1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Uhhhh, newbie here

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by neofight, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

As my username implies, i am the new kid on the block. Hardly a kid at 68, but a kid at heart and looking
    forward to shooting trap. My neighbor up the hill invited me to shoot a month ago and we've been hitting the range every week since, me shooting with his back-up gun.

I have shot a couple different modeIs, talked with a few guys at the club and read about everything i could find on the web and decided on a new
    Browning Citori XT Trap with the 32" barrels and the adj. comb. I did consider buying a used, but nothing local has shown up and i hesitate to buy used on-line without knowing the seller and even less about firearms in general. The last time a shotgun was in my hands was back in the '50's when i hunted birds with my dad.

The guys at the club have been very helpful and i feel comfy knowing that safety is first. Let's see now, earplugs, snappy looking shooting vest, gun safe, re-loader,powder, shot, hulls, wads, primers and glasses. Yup, that should make a dent in the checkbook.

John Bloom from Brookings, Or.

2. 20yard

20yard TS Member

John,
    Plunge right in, then after a while you'll understand it's not a gun but more likely a second gun for doubles and of course as time passes another new gun will catch your eye. I think about 2 years per gun is a good target. Of course many a trap shooter says i've spent $100,000 on guns and amo in my pursuit, but all the rest of my money was wasted.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

You've only scraped the dust off the checkbook, believe me.

4. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Well, I'm glad SOMEONE has the " snappy looking shooting vest" part taken care of! Trap shooting is similar to golf! You don't have to be good at it as long as you LOOK good doing it! I used to shoot with a guy that probably wore BOB ALLEN underwear beneath his BOB ALLEN everything else. He couldn't hit one cheek of his butt against the other while walking let alone hit a clay target but he sure looked good trying!!!

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well welcome to the club I was "NEW" kid last year. Almost everyone here is friendly as can be and I have yet to have had a deal gone wrong buying or selling here.

As for your choice of Browning XT with 32"bbl great choice and if your going to do it get 1 with adjustable comb(cause your just going to want 1 later) it is fancy enough to hang with all the big guns and you will have the gun to shoot doubles if and when your ready to try it.

I my self picked up a very nice Ultra Xt with 32"bbl and adj comb for $1500 with only 1 scratch. I also bought a Bt99 adj comb for my 15yr old which hes never shot(but dad likes hahaha) for the same price only new.

And the guys are right even if you are good at it yet if you look the part nobody questions it yer just haveing an off day.

Key is JUST HAVE FUN

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Good luck Shoot Well

7. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Keep a notebook of your scores and what you miss at each station. For example, today I shot a 22 (..2.1), a 24 (..1..), a 24 (..1..) and a 25. Notice that I miss at station 3. I do the same for handicap but I did not shoot that today.

After a few months, count the rounds and multiply that number times the cost of a round(clay ticket + ammo) -- you can use that info to get a general idea of how much your retirement will shrink per year. I was shocked at my expense!

...and dont tell your wife or kids the cost of your new addiction. They'll think you are crazy!

8. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

And please buy the 1100 that pokerdand has been offering for quite a while. He's a great guy to deal with!

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Welcome aboard and develop a thick skin because we all take shots at each other, but all in good fun. Bulge.

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

When you find the one that fits/shoots/breaks birds without conscious effort, don't sell it. It can always be brought out of the closet for the big ones.

I've had dozen(s) of moderately priced trap guns (Win 12, 101, Daly, Browning Citori/cynergy, etc) and still rely on my 870TB (bought in 1972) when the money is on the line or when my team needs a 49 or 50. With all original parts except the receiver, it is still the go to gun. No thought required. Pick it up, align the sights, forget the sights, call "pull" and break the bird....nothing like muscle memory and 350,000 or so birds.

Experiment but when you find "it"...keep it, even if something else looks good.

Kind of like a wife...except I've never experimented with another, even after 44 years.

11. neofight

neofight TS Member

I just re-read my original post and I see that I failed to mention that I actually bought the Clitori today, at least ordered it anyway. I'm sure i'll end up with a couple more guns before I end up in an advanced stage of decay, but in the meantime, I just plan on having some fun and enjoy the drive up the coast to the range. Having a tough time on deciding on either a seal-skin tunic type vest in Hugger orange or maybe something quilted like a Chinese peasant might wear. Too many decisions, my head is starting to hurt.

12. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Sounds like it't time for a Bud!

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Why buy a vest!!!, maybe just a box holder to clip on your belt. Its going to get hot pretty soon. You can't go wrong with a Browning, so Enjoy. Exept maybe their factory adjust combs. Aftermarkets by the best in the buiness "Country Gentleman" is still cheaper and he has much better "metal hardware" in the comb. Maybe to late for you to change though. Also you might want to hold off a bit on reloading and see how you like shooting first. You can always get into reloading after you are sure your going to stay in the sport!!! To reload right it'll cost you about a grand or more to get set-up w/ machine and all 4 components all bought in bulk to save the most money, and not everyone enjoy's reloading. Sounds like you got both your feet WET right away, so have fun and be safe. Oh Yeh, Break-em all. Jeff

14. TC

TC TS Member

Welcome John, have fun. Tony

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Spend it before your kids and grandkids do. I think you need a new K-80....

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Welcome to the club; do remember to have fun and not to worry too much about the details.....Bob Dodd - Eugene, OR

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

About 5 years ago I started shooting trap as a retirement hobby...bought a new Browning XT 32" with fixed comb and shoot it as well as anything. Later bought another XT 32" used with an aftermarket adjustable comb. You simply cannot go wrong with an XT; that said, you may want to go ahead and get a new one which will last for many, many years...and you don't have to worry about getting stung. Best Regards, Ed

18. biff

biff Active Member

Best advice that could have been give me when I started would have been "stop now, run the other direction". I know that sounds terrible, but you have no idea how addictive shooting trap is, let alone how expensive too! The average trapshooter will drive 50 miles to save 50 cents on some component and will justify their shooting by how much they saved on different needs!

I would now be owner to TWO river bottom farms had I not started shooting trap less than 10 years ago! But I wouldn't have met the great groups of friends I have met which no price could be put on that!! Welcome, I hope what I said hasn't discouraged you in the least, but it has been said! Besides shooting trap has such a redeeming value! Biff

19. 82nd Trooper

82nd Trooper TS Member

John,

Also new but what a great sport and good group of folks.

Have fun...sometimes to do this you have to leave your ego in the parking lot. lol

ST

20. neofight

neofight TS Member

When the "woman who must be obeyed" gave me the green light on the Citori, i agreed to give up smoking and that alone will cover my week-to-week expenses for shells and fees at the club.Fishing has been my main interest,taking most of my available $, but that stupid ocean is not always cooperative and trap sure seems like a great way to spend a little time away from the house and yard.

The guys i have met so far have been very helpful and friendly. I expect to get some crapolla as i am used to being an under-achiever : )Humility is actually a good thing. I am quickly learning that there is far more to it than grabbing pop's old beater field gun and expecting to see clay parts flying. I am only shooting about 18-21 for my first 4 attempts, but hope to get a little better with my new gun and as time creeps on, as long as my eyesight holds up.

My wife has expressed an interest in this, so looks like more $ may be growing wings, but well worth it if i can get her out there to smell the powder.

Thanks again for all your input, appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.