1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Calkidd, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good homemade cleaning solution to be used in an ultrasonic cleaning tank?

I am looking for a solution that I can put my choke tubes and receiver in to clean periodically. It seems my choke tubes get the worse of the plastic fouling.

Bryan

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Depends on how big your tank is. I have a five gallon tank on mine, so I fill it with water and then place a jar of slip 2000 with the tubes inside into the water. The energy passes through the water, through the glass into the slip 2000.

This works great for a few tubes.

Brownells has a water soluble concentrate that you can put directly into a small tank as well, as I recall it comes in quart and gallon sizes. Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc. all sell some kind of cleaner.

I like the slip 2000 or Brownells concentrate.

One thing to be careful of is to be sure the solution you use is non-flammable (e.g., Ed's Red might work well, but it is too flammable to use in an electrically driven machine).

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Water and Dawn dish soap will clean anything.

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use Simple Green, 30-50% diluted in water, and place the solution and the chokes in a zip lock bag (snack size), and the bag in water. Cleaned small gun parts the same way.

5. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Have a look at this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99kGy8-bGXs

6. Calkidd

The ultrasonic is only a 2.5L capacity. Will it harm it to put a simple green solution directly into the tub?

7. Chichay

My tub is made of stainless steel and have done that without problems while cleaning larger gun parts. Have never used pure simple green; always diluted with water. The strongest was 50:50. Chichay

8. Calkidd

Judging by the video link, it looks like the simple green is not the way to go. I am going to try the vinegar, soap and salt. The Hornady solution doesn't seem to have that great of a review either.

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Here's the recipe that works wonders with brass; should work with choke tubes, too.

2 - 3 quarts hot water

1/2 TSP of Dawn dishwashing soap

1 TBSP Lemishine crystals. You can find this at any Walmart grocery, in the dishwasher soap section.

10. Calkidd

Thanks I'll try it out.

11. Chichay

Thanks for the tip, Kiv-c. Better result for less money is always good. Chichay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sonicc cleaner choke tube

ultrasonic choke cleaning

ultrasonic choketube