1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ulnar nerve surgery ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Traster67, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traster67

Traster67 TS Member

My husband is about to have ulnar nerve surgery and they are replacing the nerve on the forearm and this is the only place I have found anyone tlaking about it and so my question is .... is it painful after the procedure ?
    how long is it painful for ? how long are you down with it ? are you in a cast or wrap ? if someone could please answer me asap i would be very grateful

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Just had it done 3 weeks ago. However, I did not have an actual detachment done. It sounds like that's what your husband will have. On my elbow, the surgeon made about a 4" incision, and went in and removed scar tissue that had the ulnar nerve pinched and twisted. She then "ran" the nerve down into my forearm to make sure that it was "fixed".

As far as pain, It's not bad at all. They knock you out for the surgery, then my Dr. had me on 2 500mg lortabs evry 4 hrs. I'm back to about 85%, however my pinky is still numb. After the surgery, I was numb from the elbow down. The numbness goes away a little every day until it's gone completely. My Dr. says that I am progressing very well. I am also 34. If I missed anything, feel free to ask. I think Mr. Dodd had the detachment surgery. He posts on here often. Good luck!

p.s.- Haven't taken a pain killer in a couple of weeks, and they wrapped my arm from mid bicep down in thick gauze and ace bandages.

3. Traster67

Traster67 TS Member

thank you very much for the info,i'm a plasterer and i put a lot of preesure on my elbow and shoulder,so i was wandering how long i will out after the ulner nerve surgery.do they let you move it right away, or do you have to wait? i have a real problem with sitting still.do you have much pain still when you grab things? thanks....

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ah ha, I responded to your other thread. I had a relocation of the ulnar nerve in May. If it's a "relocation" not a "replacing" the nerve as you stated, they will make the incision described by blizzard suggests and will find a "better" place for the nerve to reside than before. In my case, they cut a muscle in the forearm, slipped the nerve behind it, and re-attached the muscle - there is no cutting of the nerve. I had some pain for a couple of days but not serious. There was a soft wrap to limit movement for about 2 or 3 weeks; 3 - I think, and then a period of another month with no more than 5 lbs lifting. If there is no cutting of muscle in your case, I'd think this limitation wouldn't be as long.

My original injury dates back to 1966 when I destroyed the Radial head in the elbow and they simply opened things up, excised the radial head, and tossed it into the nearest trash can before closing. This left the elbow and wrist unstable for life. I managed to complete my law enforcement career well with the arm wearing a stability brace on the wrist much of my time. Eventually the movement of parts in the elbow from the loss of the radial head caused the ulnar nerve being impinged and necessitating the surgery of which you ask.

The point is that if your elbow is still in sound condition, unlike mine, you probably will have very little problems recovering from the ulnar nerve "relocation" if that's what it is. In my case, I now have wraps for both the elbow and wrist, each or both as necessary, to stabilize those areas better while performing certain tasks. The wrist is almost always wrapped for shooting shotguns. I don't wash the truck or car without securing the elbow and wrist. It is this dilemma that makes me shoot poorly - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!<;-) Good luck.....Bob Dodd

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Hi Traster,

I perform this surgery and I think Bob hit it on the head. If you don't have a "transposition" i.e. the nerve is just released, you won't have much pain or restriction afterward.

If the nerve IS transposed then it is buried under your flexor muscles in the forearm and you will be in a splint afterward until the muscle heals. I splint my patients for three weeks and then limit them some afterward with lifting and mobility.

I don't decide whether to transpose the nerve until I see it in surgery

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It is a standard operation for arm wrestlers.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I'm a welder/fabricator/milwright, and I am free to return to work in another 3 weeks, supposed light duty. Like there's such a thing in my profession. You either can or you can't. I would imagine a plasterer is going to be the same way.

My wrap was off in a week. But bear in mind, my nerve was just "released" as the Doc above put it. I just wish that the feeling would return in my pinky. I can't complain though, the surgery was on 8/22, and I drew my bow today to see if I could. It's set at 70lbs. It's a shame that the drugs they give you before the surgery knock you out so fast.:)

8. Traster67

Traster67 TS Member

thank you all very much for the info. you all have made it easyier and i thank you .i will keep in touch and let you know how it goes, once again thank you.

9. Traster67

Traster67 TS Member

thank you all very much for the info. you all have made it easyier and i thank you .i will keep in touch and let you know how it goes, once again thank you.

10. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

listen to handlepuller, I think he knows of what he speaks.

BIll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ular nerve surgery forum

ulnar nerve transposition forum