1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UGB25 recoil reduction system

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flyfishinfool, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I just got a Beretta UGB25 and I was under the impression that these darn things weren't supposed to kick. Every one that has shot it,including me, like it but we all agree that it kicks like hell.

My weighted down DT10 with a RAD unit is a lot softer kicking than the UGB25

However, when I read the manual it mentioned that there was "an optional recoil reduction system". So I ordered this $40 spring-mass inertia system. I have now received it but there were no instructions.

My engineer son is in Hong Kong and I have left him an e-mail to call me. So, without his input I'm what you would call mechanically challenged

So, my questions are:

1. Which end goes in firstin the stock hole? The steel rod or the spring?

2. Anyone tried anything else to tame the recoil on the UGB25.

3. I don't particularly like the curved Gel-Tek pad that is on it. Any suggestions there ?

Dan

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I've worked on 2 of them. The first one I was able to install a spacer and Bump-Buster on. The shooter has an extremely long lop or I couldn't have done this. On the second one, just a few weeks ago, I installed the new Auto-Buster system. Both customers are very happy with the amount of reduction. I use Kickeez pads on both systems.

Ken Rucker

3. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Ken - you probably don't remember me but you installed my RAD on my DT10 a few years ago and I extremely pleased with your work

My son called late last night and said the spring should be next to the butt plate. So, I installed it last night. It weighed 6 oz.

I also added a 6 oz weight in the main cavity of the stock. So, I added 12 oz all together. The gun now weighs 9 lb 12 oz

I will shoot it tomorrow and if I am not happy I will be calling you

Thanks again

Dan

4. duh

duh TS Member

Hi Dan - thanks for posting your experience.

Please see/check private message - duh

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Dan, if the unit says "Beretta Recoil Reduction System" on it and is blue in color, the end without the plastic cap on it will be marked as going toward the muzzle.

Those things really work! I was given a prototype during a visit to Beretta's Accokeek, Maryland plant last fall and have it in my 687. Every owner of a 680-series gun who has shot mine immediately notices the lower recoil. I've since bought several for friends and to have a spare in my safe.

The safe still kicks as hard as ever, though.

Ed

6. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Ed - this whole think has been rather confusing. The one you are describing is the one I thought I was ordering. But the one I got was apparantly made for the UGB. It consists of a rod, a spring, a washer, a spacer and a plate. It all fits inside a hole that I didn't even realize existed until I removed some of the hardware on the butt of the stock.

Probably the same principal but this is made for the UGB

Dan

ps - we have a mutual friend - queenofdimes

7. AveragEd

Oh, yeah - had to think for a minute. That's a name I haven't seen for seven years! Tell her I said "Hi" and that I miss our email conversations.

The units I received were enclosed, an inch or two longer than a Dead Mule and about the same diameter. So far, they haven't been ugly to install in any gun.

Ed

8. fire306

fire306 TS Member

I have a UGB25 also, now I don't consider it a hard kicking shotgun, but I did think it kicked harder that I expected. After reading everywhere how soft this gun was to shoot I was a bit surprised. I would be interested in the Beretta Recoil reduction system. Does anyone have the part number for the system, I can't seem to find it anywhere in the web.
    Thanks

9. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I ordered mine through Aregos Pawn & Gun Shop in Hot Springs, AR but I am sure Joel Etchens can order for you. While you have them on the phone get them to tell you how to install it. Better yet - order it - then once you have all the parts in hand call them and get them to walk you through it

Dan

10. fire306

fire306 TS Member

I emailed Joel Etchens, they replied and say that to the best of their knowledge there is no such reduction system available for the UGB25. Unless someone on here has some info, or a part number. flyfishinfool, maybe you are having trouble installing because the parts you have may not be for your UGB.

11. AveragEd

The unit I used came as one piece - it looks and works like a Dead Mule reducer but is a little longer and probably a tad larger in diameter. I didn't have to assemble anything. No guarantees but I'll try to remember to look at the spare in my safe tonight and jot down the exact part number.

I will tell you that the damned things really work! In the column I wrote about them a month or so ago, I mentioned that my only gripe was a clicking noise from the weight being slammed against its seat by the recoil spring. Well, I solved that problem AND made installation in a 680-series Beretta even easier by wrapping it in two layers of blue hardwood floor underlayment and then pressing it down into the lower opening in my stock.

Ed

12. fire306

fire306 TS Member

AveragEd, are the parts you are speaking of Beretta parts? If so I would be interested in what part you used in your 680 series, I have a 682 Gold E Sprting I would love to tame down a bit.
    Thanks

13. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The Beretta part that Ed is talking about is the spring reducer Beretta sells for the 391 Optima and Urika 2's. It is similar to Dead Mule as Ed says, and fits in a bore below the recoil spring tube . It is retained by the stock washer. I assume it may fit in the UGB25 as well, since the stock for it and the 391 have a lot of similarities .
    Ken

14. AveragEd

Okay, for all those who are interested and/or have PM'd or emailed me, the Beretta part number is E00267 - "Spring-Mass Inertia Recoil Reduction System." The packaging says it is intended for the AL391 Series but may be installed on the AL391 Tekneys and Tekneys Gold 12 and 20-gauge as well as the AL391 Urika and Urika Gold Optima models. It comes standard on AL391 Tekneys and Tekneys Gold Compeition models.

As far as installing one in other models, I can tell you that my 687 has what I can best describe as a double opening in the stock. The upper opening is for access to the stock bolt and I have no idea what the lower one is for except possibly to take some weight out of the butt of the gun. The opening kinda-sorta looks like a figure-eight with very little "eight."

I just wrapped my reducer twice with that underlayment I mentioned above and it then is a very tight fit into the lower chamber. In fact, I couldn't push it in from the butt and was about to remove some underlayment when I tried placing the unit on top of the lower chamber and pushing it down in. That worked great.

Ed

15. fire306

fire306 TS Member

Joel Etchen's emailed back, they contacted Beretta. There isn't a specific kit available for the UGB as of yet, but they can sell the seperate parts. They are going to order them on for me. I will let you all know when they get here, and how they work.

16. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

fire306 - you are right. There is no "kit" per se with instructions. What you will receive is made specifically for the UGB25. You will receive a steel rod which has a big and a little end. And you will receive a small rubber gasket and plastic spacer that the gasket fits in. And you will receive a small plate. And a spring. Total of 5 parts.

You completely remove the butt plate AND the hardware at the bottom of the stock where the butt plate pad rod goes. You will then see a hole running along the bottom edge of the stock.

You put the spring on the little end of the steel rod and drop it in the hole with the spring end FACING THE REAR OF THE GUN.

You then put the rubber gasket inside the plastic spacer and place it on top of the spring. The best way to do that is through the slot that is perpendicular to the hole.

Now comes the tricky part. The small plate has a flat side and a concave side. The flat side goes up and you push it in the slot I mentioned above. This holds everything in place. The trick is that you have to put a little downward pressure on the spacer, gasket and spring while at the same time pushing the plate all way in. I had a heck of a time keeping the gasket from binding and not letting me insert the plate all way in

I shot it today with the recoil reducer in it and I noticed some improvement - but remember I not only added the 6 oz reducer but also an additional 6 oz of weight. So, I am not sure where the credit is due

There has GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY ! My next step is to see if there is a larger gel-tek pad or one with a flat face. If I can't find that I may take the gel-tek off and try a slip on Limb Saver

If that doesn't work I will send it to Ken Rucker to put one of his new pads on made specifically for an automatic.

What would I do differently now that I know what I know ?

I'd just send it to Ken and let him do his thing.

I really like my Berettas. But why in the hell they would advertise this gun as having a light recoil - and then make the buyer order optional parts and install them himself to take advantage of a system designed for the gun. Beats the "fool" out of me.

Dan

17. fire306

fire306 TS Member

Dan, how mant rounds do you have through your UGB? I have read that it takes 1000 rounds to "break it in". I have 1300 + throught mine now and it has definitely smoothed a bit. I really don't find it to be a hard recoiling gun, but after reading all the reports on how light recoiling it was, I was a bit surprised. I am going to get the reduction kit and try it out, more just for experimental purposes, than anything else. I always shot over and unders before so switching to the UGB is a big difference in recoil for me.

18. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

fire306 - it is brand new. It was a retirement gift. I was hoping that was the case. With that in mind I won't do anything else to it but shoot it.

I think my expectation level was too high after hearing so many reports about "no recoil".

Dan

19. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I have owned some guns over the years that kick. My new UGB
    is fine - no real recoil at all .
    If you think this kicks try a 870

20. fire306

fire306 TS Member

Dan, if you haven't put many rounds through it, experiment with the length of pull. Changing that can significantly change the felt recoil.( and your scores) I shortened mine just to try it, it made the recoil feel lighter but my scores dropped, so I changed it back. That was just me, you will likely have completely different results, but you may stumble on a "sweet spot". Gun fit is a big issue when talking about recoil, and with all the adjustments with the UGB you have lots of options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta al391 recoil reduction system

beretta ugb 25 recoil

beretta ugb low recoil kit

beretta ugb recoil kit

beretta ugb recoil reducer

dt10 recoil problems

how to install al391 recoil reducer

recoil reducer kit for beretta ugb25