1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UGB25 Owners

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flyfishinfool, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I know there has been a lot of UGB bashing on TS.com but it has primarily been from folks that "knew someone who knew someone". I would be interested in comaring notes from other UGB owners. My experience thus far is:

1. Ya ever see a women that had such unusual features that she was actually beautiful - like Lauren's tooth gap - or someone with unusual freckles - or odd shaped mouth ? Same thing with the UGB. Darn thing is so ugly it is pretty

2. I was suprised how much it kicked. It kicked the hell out of me when I first got it. But 1000 rounds through it to limber up the springs and Ken Rucker's AutoBuster solved that problem

3. I initially had problems with the adjustable comb coming loose - but loketite on the screws solved that.

3. I have done some pattern board work and have decided that the extended choke tubes shoot about one choke tighter than they say they are. Iv'e shot sporting clays with it using the skeet choke and get about the same pattern size as some of my other guns with an IC or L.Mod. The extended Imp.Mod. choke just smokes. To the point of can't even imagine ever needing the Full choke unless it was for games. The extended Imp. Mod throws as tight and as uniform a pattern as one of my Model 12's that Eyster did his magic on to make it a 27 yard gun (not that I need it as I am only a mid-yardage shooter). The gun throws very nice patterns right out of the box.

4. My gun is a very high shooter. It patterns 90/10 for me with the comb all the way down. To compare it to my DT10 it has the exact drop at comb with the comb all the way down as my DT10 has with 3/16" worth of spacers

5. Everyone - and I do mean everyone - that has shot it likes it and they did as well or better than they normally do with their own gun. Kinda like a Remington 1100 in that regard. Anyone can pick it up and shoot it reasonably well. It just points well.

We will see if it stands the test of time. But so far - I like it - I like it

What has been other owner's experiences ?

Dan

2. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

What? No responses ?

Only thing I can figure is that fellow UGB25 owners are too embarrased to publicly admit that they own of these ugly sticks.

Come on out of the closet and confess your sins

You will feel liberated once you admit that you also own one

Tell me your experiences. Sort of like a group counselling session.

You know. "I am a UGB25 owner" APPLAUSE

Dan

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Dan, I for one am interested in the UGB25, but living out here in the hinderland of Colorado, none are to be found. No gun or sporting goods stores have them. I am keenly interested, since you have had time to shoot your new gun to get some details about it. For example, how did you find the adjustable stock? Were you able to put the cast where you wanted it? Does the gun take a great deal of effort to find its' setup? How is the trigger? How is the action, is it smooth, noisey? Is it balanced? What about recovery time from first shot to second? Is it difficult to clean or maintain? What about the wood, is it real pure grained or cosmetic?

4. FULTONHUNT

FULTONHUNT TS Member

Well Dan, I'm raising my hand. I have one too and I love it.

Came right out of the box shooting very soft and does not kick.

Every time I take it to a shoot, some one wants to shoot it and they think it's a hoot. One gentleman who shot it, went to the State Shoot the next week and bought one.

I too am shooting an IMP MOD extended choke for 16's & HC.

It's a great gun for doubles....the action is fast and I mean fast.

Don't use a plastic snap-cap, use a Pro-Shot 12 or equivalent.

Hate picking up shells though..

Enjoy shooting yours Dan as I enjoy shooting mine.

fultonhunt

5. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Rick -

1. ADUSTABLE STOCK, in my opinion, is of lesser quality than the rest of the gun. Like I said, I had to loktite the comb screws to keep them from coming loose. For some reason I didn't get the spacers (dealer probably lost) but mine was already set up for a RH shooter with cast off. Since it was a gift they may have set it up for me before I got it. With the RH spacer in the comb didn't need to move very much. And I have fat cheeks. Actually they are fluffy - not fat.

2. TRIGGER is not as crisp as my DT10 but as good or better than any trigger I have seen on an automatic. I'd say it is suprisingly good trigger

3. ACTION is easy to use and to open. I hold the gun with my right hand and push the lever and load it with my left

4. BALANCES well

5.RECOVERY TIME is fast, fast, fast

6. CLEANING is still a mystery to me as I am still trying to figure out which parts even need to be oil wiped. The rib is aluminum. Most of the receiver and trigger are fiber carbon. I just keep it together in a long gun case. I have shot it in a pouring down rain and I just opened the action and let it air dry. The action stays much cleaner than a gas operated auto

7. STOCK is very dark and rich looking. Oil finish. No sheen .

Unless the gun breaks down (like the nay sayers predict) I would say that it is a very easy gun to maintain

Dan

6. FULTONHUNT

FULTONHUNT TS Member

EE

I also fire my first UGB at the Grand last year and it too was a soft shooter.

Everyone who has shot my UGB has commented how soft it shoots.

And NO, I'm not on drugs nor do I lie...

Take two Tylenol and your shoulder will feel better in the morning.

Fultonhunt

7. Rick Barker

Thanks for reply, Dan.

8. Rick Barker

Dan, forgot to ask. One thing I am confused about is the recoil pad. From the pictures I see, the pad looks like it is adjustable or it sits on a Gracoil type reducer. I understand it is not a Gracoil type reducer, so why is the pad sticking out from the stock on two posts? Is that the LOP adjustment at its' max?

9. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

The recoil pad is not a reducer but rather adjusts for LOP and angle only

I don't much care for the Berreta gel-tek pad and ended up having Rucker install the AutoBuster with a kickeeze pad. It made it shoot much much softer. A $350 add on but worth it in my opinion.

Regarding the recoil, like I said mine kicked the hell out of me at first. But I do believe part of the controvery over whether or not it kicks is based on the following:

1. When they first came out with the UGB it had a 6 ounce spring and weight inertia system installed in the butt stock. I am only guessing but my guess is that some folks then thought the gun was too heavy so they started selling it without the stock recoil system but rather made it an optional choice for another $40. I think that was a bad move on Berreta's part as the system is hard to find and not terribly easy to install.

2. If you think you might install the AutoBuster don't order the recoil system as it won't be needed

3. So, the point is some UGB's have the stock recoil system and some do not. So, that partially explains why some kick and some don't

4. I do beleive that it takes a 1000 rounds or so to loosen up the other two (2) springs - one on the barrel and one in the receiver. So, if it has been shot much I think it limbers up and kicks less

5. I always thought recoil was recoil. But it must be perceived to some extent because even before I installed the AutoBuster some folks that shot my gun actually told me "that thing doesn't kick at all". And at the same time it was beating me up

So, I must be a wuss

Hope this was helpful

Dan

10. Rick Barker

Dan, sent you a private message.

11. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Rick - I forgot to answer your question

Yes - that is the LOP at it's maximum

Normal sized shooters won't have much of a space there

12. Trapshooter1950

Trapshooter1950 TS Member

Owner since March 2009- Out of the box with no adjusting, entered a 75 green target shoot- broke 73 not bad for first time out. Recoil more than expected with light Federal Top Gun Loads. Theories about running dry for x number of rounds is just plain dumb this would cause galling of mating surfaces.
    This particular gun does not like ultra light loads- 7/8oz-6200 to 6800 loads - 1150fps, hangs in up during ejection cycle, does work well with 7/8oz 7400 up loads- 1200fps. Auto load feature none existent using reloaded federal ribbed shell casings, works supper with remington STS-Nirto smooth casings for doubles. Have about 10k shells through since purchase with no malfuntions, wife about going nuts, fun gun to shoot. If I do my part the gun breaks targets just fine. Went to a 100 bird money shoot the 3rd week using 7/8 oz -8.5-20 grains of green dot listened to some screw balls saying gun has pretty wood haven't seen one of these guns not fall apart yet. After turning 93 targets inside out I dropped one and finished with 99. In the back round one of the on lookers commented that the gun held together just not the owner. At the 25yd line targets are turned inside out, 27yd the targets are solid breaks as long as I do my part. This gun has had the comb screws replaced by factory sending parts one day after contacting service department. Disassemby is simply- three pins and cleaning begins, lot simpler than my 1187 or 870TB, whole lot easier than a recoiless.
    Held my hand under the ejection port fiquring it would sting to some degree, what a suprise I got when the shell just jamed infront of bolt, would be nice with a shell catcher instead of all the bending. Started shooting ATA again with this gun it's fun, soot balls targets, 25's, 50's, 75's and 100's on regular basis, maybe it's just as simple the gun fits and I do well shooting the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.