only brings it out a couple times a year. Have seen a few at KTP, but not any I'd buy.
    Been lucky enough to try many guns of other club members, all the new ones are ported. Besides being tough to clean, sometimes the shooter next to you feels the blast. Think I shoot a non port better, & don't notice any more or less recoil.
    Bob

11. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Non porting is an option with SKB. I have 4 without porting. Consider an 85TSS, they are equally as good as any Browning with world class better service should you need it..

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Beretta O/Us don't come ported

John C. Saubak

13. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Aren't all of the Browning guns made for the European market unported? As I recall they are also fixed chokes and come with an oil finish which I prefer to the high gloss units sold here. I'm not sure how, or if, you can order a gun sold in Europe.

14. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

Was not aware of the European guns being made that way. New Brownings I've seen are made in JApan, as is my bt-99. Think the Eupopean guns might have a different stock. Maybe a military friend can look into that for me. Thanks, Bob

15. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I didn't mean to infer that the browning were made in
    europe, just made for the international market. Take a look at the Browning international website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.