1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugly Crimp Effects

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 101voodoo, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

I usually load up a bin-full of shells before I box them up. As I'm boxing I double check the primers and crimps, and set the 'ugly' crimps aside and shoot them during practice.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody patterned or chrono'ed ugly shells versus normal crimps? What did you find?

Jim

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

With Red Dot, one-ounce loads like good crimps to work right; with 1 1/8 oz. 'bout anything works, probably since the shot-mass is enough to get the pressure up where it needs to be without much help from the crimp. It even works - though imperfectly - with no crimp at all.

These a ounce-and-an-eighth.

[​IMG]

PB is more sensitive, but I doubt you could tell the "no crimp" ones from the others.

[​IMG]

Neil

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I haven't ever seen it to have a noticeable or significant enough effect to not break a target. Over a chorno the speed is reduced although an insignificant amount. I've seen some load recepies that produced more variance.

4. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Thanks,

Didn't figure it mattered much.

When I shoot up the uglies, its a mixed bag of 7/8, 1, 1 1/8 shells with different powders and wads. As long as I stay focused, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Neil, is there anything you don't have a chart on? Those things are great, thanks for all the time you've put into them.

Jim

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jim, one more thing. If you look at that Red Dot graph, you'll see that both the speed and pressures are way, way too high. I did that because I'd already done the PB test and it was clear that (based on the PB basic non-result) not much was going to happen. My pressure barrel is half an inch thick and will take anything, so I thought I'd try Red Dot in a whole different pressure area to see if there was anything there.

Don't load Red Dot to any of those speeds or pressures!!!!!!!!

Neil

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I noticed some time back that ugly crimps put a large variable into the picture, with regard to velocity. Deviation goes way up in a string of shots with a couple uglies.

Nice flat crimps with uniform condition of plastic creates less variation.

Probably no difference in target breaking, but if you are the type that worries about such things It might make a difference. My pal Johnny would not shoot any strange crimps in competition, even though his practice shells with all the funny stuff broke just as many targets.

The mind is a funny thing.

HM

7. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Half Mile,

I agree with your pal Johnny, shooting the uglies for practice and not in competition.

Figure I don't need another stupid thing to think about on the line. Pulling out a shell with a buggered crimp and noticing it? No good could come of it.

Doesn't bother me a bit when I'm shooting whole bag of them for practice though; the mind really is a funny thing.

Jim

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just put the ones with the ugly crimps in your pocket and go the bar and get drunk. Ya know, they all get pretty at closing time. Problem solved.

Gne J

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Neil
    How many grains of Red Dot did you use?

Hippie.... you are so RIGHT!

10. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I also isolate my "ugly" crimps, shoot them in practice then throw them away. They are only going to get worse the next time they are reloaded and life is too short to shoot ugly crimps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.