1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

UGB Trap Barretta

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shipbuilder, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I read a review on these and saw one yesterday for $2600 in a Maryland gun store. I see they are advertised for about $2100 in Trap Shooting magazine.

Anybody shooting one?
    Your thougts?
    particularly on recoil; how does it compare to an 1100?
    Other pros/cons?

Jim

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Gun breaks down alot. .

3. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Back when they came out I was shooting a 391, and I tried a UGB. I did like it compared to the 391. I don't see the reasoning behind the hinged auto, but I did like the balance, feel etc.

4. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I have one for sale. Just been Tuned up by Factory Warranty Shop. NOTHING was wrong but my friend that owns it wanted to make sure everything was correct. The only thing is these guns MUST be kept clean & use REM-OIL Not Beretta Oil it is TOO Thick!!!! joe90t

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

There are a quite a number of threads on TS relating to the Beretta UGB25, and they are easy to find. Just search UGB25.

Bottom line - most people who have them (like me) like them a lot. Those who don't have one seem to want to demonstrate their expertise with such specious comments as

1. answer a question nobody asked,

2. too many parts,

3. breaks down a lot.

The best one of these I saw was a complaint that it was too hard to insert a shell into the chamber. This was apparently deduced from a picture or looking at the gun from 10 feet away, not by actually doing it, which is drop-dead easy - you drop it in, same as any other break-open gun.

If you look at the TS posts (and differentiate between the experts and those who actually own one) you will find that they work well and break targets very well.

Ted K.

6. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Thank You Ted K. You said it right. joe90t

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've shoot my buddies UGB-25 a few times. They are a nice gun and drop shells at your feet so as not to bother a fellow shooter on one side or the other of you, but they are hard to take apart and put back together. So you need to travel back and forth to the clubs with a long case. You need a 3rd hand to take-em apart (I know a shooter who broke his gun taking it apart). I hope this info can help you deside if this guns for you. break em all Jeff

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

There is a trick to assembling a UGB25 that, if mastered, allows assembly to be completed in less than a minute, with virtually no fiddling. Here it is:

1. Pull the trunnion pin out on the right side of the receiver until it hits the detent.

2. Operate the opening lever on the receiver so that the cocking connector slide is fully extended out past the front of the receiver.

3. Rotate the receiver around the axis defined by the barrel/bore so that the receiver is about 45 degrees from being upside down. This will cause the cocking connecter slide to fall away from the receiver.

4. While holding the receiver in this position with one hand, use your other hand to position the barrel so that the pin hole in the monoblock is aligned with the trunnion pin. This is much easier easy to see and do than it sounds.

5. Turn the assembly so that the pin is vertical and the stock is horizontal.

6. Press the assembly against your gun case or any other non-scratching surface so as to force the trunnion pin into the receiver.

7. At this point the gun should be lying on a convenient surface so that you need only one hand to hold the gun with the release lever fully extended. Use the other hand to lift the spring loaded connector tab on the monoblock so that it will allow the cocking connector to capture the tab when you partially close the gun.

8. Release the opening lever and fully close the gun. All that's left is to affix the fore-end in the conventional way.

If you don't have one of these guns in front of you, the above will sound like Greek, but it's easy to understand with a UGB25 in view, particularity if you've tried to assemble it before. Using this method, I can get the gun together with no swearing in less than a minute. The crucial part is to turn the receiver almost upside down so that the cocking connector slide stays in the right place while you align the monoblock and the receiver.

A tip: when disassembling the gun, don't try to remove the trunnion pin until the fore-end is off the gun. The fore-end locks the pin in. I occasionally forget this and can't figure out what's jammed the trunnion pin.

Try it, you'll like it.

Ted K.

9. gcessna

gcessna Member

I have one and have put about 4,000 rounds through it. The only problems I've had were caused by me. The gun comes apart very easy. I have gone past where it says in the manual "Do Not dissassemble the -----------further. If necessary, contact the Beretta customer service or a Beretta authorized gunsmith" It takes seconds to take out the Trigger group. A few minutes to remove the Breech bolt assembly, from there seconds to replace the firing Pin. It sure gets alot of unjustified gossip and comment. when I can, I hide the gun. I don't think it is anymore complicated than alot of other guns. It is a very soft shooter. I installed the Beretta recoil Reducer. That took about 5 minutes. The things I don't like are picking up hulls. (I do need the exercise) and the choke doesn't stay tight. I am checking it every 3rd shot or so.

Gary

10. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have shot 391's for a long time now and like them very well.I can do anything to this gun on my own (as maintainance and general gun work goes).

I tried a UGB at a state shoot in California a few years ago and have to say it was the least felt recoil of any shotgun I have shot and for shooting a total of 24 doubles it worked well, no failures. Did not perticularly like the really long push on the lever on the left side of the gun to get the gun open, but, hell that ain't no thing.

I figure the tear down and put together are just a learning process, a good gun dealer or factory rep should be able to guide you there, well maybe not a rep if they are like the ones I have met at shoots, but, a good gun dealer would.

But, until someone on TS.com tells on here they have 30,000 + rounds through it no problem, or limited easy to fix problems I ain'ta gonna buy one. The most I have read is about 4000 rounds here in this thread. For trap that is not even started up good yet.

The absolute main and only reason I would buy one is the recoil, or should I say lack of.

11. gcessna

gcessna Member

VALKYRIE............. There are 5 parts from Brownells 800 741-0015 (913-200-252 absorber,shock,mobile mass,391 $4.90) (913-301-393 absorber guide bushing UGB $7.58) 913-301-394 plate recoil reduce UGB $8.30) (913-200-242 spring shock absorber, 391 XTRM $4.91) (913-301-400 recoil reducer UGB $20.03)

Go to "you Tube" Beretta UGB25 xcell recoil kit installation. It takes about 5 minutes to put in if you never did one before. It goes into the stock and everything is pre-cut pre-drilled. It shoots so light now I couldn't tell any difference. If I shot some bigger loads, I'm sure I'm would appreciate it. I want my Brother to shoot again. He broke his shoulder 10 yrs. ago and I want to take as much recoil as I can.

Thanks for the info on the choke. I mainley use the Mod Ext and I retighten every 3rd shot. Something else on my mind!!

Gary Cessna

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Although I don't see this gun as a big winner in the market place of clay target shotguns, I appreciate Beretta/Benelli's continuing efforts at R and D. Unless you're pressing the envelope of design, little is ever innovated.

13. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I have one and have shot it both right and left handed. It is very left hand friendly.

14. tincanman

tincanman Member

I was able to demo one from the Beretta store at a local shoot and it was nothing but problems. I hoped for the best and got the worst. Sometimes it would fail to eject the first shell and then other times wouldn't pick up the second shell. It happened with both factory shells and reloads. I think I'd buy into a 682 or comparable O/U and put a RAD on it if recoil was the issue that has you looking at the UGB.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

<blockquote><i>The guns were really designed for a hand-full of international bunker shooters who wanted a auto type recoil reducing shotgun that would meet the break-open requirements of international bunker.</i></blockquote>

This is absolute nonsense and I wish people would quit repeating this erroneous info. There is no "break open" requirement in International Trap.

16. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

well guys i hav 1 an also just about everything else out there including p guns i luv the ugb im a lefty an the gun comes righty out of the box i shot a 96 in skeet went home turn it in 2 a lefty complete an ran a 50 for a 98 i hav the trap model no problem at all also shoot trap an sport clays this gun is tops if u dont have 1 dont talk about it this gun is built 2 last

17. DoogieREDGTI

DoogieREDGTI TS Member

I shot the UGB out at Seven Springs Sporting Clay Resort in Pittsburgh, PA. 200 rounds and my shoulder felt GREAT. I managed to get my own in December and mine is not the same. I read this thread and I have all the parts from Brownells. All the parts are on backorder. But this link is from Beretta...

http://www.beretta.com/Long-guns/Competition-guns/Break-open-semiautomatics/UGB25-Xcel-Gold-Trap-Optima-Bore-Optima-Choke/index.aspx?m=82&f=2&id=178&did=1836

This is from the link above....
    MULTI-ADJUSTABLE STOCK
    The optional walnut stock is fully adjustable in terms of drop and cast, by means of the Beretta Memory System and the recoil pad support can be adjusted to modify the length of pull and the angle of the Gel•Tek interchangeable recoil pad. The multi-adjustable stock comes with the Beretta Recoil Reduction System inside, made of a spring mass which counteracts the backward force of the gun during firing, significantly reducing felt recoil.

My confusion is did I just order parts that I already have?

Thanks,

Doogie

18. ninjak

ninjak Member

Doogie that is a add on recoil reducer that fits in the stock it does not come with the gun ...

AL

19. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Does anyone know how short the LOP can be adjusted on this gun. I am looking for a light, soft shooting gun for my wife and this may be a good option. I feel, and she feels much better using a break open gun then a semi auto.

20. tincanman

tincanman Member

I remember less than a year ago when used guns were priced at $2500. Here's a new one for less than that with what appears to be a recoil system on the stock.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?gun_id=100212729&pop_up=1

Did Beretta stop making the UGB?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta ugb trouple shooting u tube
beretta ugb25 removing the bolt
beretta ugb25 xcel gold trap

beretta ugb25 xcel gold trap sale