1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Umbrella hitch extension

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buckeye, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I am going to build a hitch extension for the receiver hitch on my truck. I want to use it to hold a patio umbrella. I know a lot of shooters use them and was wondering if anyone that has used/built them has any suggestions before I start welding anything together. I have access to a welder, etc.

Thanks,

Buckeye

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Use 1/8" tubing and muffler pipe from a local muff shop, makes it lighter. I made one heavy duty and it was too heavy. If you can find some of that tubing from the metal carports that are everywhere, that would be even better... Drill a hole through the bottom and put a bolt in it so the unbrella won't touch the ground. You can move the vehicle if you have too without removing the umbrella.

3. B V

B V TS Member

I have made several and the best material I have found is the 2 inch square tubing used for street signs. It is galvanized and is usually available in short pieces at your local highway department garage from stop signs and such that been knocked down.
    Leave the bottom of the 90 degree fitting open to allow the umbrella pole to sit on the ground for stability. Lift it and slide a bolt through to move without taking it down.

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

I built one for a friend some years ago. I used 1/8" walled 2x2 square tubing. I will see if he still has it and try to get some pictures of it if he does.

5. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I used some pipe that fit the receiver drilled for cross pin. Thread on T fitting drill and tap a set screw so it won't unscrew. Screw short vertical to place umbrella and tie it down or pin it or it can be gone with the wind. Easy to take vertical pipe off for stowage. D Winter

6. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

If you don't already have your canopy, check out Anchor Shade for boats.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your how to is on the above site, just look at the pics.

HM

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm already in the process. I found that site a week ago and my wheels have been turning every since then. I'm gonna steal their idea with my own little twist. It ain't stealing if you ain't selling 'em, right?---Matt

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

The picture above was taken at the Charlie Brown GC near Kittrell NC.

The umbrella stand is mad of aluminum and is lightweight and will not rust.

The umbrella is a Lack's beach umbrella that was bought in Myrtle Beach.

A friend of mine builds these in case anybody is interested.

FRedmon

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I used a Harbor Freight truck bed extender support for mine. Instead of the upright, I just used a tight fit piece of PVC whose inside diameter matched my patio umbrella. I then used a stainless spiral screw strap clamp around the top of the PVC to keep the unbrella from turning in the wind when it was in a tilted position.

11. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

Thanks for all the info.

Buckeye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beach umbrellas with 2 inch hitch

bumper hitch umbrella

pvc umbrella extender