1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UGB25

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dick, First I hope you get your clearance from your doctor soon. Second I have shot the ugb25 that a good friend of mine has. It was a fun and different gun to shoot, the first time out. The second time out with it, I was able to get a better feel for the gun. I was not impressed. Recoil about the same as a 391 but the sound and vibration of the ugb 25 cycling was clunky like. It opened and closed with a odd feel and balance. I would not recommend buying this gun. Its hard to put together and to take apart, so putting it into a break-down case is not really a option. Must use a gun sleeve type case. It has gotten mixed reviews by the shooters on TS.com as well. To many moving parts is the biggee. They do shoot well and place the empty hull at your feet. I did not try doubles with it. Try one before you buy one. I have seen two at my club, my friend has one and will keep it. The other was traded off for a different gun quickly. My friend does not shoot the ugb25 very often. If you like more info just ask. Break-em all. Jeff

2. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I had a lot to say about my new UGB 25 last year on this list. Short version is, I sold it at a big loss at the first opportunity. In my opinion there is no noticeable reduction in recoil from any other trap gun in my experience. I think an 1100 may even be softer. The thing is a nightmare of springs and levers and I too carried it to the range in a zipper case because you need three hands and a pet monkey to put the thing together. Unlike the above poster I thought the cycling was really cool and I liked the way it broke open. It was fun to shoot and it broke targets to the best of my ability. The real deal breaker for me was it had to be sent back to Beretta for a major repair after 400 rounds and there was no option other than to pick up empties. More than a year later there still is no shell catcher available for it. gyrine

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It has the reliability of an auto loader and the recoil of a break open gun. What would its purpose be? Pain AND frustration?

Bob Schultz

4. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Bob, Well said.

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I've been shooting my UGB25 for almost a year now. Here's my reactions:

1. Accuracy - it hits targets just as well as any gun I own, my Kolar being a possible exception.

2. Recoil - with the standard stock, recoil seems about the same as any other auto. With a custom stock I had made for me, recoil is vastly diminished. I have had the same experience with other guns, and I now believe that perceived recoil, for the most part, is really just perceived stock fit.

3. Reliability - The gun does not cycle very light loads well (which is true of a lot of autos). However, I have never had a 2 3/4 dr. eq. 1 1/8 oz load jam. Never.

4. Ease of assembly - This is an (easily) acquired skill. When I first got the gun, I needed a third party to help assemble it. My gunsmith/stock fitter still does not like to take it apart. But I now assemble/disassemble it every time I shoot, and the process takes about 30 seconds - not really different from any other break-open gun. The trick lies in rotating the gun on the axis of the barrel so that a lever falls down into place rather than needing to be held up. This avoids the need for a third hand and works well. I don't even think about it any more.

5. Shell ejection - This is a mixed bag (pardon the pun). Shells are ejected cleanly forward of the shooter and wind up on the ground. They don't come near any one, and they don't wind up on the pavement, etc. in the way other shooters who follow after you. But there is no shell catcher that I'm aware of.

So what's the gun good for?

First, it hits targets very well and very hard. By very well, I mean it's as accurate and easy to shoot as any gun I've ever shot. By very hard, I mean it really smokes 'em when you hit 'em. I'm still not sure what accounts for this latter aspect. (I have never used a full choke on this gun, so that's not it.)

Second, it's a great way for a left-handed shooter to get a automatic shotgun. (My desire to get a high quality LH auto is what originally led me to the gun.) The forward shell ejection process eliminates the problem that some left-handers have with RH autos, since no spent shells fly by your nose or into your neighbor's face. Better yet, the lever used to open the gun is very, very easy for a left-hander to operate. In fact, I think it's much easier for left-handers to open a UGB25 than it is for right-handers.

Third, it reloads VERY fast, making it an excellent gun for doubles or any other game where you want two quick shots.

Fourth, it's a break open gun, and if it's open it's not going to fire. When you carry it around, it's easy for everyone to see that it's safe.

Its main drawback, in my opinion, is that it's unusual, and I think a lot of tradition-minded people dismiss it on this basis, ether consciously or unconsciously. If new and different is not your bag, leave it alone. But if "unusual" doesn't scare you off, particularly if you're left-handed, you're going to like it.

I think it's a very, very good gun and I shoot (and like) mine a lot.

Ted K.

6. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

"Just read the Shotgun Sports review of the UGB25. The gun got a good review." They should get a good review. I bet Beretta advertises in Shotgun Sports. My son worked as a puller/scorer at the Grand in Vandalia for 2-3 years. Beretta paided my son to help them do show and tells at the practice traps in 2004 I think it was. So I got to shoot it. It kind of a novelty thing I think. The recoil was about the same as 391. So, nothing gained there. It malfunctioned sometimes. I was kind of clunky in a cheap way and looked way to complicated for me to consider it as a serious tool to break clays with. After the the initial curiosity wore off, I lost interest.
    Todd

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I wish I could have seen Gyrine shooting his, or at least asssembing it with his pet monkey. Too many laughs on this site. Shoot often while we can, Bob

8. waynewash

waynewash Member

Shot one with my local Beretta rep. Gun was very accurate and easy to operate. I shot both doubles and singles. Shot 16 yd and handicap, gun worked great. Im left handed and the gun fit well. The only thing I didn't like was picking up the spent brass. I also thought the gun was pricey so I bought an SKB unsingle, im still evaluating that move, and may trade the SKB for the UGB in the spring if the addition of new chokes doesn't improve the SKB's accuracy.
    Try one, I think you might like it.

9. missemucho

missemucho Member

When,in recorded history, has there ever been a "bad" review of a gun in Shotgun Sports? Johnny Cantu has never met a gun he didn't love (at least if they're willing to loan it to him). Magazine has turned into the shooting version of the "wish lists" that you read on airline flights; mostly high priced junk you don't need!
    John

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Being left-handed, I have had an interest in the UGB25 and have been following it for sometime.

After seeing the Browning recoilless prices go from 2200.00 to 800.00 after Browning decided to stop producing it, I think I will get a UGB25 someday, but after it has ceased production.

I learned my lesson the first time with the Recoilless, after I bought 4 of them.

11. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I am a lefty shooter and I concur with the left hand shooters above. The gun is not awkward from the left side with a pull trigger. I had a release in mine and making the gun safe after setting the release was a little scary from the left because you had to actuate the opening lever with the left thumb while holding the trigger back with the left forefinger. It was something you did very carefully, like lighting a smoke while gassing up your car. You can buy almost 3 391's for what you would pay for a UGB 25. A high premium for having a gun that kicks the shells out in front instead of out the side. And you can get a shell catcher for a 391. The gun does cycle the second shell very quickly but so what. I said last year I would buy another one if I could get it for about 1200 bucks, it would not be my main gun, I would use it for casual doubles. I don't think this gun will remain in production much longer. Another point, the plastic fittings on the adjustable comb are crap. All of the allen head screws on the butt stock are soft and different sizes to boot. Repacing those was another expense incurred. gyrine

12. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I own one and really like the way it breaks targets .
    My only complaint is mine shoots too high and despite the fact that Beretta advertises 4 - 5 different stock spacers that could lower the POI I have not been able to get one to lower my stock . The distributor I spoke with says that Beretta don't actually make the ones that are shown in the Owners Manual.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The gun was made for bunker not American trap.

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I predict it will become almost as popular as Brownings recoiless shotguns.

15. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Shot410 is right. Apparently some European rule change requiring break open guns only. Touted as a safety issue. Probably instigated by Beretta.

16. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I guess I am in the minority. I really like mine and have pretty much retired my DT10. My thoughts are:

1. The looks are an acquired taste

2. Not that difficult to assemble but I prefer to keep it assembled in a sleeve

3. Out of the box it does kick. In fact it kicks like hell. But I do think that it takes several hundred rounds for the built in systems to take effect. And if you buy one I would reccomend having Ken Rucker replace the butt plate assembly with his Auto Buster. I did and it is now an extremely soft shooter

4. EVERYONE and I do mean EVERYONE that has shot my gun shot it as good or better than their own gun. It is a very good pointing gun that really smokes the target.

5. In short it is a good singles gun as well as handicap and doubles. And I drop the comb a bit and it is a good sporting clay gun. I use mine for everything

Like I said my DT10 is feeling mightly lonely since I brought home its "ugly sister"

Dan

17. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

If you like this gun, and want to shoot the original, look for a Cosmi. They are a great conversation piece around the campfire, point point well, and are dependable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta ugb john cantu

beretta ugb25 trap for doubles

shell catcher for a ugb 25