1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Fit Comb - Kudos

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Love the PFS but struggled to get a good feel with the existing comb - decided to take the plunge and get the Ultimate Fit Comb from Vern Brown at PFS.

WOW!

Talk about nice.

The package comes in a plastic box similar to the tool/parts box for the PFS and contains the comb piece and all the bars, posts, washers, bolts etc.

We were able to get a much better result using the new UFC than the old cheekpiece - if you're thinking about it take the plunge. We have the PFS fitted to a Perazzi MX3 Special and my son LOVES the way this comb feels, after ONE day of shooting he couldn't believe the difference, slick, smooth and fits perfectly. Adjustments are easy and able to make micro changes if necessary.

Vern doesn't have any pictures of it on his site so I might take a couple if anybody is interested.

Thanks Vern - udaman!

Jim

2. laura!

laura! Member

Jim,

Please post pictures or email. I shoot an MX3 with a PFS. I covered the cheek piece with "leather" which helped because the cheek piece got so cold this winter I couldn't stay in the gun.

Thanks,
    Laura

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Laura,

I'll take the camera to the range tomorrow and we'll get some shots of it in action and laying on the bench. Should have them up tomorrow evening.

Have you tried that stick on moleskin?? that sounds slightly warmer than leather. Do you live in a cold climate?? If yes, why? :)

4. laura!

laura! Member

To stupid to move I guess. I'm in the mid-Atlanntic so it's really not that bad. I used "leather" - fake leather. It's black so it looks more stylin' than moleskin and is easier to keep clean. It's esier to dry off after I been crying over my poor winter league scores ;-(

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Laura

5. deking00

deking00 Member

Here is couple pictures Vern sent me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Here is a picture of the parts kit that comes with the comb.

Not pictured is the comb itself, the additional plate (I installed the narrower version) and the shortest posts of the 3 provided.

You need 2 allen wrneches to do the entire job (not provided - Vern, you should add these to the parts kit).

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

A picture of the comb installed on the PFS. Sorry for the shadows, bright sunny day at the club today.

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

A closer view of the comb and plate

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

A shot of the offside of the comb.

The offside of the comb has a flat side to it.

After shooting a couple of rounds today my son felt the comb needed slightly less cast - took all of 2 minutes to adjust.

I have to say that the PFS is a remarkable device. My boy is growing like a weed - age 14 and 6'1" and still got 4-5 inches left I'd say judging by the size of his feet and hands. Keeping up with his growth is no problem with the PFS and micro adjustments are possible to ensure that his sight picture remains the same. Now that we have the comb dialed in we'll leave it alone until the next growth spurt dictates an adjustment. Target breaks look good, sight picture looks good, mount looks good - time to leave it alone and go shoot.

10. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

FlaLagarto,

You can set it up either way. We tried both and my son preferred it this way. You only need access to the plate for vertical adjustments and for some reason my eye feels more comfortable making those adjustments from the onside as opposed to the offside.

I imagine that if you need a huge amount of cast in the comb that the set screws might get in the way of the face and require you to mount the plate the way you suggest.

Richard - please contact Vern Brown at PFS for pricing. It would be inappropriate of me to post it here.

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

One thing I forgot to mention - because the MX3 Special has such a flat rib we lowered the original fctory cheekpiece as low as it would go but we ran out of space when the bottom edge of the comb bumps up against the recoil tube (bottom rod in photos).

The new Ultimate Fit Comb has a bunch more room to lower the comb waaayyy more than the is possible with the factory cheekpiece.

Okay - I'm done pimping the UFC (no commercial affiliation BTW).

What we really need is a solution to the grip problem - one size grip does not fit all. If Vern could figure out how to conquer that little problem then he'd have all the bases covered.

Jim

12. laura!

laura! Member

Jim,
    Thanks for posting the pictures & info. I ordered mine today.
    Laura

13. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

How much does this after market product cost ???????

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Bryn,

I already posted a reply to this question - I'm not the seller of the product and do not feel comfortable discussing price and unfortunately the price is not on the website.

Please call Vern Brown at 719 250 7727 (cell) and he WILL answer all your questions - Vern is a really nice guy and extremely helpful.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.