1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

UGB25

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mirage1, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Opinions?
  2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

Most of the opinions you will hear come from people like me who have never
    shot one.
    Like the Browning Recoiless, the price of the gun has come down so low that
    there's no reason not to get one. Whether parts will be a problem in the future -who knows. I think it would be a great doubles gun.
  3. tammike

tammike Member

A friend of mine had 2 of them. If you really enjoy cleaning guns when you're not shooting them this, is the gun for you. I did shoot one of his and never missed. Having that been said I, still shoot an O/U.
  4. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Ok Ok one more Time. DO NOT buy a UGB25 with a serial # lower than 250. The first 250 had some issues that were a Pain In the BUTT. Now, if you buy an UGB25 you will LIKE it a lot!!!!!. Great guns with all kinds of bells & whistles and Adjustments. "Remember" do NOT use Beretta oil in this gun, it is too THICK!!!. Spray receiver & barrel with a good cleaner, Blow off with Air, spray with "REM-OIL" let sit a few then blow excess out with AIR. NOT an EXPERT on these But have had, Shot & Sold some. Have Shot 600 rds with out cleaning But,then need to clean it. I Said i was NO Expert but, am speaking from experience THAT's All joe90t
  5. mirage1

mirage1 Member

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

There are quite a few threads on the UGB25 on this website - 5 since the beginning of this year, and more earlier. I have contributed to most of them. All you have to do is do a search for them and you will get a lot of information.

Ted K.
  7. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Anybody know the current list price on one of these?
  8. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

little over 2K
  9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A good conversation piece. Quite unusual in design. Too new to tell if they are a reliable replacement for the o/u. No shell catcher available and empty hulls discharge out the bottom.

Hard to justify the price, even at better than two grand, down half from the original introduction price.

When you can replace and even enhance all the functions of one with a $500. used 1100 with a Danuser recoil device AND slap a 10 buck shell catcher on the ejector port, for well under a grand, Beretta's decision to make and market this Rube Goldberg stretches ones imagination.
  10. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Barry -

An 1100 is no replacement for a UGB. I know - I tried. Yes, the 1100 can accept a shell catcher, but that's it. My 1100 jams about once ever 500 shells, and each time it's a different reason. My UGB failed to lock up once in about 8,000 shells. That's the only malfunction I've had, and it was fixed for $137.

I can understand why you would think the two guns are in the same class, since I get the same number of 25 straights with each gun, but the reliability problem is a show stopper. I recently gave up on my 1100 when it failed twice in one day - for two different reasons. Tomorrow I'm going shooting, and I'm taking my UGB. The 1100 stays home, even though I like how it shoots.

Ted K.
  11. DoogieREDGTI

DoogieREDGTI TS Member

I LOVE my UGB. I have 1500 rounds through it and I had 0 problems. My challenge is finding a $20 part for it. The recoil reducer. I found the tread with the parts listing and ordered everything. This reducer is backorder till June/July. I was trying to see if anyone has one they could measure and maybe a local machine shop could make one for me.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Brian D
    (I have a lot of weird and different shotguns and the UGB is now my favorite. I shot back to back 45/50 rounds of sporting clays with it. 45 is my personal best!!!)
  12. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Doogle-

Ya got me.

What is the recoil bar? And where is it in the gun? If yours is broken, could you take it to a machine shop and ask the machinist to dope out the required dimensions?

Ted K.
  13. DoogieREDGTI

DoogieREDGTI TS Member

Hey Ted Sorry - Its the reducer. Here the stuff that I ordered.
    It's the last part that looks like a metal bar that is narrow on the end to hold the spring. I have the other 4 parts. It plugs in inside the stock.
    So far 0 luck with Brownells, Joel Ettchen, Midway.

This was from a post I found here back in Feb/Mar this year.
    "VALKYRIE............. There are 5 parts from Brownells 800 741-0015 (913-200-252 absorber,shock,mobile mass,391 $4.90) (913-301-393 absorber guide bushing UGB $7.58) 913-301-394 plate recoil reduce UGB $8.30) (913-200-242 spring shock absorber, 391 XTRM $4.91) (913-301-400 recoil reducer UGB $20.03)"

Any help is appreciated!!!

Doogie
  14. DoogieREDGTI

DoogieREDGTI TS Member

I am actually trying to develop a shell catcher for the UGB. It's not somthing that attached to the gun. I reload and hate picking them off the ground. I use the UGB for Sporting Clays and some ranges the shells get thown in weeds, water, down hills.

Doogie
  15. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

3000 rounds gun started to fail on loading second round from the shelf clean every thing with hope 9 blow out allof it makesure u flush out all of under forearm parts lube with lite stym oil better than new and i shoot 7/8 16.5 allient extra lite the gun is a target eater
  16. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Doogle -

The shell catcher I use when I shoot my UGB is a gizmo intended to be used to pick up metal parts or tools that fall down inside an engine bay or the like. It telescopes (much like an old-style auto antenna) and has a magnet on the end. You can get one from Harbor Freight with a fairly strong magnet, or you can get a smaller version at Kragen. Whichever you get, it avoids the stooping and duck walking that I frequently see on trap ranges, and an entire box of shells can be picked up in about two minutes. It will not suffice if the next squad wants to shoot immediately, but in most other cases, it works just fine.

Ted K.
  17. DoogieREDGTI

DoogieREDGTI TS Member

Hey Ted -- I have one of those. I use it alot around house and at work with computers. I'm actually trying to catch 6 to 10 shells. I hope to have a second design completed soon. I don't want to attach it to the gun. I'm lucky cause the UGB ejects down. Plus my shells are getting mixed with others. My first design only catches 4 to 6 shells then 6 through 10 bounced out.

Doogie
  18. DoogieREDGTI

DoogieREDGTI TS Member

Great New Brownels emailed me today that they shipped my recoil reducer. What a relief that I won't have to wait till June/July for it.

Doogie
  19. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

why do u need a reducer mine has no kick??
  20. gcessna

gcessna Member

I posted the parts for the recoil reducer under I guess VALKYRIE. I put the reducer in because I wanted my brother to start shooting again, He broke his shoulder 10 yrs or so ago. Lightning is right it is such a soft shooter. I can't tell the difference. I shoot mostly 16.5 x-lite and one ounce. On occasion I shoot 26.5 Unique and 1 and a 1/4+ and not much diff. between the two. There are so many myths and incoreect stories about the UGB. I have about 5,000 round through mine. I hear of the REM. oil, I cleaned mine and used Hoppe's grease. I fired 200 rnds. of x-lite no failure. My brother bought a REM. Synthetic comp. It will not cycle my x-lite reloads. Another myth, I put 750 rnds. through mine in 5 days one day of rain, no failures. I have had some problems, was sent the wrong choke, had to to send the barrel to the choke Manf. A screw loosened in the forend sent to Midwest gunworks under warranty. they are excellent.

Gary Cessna
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.