1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultrasonic Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Anyone use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean their trap barrels in? Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Just throw it in the dishwasher like I do. Only problem is I have to take the wood off first and then disassemble the action, dry it and re-lube everything. Kind of like using an ultrasonic cleaner. Seriously, sounds like a great barrel cleaner but I wouldn't want to do the whole gun.

Robert

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

It would work with the right solvents. Where can I find one 36 inches long? I doubt it would work better than soaking and brushing the barrel.

Pat Ireland

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've been looking for one between 30-36" long and haven't had any luck.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There are companies that service the aerospace industry that have sonic cleaners that are easily large enough but there is no real advantage to the process (and its cost) for something as crude as a gun barrel.

Cut a suitable length of 4" sch. 40 pvc pipe cap it at one end, stand it vertical and fill with your choice of solvents (I use Stoddard Solvent). Put the barrel in muzzle first and swab away with you bore rod and a bronze brush.

MK

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have an old one from a hospital - it's about 18" by 24". Great for pistols and choke tubes.

Not sure what benefit it would have for a barrel...

that being said, it DOES get plastic build up 'out' of choke tubes - it actually raises the plastic a little and then a brush can knock it out easily.

I have done larger items in it - you need to build a jig (see Unkown1's comment above) - if you fill the cleaner tank with water, etc. and then stand a larger object (e.g., PVC pipe) also filled with a fluid in the tank the sound waves travel through both. I've done a large SS filter that was about 4 ~ 5 inches by 30 this way.

It takes more time, but it worked perfectly.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Why not a rod, brass brush, a variable speed drill and your 'favorite' solvent?

Just don't wear your best shirt or do it in your wife's fancy sittin' room.

Guy Babin

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have a ultrasonic cleanner. I have worked with this stuff in medical industry for 45 yrs. I don't use a solvent I use a dishwashing liquid that has a type of citrus in it. That is what we use in the Device industry. About 15 minutes in the hot water sonic tank and you reciever will be as clean as you are going to get. You just take it off the stock and put the reciever in the tank, make sure it does not rest on the bottom but have it susppended in the water. If you tank holds a couple of gallons of water the as far as a citrus type cleanner all you need is not more 4 to 5 table spoons full. Rinse off with a little cool water pressure and should be clean. If not put back in one more time. When you give a final rinse do it with the hot water not hotter that what you can stand to hold on to it your self. Let it dry then spray with some oil. Nothing to it. You don't need to dissemble the reciever the sonic will get it as clean as you possibley could. B12

9. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    Try Omega Sonics. We use them to clean brass instruments-our large one will fit a huge 5/4 concert tuba, but these cleaners are very expensive. $15,000 for the big one. A little overkill, I think, just to clean a gun barrel. But, a busy gunsmith would love one of these with the right solution/degreaser to cut through grease, oil, and grime. Does a wonderful job on brass.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I just swap the barrel with MEK and let it set for a few minutes. The plastic fouling just wipes away. Use gloves and good ventilation when using MEK.

I oil up a few cotton swaps to get the area's around the rib.

I don't swab my barrels very much these days as the DownRange wads leave very little in the way of residue.

ss

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

For those interested in a 36" ultrasonic gun cleaner check the link above. They aren't to hard to find but to my way of thinking just a tad cost prohibitive.

Bob Lawless

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I do not know if I would want to do it with my shotguns because of the cost involved (see preceding post), but I do it routinely with my pistols. They come out CLEAN! You can buy the ultrasonic cleaner with timer & warmer from Northern Industries for less than $300.+ shipping. Chichay

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Here's one that work,s nicely ... just not real cost effective

SharperTek Professional Ultrasonic Weapon Cleaner

Our new 2009 ultrasonic weapon cleaner will quickly and effortlessly remove dirt, carbon, and grease from even the most soiled rifles, revolvers, pistols, and all other guns. Ultrasonic waves penetrate deep into those hard-to-reach places for thorough and effortless cleaning. This ultrasonic weapon cleaner saves you the work of cleaning your guns by hand, while restoring the guns to look like new!

Made in Detroit, MI, USA!
    Accessories:

Polycarbonate Cleaning Trays - Protect your guns while cleaning/lubricating them with the most powerful gun cleaning technology in existence!
    8 Gallons Ultrasonic Gun Cleaning Solution - Removes dirt, carbon, and grease from even the hardest places to reach by hand! Dilutes to 5 gallons each (40 gallons total).
    8 Gallons Ultrasonic Gun Lubricating Solution - Environmentally safe lubricant protects guns from rust and reduces friction to increase shooting distance and prevent the gun from jamming!
    4oz Oil with Needle-Point Dispenser - A little extra oil to take with you on the field in case you need it!
    This Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner Has Two Tanks, so You Can Clean and Lubricate at the Same Time!

Ultrasonic Cleaner Specifications:

Professional grade model
    Very reliable industrial-grade transducer
    Engineered and designed in the U.S.A. by SharperTek® - Not a cheap unit!
    Temperature-regulated heating element for best cleaning results
    Tank Material: Stainless Steel
    Power Supply: AC 100 ~ 120V, 50 / 60Hz
    Tank Capacity: 11 Gallons (each)
    Timer: Adjustable up to 30-minute cleaning cycles
    Weight: 60 lb
    Warranty: 2 years
    Technical Questions: Call SharperTek® engineering: (248)-930-9653
    Customer Service and Sales: (248)-340-0593

Rifle_CleanerRegular price: $13,500.00Sale price: $9,950.00

14. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Why do you want to clean a shotgun barrel?

jim brown

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I just traded off a large industrial ultrasonic cleaner with a built in tank heater to a buddy for gun stuff. No one else was interested in it.

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ah yes, MEK = Methyl eythll ketone, darn good stuff. SP ? We used it to keep the felt tips of the windshield primer bottles from gumming up at Jeep. They applied a primer to windshield flange on the Wrangler so that the urethane would bond. bill

17. Gil

Gil Member

Does anyone know what qualities are needed to use sonic cleaning? I have a used sonic cleaner and used isopropyl alcohol with mixed results to clean my Ljutic triggers. Will water with soap work better? All advice appreciated. George Miller

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Brownells sells a non-flammable, water soluble one that I like.

It is concentrated, so you dilute it with water.

Once clean you dry the parts and oil.

You can "float" another small tub of oil with the parts in it on the top of the solvent to drive the oil into the action...

19. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

If real dirty, I have used Simple Green with water in a 1:3 ratio by volume with good results. If not too dirty you can go 1:5. Chichay

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You can get the smaller models at harbor freight for pretty cheap. great for triggers,pistols, parts ETc. I know guys who use them with different solutions to clean brass rather then tumble it. It's amazing how much crud builds up INSIDE a rifle case that tumbling does not remove. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.