1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UGB25 - Update & Issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UGB25, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UGB25

UGB25 TS Member

I noticed on Trapshooters.com you were looking for feedback on the Beretta
    UGB25. I just completed my 10 day wait from purchasing the UGB from Able's
    on 12/22/08. I have been shooting trap for about six months now and decided
    to step up to a competition grade gun. I like Beretta's and have been
    shooting my Silver Pigeon IV field gun with good success. I looked an many
    O/U's and decided why not go all out and buy the new UGB25 since it was
    advertised as the ultimate completion gun.

Wow! I'm really disappointed. I now have 400 rounds through the gun and
    can say the breach bolt fork is a bad and cheep design. The gun keeps
    jamming or locking every 20 to 30 rounds. I've called Able's and they
    told me to just make sure I slam the action hard to get the fork to align
    properly. Well that was 250 rounds ago and it's still jamming. I went to
    a local gun smith and he said, after close examination, he thinks the breach
    bold fork design is poor and will give more trouble as it begins to wear or
    break-in. The bottom part of the fork is designed to push the bolt back as
    you press down on the lock with your thumb. The trouble is the fork is make
    of cheep steel and tends to bend or bow under pressure. If you don't slam
    the action closed hard the bottom part of the fork lodges on top of the bolt
    lever and jams. When it jams the fork bends against the trigger housing
    causing the safety to jam in the fire position. You cannot move the safety
    back until you have disassembled the action to un-jam the breach fork. What
    a pain.

I'm hoping Able's will give me a refund or trade for another shotgun.

Tom

Up-date 12/30

Just got off the phone with Able’s manager. They were really nice and said they could not give me a complete refund because it’s considered a used gun but could most likely get 85% cash back. I asked about a trade down to the O/U SV-10 and they said that would not be a problem. The SV-10 is about $300 less than the UGB.

They are having many similar complaints about the UGB. Jamming connected to the breach fork is high on the list followed by broken breach lever issues and trigger safety issues. Although Beretta claims to have fixed the problems Able’s will no longer stock the UGB. Too many headaches and too many potential problems as the gun wears.

For me it’s back to a simple reliable O/U that’s dual purpose trap and field. I really like the SV-10’s ability to switch between auto shell extract or manual extract. The hunting club I belong to requires everyone to police their shells to keep the field clean. Not easy to do when my Silver Pigeon IV auto extract sends empty’s flying into the tall weeds. Seems when they designed the Silver Pigeon line they were competing to see how far their auto extract system could toss empty shells.

Any Feed back on the SV-10 would be appreciated.

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Consider a Beretta 391 series dedicated trapgun. People love those, in many ways they are the "small block Chevy" of entry level trapguns; lots of parts and accessories available. See Tron too for upgrades. I use a tricked out 390 as my secondary gun (In case my more expensive SBT has an issue at a shoot) and enjoy my 303 field I use for skeet.

Talk to your dealer; they sound very ethical.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I not surprise the gun is having problems, it seemed like too many moving parts to work well for very long.

What is most surprising is that the marketing (ultimate competition gun) was not accurate. That's got to be a first.

Scott

4. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I too jumped in and bought one of these because of Beretta's advertising and because I thought it was such a neat looking gun. I knew I was taking a chance on the unproven design of a gun that was probably way too complicated for its own good, but as they say, I did it anyway. I too had a jam problem that emerged after about 400 rounds. My problem was unrelated to the one experienced by the person who started this thread. I boxed up the gun and sent it back to Beretta in Maryland. They fixed it in very short order which suprised the hell out of me and it has functioned pefectly since. I had Phillips modify the trigger to release and I have been happy with that conversion. I enjoy shooting the gun very much, but that being said, I still don't really trust it to remain reliable over the long run. I take my backup gun everytime I go shoot. In my opinion Beretta was to eager to put this gun on the market and the first buyers like myself are unwilling Beta testers. This would not bother me so much if Beretta acknowledged that fact and really worked hand in hand with the folks willing to take a chance on an unproven design. That will never happen. I predict that the UGB25 will fade away in fairly short order because no real effort will be made by Beretta to make it a success. A few of us are just going to eat it. In hindsight I wish I had raised a stink with Jacqua's when the thing went tits up in a ditch within two weeks of purchase. I can't blame anyone other than myself for that. In the meantime I keep shooting the gun, even putting improvements into it, in the vague hope it keeps working. It is a pleasure to shoot, how long that will last is the big question. gyrine

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Beretta makes great Over-Under shotguns. The auto shotgun is not bad.

Although a Factory Trained Beretta Armorer, I do not and probably will not own another Beretta. Browning O/U's FIT me, Berettas do not.

I will be more than glad to service and repair them. :^))))

6. IPMC_916

IPMC_916 TS Member

The SV-10 kicks like a mule...just to give you a heads up. My UGB had 4000 rounds through it and I have never had a problem. No jams and no cleaning, yet.

7. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

IPMC_916's experience with his UGB makes me feel better. Maybe the fix on mine will stick and I will be able to enjoy it for a good long time. Sure wish some basement engineer would come up with a shell catcher for it though. No bucket jokes please. Shooting Coach, seems like you would be a good person to know, I certainly would not send anything to Beretta after it is out of warranty. Please send me a private email with your contact info. gyrine

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

shoot the ugb- dry , no oil!! after a 1000 rds it relly limbers up!