1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UN Arms Treaty Dead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Utah Ljutic, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Utah Ljutic

Utah Ljutic TS Member

Good News for now I am sure we have not heard the last of this issue.

TRR: UN Arms Treaty Dead
    ? return to The Robbins Report
    Illustration: U.N. gun grabbing by Alexander Hunter for The Washington Times James S. Robbins Published on July 27, 2012

Talks over the UN Arms Trade Treaty fell apart today, effectively killing the agreement. The Arms Trade Treaty Legal Blog reports that the process seemed to be moving to completion when the United States requested an extension to the time allotted to negotiate the agreement. This opened the door to other countries to begin registering more complex objections, and it soon became clear that reaching agreement within the allowed timeframe would be impossible. The proposed treaty, which raised considerable domestic opposition from gun rights advocates in the United States, died before it had a chance to become a threat. As a delegate from China observed, "C'est la vie et la vie c'est ça."

The UN may take up the matter at a later date, but for now it is on indefinite hiatus. 

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Let's all go outside, and shoot our guns in the air! No really. Just watch out for airplanes.

Just kidding. It never would have a chance anyways.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is a non issue. from Examiner.com:

"Now, one would hope that the Senate would vote to toss out the treaty signed by the President. It is questionable if the current crop of Senators would vote against the President. But even if ratified by the Senate, the hope would be that it would be shot down in Federal Court.

In other words, the actions of the President, in this case, must be in alignment with the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. The Senate must vote against regulations infringing upon this right if the UN Arms Treaty accomplishes this. And the Federal Judiciary must toss the entire treaty if it is out of line under the 2nd Amendment and assuming the Senate voted to ratify it.

So, in essence, the NRA has a slam-dunk case working its way through the United Nations right now. A banner fundraising year, no doubt.

And hopefully the President recognizes that this issue is dead on arrival before it even goes to a vote at the UN. At least we can hope, right? I sure would hate to see the President try to change something so fundamental. But that is exactly what he said he was going to do, wasn't it?"

So Hilary can sign on she wants, but without repealing the Second Amendment it's just another pile of Progressive shit.

HM

4. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Very well said, HM. People, keep pounding on your Senators. Let them have no doubt how we feel about this garbage.The calls do work. Make enough calls, just about everyone of them wll respond. Even the ones that don't care what we think still have to write your name down and log your call. Fight on!

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

You can read about it at above url.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The UN's no more than a paper tiger. We need to stop funding it.

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Barry,
    I think it's more like a crooked/criminal tiger that deals drugs and steals wealth from those that are foolish/desperate enough to depend on them.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Call your Congressman and Senator and tell thrm how you vote.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I believe that 51 Senators sent a letter to the President saying that they would NOT vote for this treaty. The fact that no draft was reported out of the UN Committee means that Obama was saved from having a treaty he signed rejected by the US Senate. We know where he and Hillary stand on guns in the hands of private citizens. They were both saved from the embarrasment(sic) of having their position rejected.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Happy with my Senator.

July 20, 2012 Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting me about the United Nations (U.N.) Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) and the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012 (S. 2205). As a supporter of S. 2205, I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

Like many Pennsylvanians, I have long been a supporter of Second Amendment rights. They are of fundamental importance to our nation, and I believe that Americans have a personal, constitutional right to self-protection and to engage in recreational activities involving firearms. In fact, during my previous tenure in the House of Representatives (1999-2005), my record of supporting gun owners' rights earned me an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association.

That said, I understand and share your concerns about the ATT. As you may know, this treaty was created in 2006 by U.N. General Assembly Resolution A/RES/61/89. Its purpose is to create international standards for the arms trade. Like you, I am deeply concerned by this treaty because of its potential infringement on our right to keep and bear arms. You may be pleased to know that I recently joined 44 of my Senate colleagues in sending a letter to President Obama and Secretary Clinton opposing ratification of the ATT.

In addition, Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS) introduced S. 2205 on March 19, 2012. Among its provisions, this measure expresses the sense of Congress that U.S. sovereignty and the constitutionally protected freedoms of American gun owners must be upheld and not be undermined by the ATT. I share your views on the issues underlying this bill and am proud to cosponsor it. S. 2205 is currently pending before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations for review. Although I am not a member of this committee, please be assured that I will continue working with my Senate colleagues on advancing this legislation and protecting Second Amendment rights.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

View Comp

11. Mapper

Mapper Member

Please let's not get too complacent. They'll be back at some point, because many of them actually believe the junk they are spewing.

12. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Excellent! But now there are the Obama democrats with their anti gun agenda like sneakin gun legislation in on other bills.

I would like to know what the gun crime (only) statistics are to total US population?
    And of the 'gun crimes'(only), how many are committed by "legit" gun owners as opposed to "criminals and fugitives"?
    How many are crimes are committed with so called "assault weapons" or "black guns"?
    And what is the percentage of above mentioned guns used in a crime to total number of these 'types of gun' sales?

What are the statistics of criminals and fugitives to total US population?

My thoughts are that even in these difficult times we still have a fairly peaceful Nation of law abiding citizens.

What questions are our legislators asking? What point is there in regulating people who already play by the rules?

13. oz

oz Active Member

what percentage are caused by muslim terrorists? Illegal aliens?

14. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Yes...I want to know...

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Halfmile, what you posted makes sense only in the context of a President who abides by the laws of this land and the constitution.

Obama doesn't.

And so far the Supreme Court has not exactly slapped him down hard.

16. porky

porky TS Member

I get calls from the NRA and hang up on them. I am an Endowment member so I have supported them in the distant past. Ever since the NRA backed that slimeball harry reid for re-election and since he one has been raping the United States. If that treaty had been signed, I doubt very much if Harry would have brought it up for a vote and thereby make that it a law of the land eliminating the 2nd Amendment, The NRA sucks as far as I'm concerned.

17. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

The delegate from China said what??

Charlie

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

"Shoot our guns in the Air"?

That comment from Stl Flunkin' convinces me this person is not even a shooter. This is a Wisconsin liberal Government employee, on this site posing as a shooter. No shooter could possibly have such an inane reaction to a bad piece of governance being shot down.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Buzzy, you're only now just figuring that out?

20. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

This issue will be back this fall, then next year, the year after that, the year after that, the ye.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.