1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Uh oh...slob shooters in Idaho?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by buzzgun, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Idaho shooters target National Guard By JOHN MILLER, Associated Press Writer
    Thu Apr 5, 9:19 AM ET

BOISE, Idaho - For years, ATV-riding, gun-toting sport shooters have flouted gun laws in part of Idaho's high desert by taking pot shots at ground squirrels and other animals. Now, officials say, they're also setting their sights on National Guard tanks that train in the area.

Rifles and pistols have been banned in a 68,000-acre area of the Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area since 1996.

But the federal Bureau of Land Management is considering expanding the gun-restricted area by 41,000 acres to try to limit shootings at Idaho Army National Guard troops who report slugs bouncing off their tanks on a regular basis.

"There's a segment of the shooting community that will shoot at anything that moves," said John Sullivan (news, bio, voting record), the area's manager.

National Guard spokeswoman Lt. Col. Stephanie Dowling said she thinks the proposed expansion would help alleviate the problem.

"What's happened over time, as the population has grown, we get more and more people out there," said Dowling. "Not everybody uses good safety precautions."

Idaho is the third-fastest growing state, after only Nevada and Arizona.

Rancher Tom Nicholson sees changes in the range as more people move to Boise 25 miles away, then drive out into this mostly open country looking for fun.

The region is part of a 490,000-acre federal preserve where prairie falcons and eagles soar above, hunting ground squirrels that pop their heads by the thousands above the warming earth.

With just two agents to patrol 4 million acres of desert near Boise, gun enthusiasts regularly defy the ban by shooting squirrels, protected birds and even grazing cattle, park officials say.

Because money is already stretched thin, land management agents generally only cite illegal shooters they catch in the act. A photographer recently captured what looked to be a squirrel gunner in a restricted part of the conservation area, but even in that case, chances of prosecution are slim.

"If that was a photo of sufficient clarity that we could identify him, we would seek to prosecute," Sullivan said.

Fewer than 10 people per year are ticketed for illegal shooting in the area of the park, said Sullivan. A citation carries a penalty of up to a $1,000 fine and a year in prison.

Mark Fuller, director of the Rapter Research Center at Boise State University, estimates that dozens of protected birds are shot annually in the park, including in the restricted area.

He said the long-term negative effects on the park's 24 bird species populations haven't yet been documented.

Nicholson, who owns thousands of cattle that graze in the park, said shooters kill several each year.

He's remarkably forgiving, especially for someone who is out more than $1,000 every time a cow dies.

"It's public land," Nicholson said. "They have as much right to be on the range as we do."

Shotguns, which have a shorter range, are still allowed in the area.

The situation was even worse before the rifle-and-pistol ban in 1996, Sullivan said.

Soldiers training for missions in Iraq or other war zones are only looking for simulated battles, he said — not real bullets whizzing their way.

"It was like World War III on the weekends," he said.

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

It is scum like that that give sportsmen a bad name. Why on earth would one want to shoot at your own National Guard anyway? Stupid. John

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Um...they're in a tank being shot at?

SHOOT BACK! That should send a meesage!

4. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I like what Sam said SHOOT BACK. But yes those so caleed people are doing more damage they any other group. I also say shoot back and let the National Guard have some practic.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I find the story hard to believe.

Can anyone be stupid enough to shoot bullets at a tank?? If so, bring in an Apache attack helicopter and sizzle their butts. Accidents happen.

"Cleanse the gene pool" so these idiots do not reproduce. Jail will not work for people who have been cursed with the common sense of a stone.

Don

6. Lyle

Lyle Member

Sounds like a crock.

7. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

This is BS; the rancher is trying to get everyone kicked out of his grazing area. If he had anything on a shooter, he'd prosecute to the fullest. And the tree huggers want to get rid of the rest of us too and expand "their" protected area. AJ

8. larryjk

larryjk Member

Texshooter, Read the thread again. The rancher says the shooters have as much right there as anyone. I don't understand your response. Doesn't sound to me like he is trying to get anyone kicked off. I would not be that reasonable if I was in his shoes, and I bet you wouldn't either.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

These are the same dickheads that leave ruts in the prairie, run 4 wheelers in the desert off the known trails & roads, and like that.

They also leave large balls of monofilament by my river so the young creatures can snarl up and die in it, and leave bottles and cans all over the landscape.

so I'm a jerk for posting my land.

HM

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

The rancher said the same thing I would have said when I was ranching and trying to really restrict the public access to "my" land (really BLM public land). He legally cannot restrict their access, unless the goverment and public help him. The military is well represenited here trying to expand the size of their training area (you don't really think people are shooting at National Guardsmen do you?), the rancher really doesn't want you there and he probably is the one shooting at eagles. The treehuggers want to do anything to get rid of you including writting false newspaper articles and putting these antigun notes on line. HM, if you own the properity, post it and protect it, it's yours. AJ

11. Hippo

Hippo TS Member

I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone would shoot a rifle at a tank. Sounds like propaganda, definately more to this story.

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

This sounds like typical liberal propoganda to me. Yea sure, everyting an AP writer writes is true- beam me up Scotty. It's amazing how gullible people are- just look at the infamous April Fools joke by unruly !!!!!!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "This is BS; the rancher is trying to get everyone kicked out of his grazing area. If he had anything on a shooter, he'd prosecute to the fullest. And the tree huggers want to get rid of the rest of us too and expand "their" protected area. AJ"<br>
    <br>
    DING DING DING DING DING - Exactly. I find the whole story to be unbelievable. It's just a steamin' heaping' pile of creamed male bovine fecal matter.

14. furface

furface Member

I have lived in Idaho for 50 years and have never heard of anyone shooting at tanks. Sounds like some more anti-gun spin. Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.