1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultra-sonic Cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom@eel, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Anyone use an ultra-sonic cleaner for detachable trigger groups? If so.....blow dry...oven dry...then lube? This would not substitute for annual dis-assembly type cleaning.
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Tom

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I do. Ultrasonic from Harbor Freight. I use mineral spirits. Its a heated unit, so by the time you run it through a few cycles, the part comes out VERY hot, and pretty much self dries, but I spray it out w/ an air compressor, hose it down w/ rem-oil, and blow it off again. Grease where it needs it, and I'm good to go for another season, or until I shoot in the rain...

3. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Thanks Skeet. I'm using a cleaner called RAM PLUS, recommended by Stu Wright. Water base like the green stuff, works very well. However being water based, any water moisture left on bearing surfaces would be a bad thing. Any worries using flammable solutions in a heated bath? Tom

4. skeet_man

I would think as long as you aren't smoking or have an open flame close to it, you should be fine. Autoignition is close to 700*, and the ultrasonic would melt before you'd come close to half that.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have a five gallon unit - A bit expensive to feed, so I fill it with water, then 'float' smaller containers in it with cleaning solution, etc.

I woud have one with your cleaner, and then another with an oil/lube.

Clean the trigger, then blow it off as best you can, then into the oil bath to get rid of the water.

I'd let it drip dry over night after that.

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Be sure to leave you parts suspended off the botton durring the cleanning if you are using sonic cleanning.Its the best way to go. The dirt will be gone in little time. Blow off with air hose. Oil with water displacement oil after air drying till parts are cool. No need to disassemble everything when sonic cleanning. Just don't set the parts on the bottom. Wild Bill

7. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Bill....."water displacement oil" such as CLP or? Tom

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Click above, this is what I use and haven't had any problems.

9. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Thanks Dave, that's what I'm looking for. And I thought the cleaner was expensive. Tom

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have found any citris dish washing liquid you by at the grocery. Very small amount.About cap full to half gallon of water. Get temp. up to at least 160 degrees. We use this on stainless insturments. Wild Bill

11. dontate

dontate Member

An excellent water based de-greaser for ultrasonic use is the following:
    1/3 Diluted dishwashing liquid, 1/3 Isopropyl or methanol alcohol, 1/3 Ammonia.
    This mix will remove grease in a flash just be sure to dry thoroughly before re-lubing.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Skeet_Man,

Do you use the mineral spirits in the ultrasonic cleaner? The instructions tell you not to use anything but water with some detergent in the cleaner. Have you noticed any wear to the cleaner?

Thanks,

Kevin

14. skeet_man

Yes I do use mineral spirits in the cleaner. The mineral spirits have caused no wear to the ultrasonic, the pan is stainless steel. Of course you wouldn't want to get mineral spirits any place you wouldn't want water to get.

15. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The Ultra-sonic cleaner that Skeet_man is referring to is really cool and a shotgun receiver fits in it perfectly wuth plenty of room for other items. It is about $75 if I recall and it has adjustable cycle times for cleaning and it also uses heat. I've owned mine for about 3 months now and it works great. I just didn't know you could use mineral spirits in it without damaging it.

16. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

b12,

Why do you believe you need to suspend the item in the ultrasonic and not have it touch the bottom?

Regards,

Chip Porter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mineral spirits ultrasonic cleaner