1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

U. S. OPEN - Attendance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimbotrap, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

How was the attendance at the recently completed U. S. Open in Sparta? - Jim

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Weather was a big factor. Sunday was nice but chilly and/or windy otherwise.

Ricky Marshall won Saturday's 16's with a pair of 98's for the lone winning 196. There were a number of AA and AAA shooters posting scores in the 80's on the first 100.

94 was high in Saturday's handicap. Next high were the 91's. A score of 90 earned a half yard punch.

It was tough...

4. stkelly62

stkelly62 TS Member

Conditions on Saturday were terrible,it was very cold and windy
    Sunday was beautiful, I thought it was a disapointing turnout on
    Sunday, Saturday it seemed a lot of shooters oppted out due to the
    weather.As for the JR/SubJr turn out it seemed just the All American
    hopefull's were there, same names as last year with the exception of
    first year subjr Anthony Fortino 12yrs.of the Chip n Crack team from
    Kankakee,Il. who won it all and gave some AAA's a run for their money.

5. Kent

Kent TS Member

Your are right Sissy, I was embarrassed by my first two traps in the singles and ended up with an 84. Did a little better on the second 100 with a 98. Good thing is maybe they won't classify me as 3A for the next large shot I go to.

The weather was a major factor on attendance and even those that were on the grounds did not enter many events.

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Using RJ Stuart's scoreboard feature, you can see how many shooters were classified for any particular shoot. While that won't tell you how many events were entered it seems like it is a good indication of shoot attendance.

Looking back between this year and last year for some of the big shoots . . .

Dixie Grand: 616 last year vs. 536 this year, down 13%

Southern Grand: 1011 ly vs. 827 ty, down 19%

Southwestern Grand: 624 ly vs. 592 ty, down 5%

US Open: 704 ly vs. 478 ty, down 32%

The weather this year for the first three days I believe kept quite a few people away. I can't recall shooting in conditions like that for 3 days in a row.

Scott

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Last year they had it on a different weekend. This year they had competition in neighboring states. They went up against the central and northern Indiana Zone shoots, the Spring team shoot in Michigan and I don't know what in the other near states. As a result attendance was down in all the shoots. Michigan shoot has been the 1st weekend in May forever the other shoots flip flop around and it looks like they flopped the wrong way, no thinking. I know several shooters that would have been in Sparta if it was on another weekend, including me, went last year was planning on this year but they changed the weekend. Seems like shoot directors don't think to much.

Don

8. mcv

mcv Member

Maybe IDNR should consider going back to the first or second week of July as the ATA did with the 1st Annual US Open in 2006. Of course we know the date was chosen to help with training and a precurser for the 2006 Grand but the time of year seemed to work out very well. Trap help was not a problem as school was out for the summer, very little stepping on toes of surrounding State Shoots and a better chance for nicer weather.

According to this press release, http://outdoornewsdaily.com/index.php/archives/3692, the 2006 US Open had 1,500 shooters. Stands to reason when most families will take vacation during the summer allowing the SubJr & Jr catagories to be a bit larger in numbers. Not all parents can or for that matter will remove their children from school to shoot trap. Appears to be possible and/or All Americans are the only kids that can afford to "skip" school.

My vote is for the US Open in July. Sounds like a good idea!

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Bystander:

I'm guessing the good folks running the Kentucky State Shoot (July 1st thru 6th) and the Indiana State Shoot (July 8th thru 13th) would consider scheduling the U.S. Open in the first two weeks of July to be a conflict.

Move the Open to the third week of July and it bumps up against the Iowa State shoot which starts the 22nd.

sissy

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The Michigan State shoot the 1st week of July.

Don

11. mcv

mcv Member

Sissy,

Do you attend the Kentucky or Indiana State Shoot? However, one of those would conflict with Stuart so there would have to be a compromise. The US Open worked in 2006. What makes everyone think it wouldn't work again? If I remember correctly that schedule stepped on toes as well but it didn't hurt the attendance.

We all understand that there are no open dates thru the shooting season. Some times you just have to make a decision. Just because the IL and PA State Shoots fall on the same dates, does either one hurt the other? And on the same note; NC & TN, etc???? All shooters can't be at all of the shoots all of the time. It just ain't gonna happen.

Since the economy is so bad it only makes since to have the larger shoots spaced by say one state away. Only the rich can afford to go from shoot to shoot week after week.

And Sissy . . . be nice . . . you're a friend of mine. We do whistle the same tune!!!

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

The Empire Grand was on last week too in Syracuse New York.

Terry.

13. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Leo didn't shoot. He was doing clinics

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim...... I copied this from another post here on T/S.com... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Higher gas, ammunition prices cut participation at trap shoot

BY MIKE SPRINGSTON- For the News-Democrat

SPARTA --Rising gas and ammunition prices apparently were factors in declining entries at the third annual U.S. Open Trapshooting Championship held over the weekend at the World Shooting & Recreational Complex.

The number of entries totaled 2,054 -- down approximately 1,000 from the 2007 event.

Dave Cassens, tournament director, said participation has been down industrywide since last fall.

"I haven't heard of a single major shoot since last winter that has shown an increase," said Cassens. He felt the decline was the direct result of the economy. A number of out-of-state participants at the WSRC events travel in RV campers.

"A lot of shooters have to be choosy about where they shoot," he said. "Diesel for their campers is near $4.50 per gallon and a flat of shells has increased $30. This is having a dramatic effect on shoots."

This year's event, which ran Thursday through Sunday, also faced some weather-related obstacles the first three days.

No shooter registered a perfect score -- 100 targets in singles and 200 in doubles -- on the first day of the event when heavy winds were a factor. Shooters faced some rain delays the second day, but scores did improve.

"It impressed me because we had rain delays and bad weather, but several shooters shot 100 straight. That's phenomenal," said Cassens.

Saturday's event also had heavy winds and cold weather in the morning. Cassens said one target had to be reset four times in an hour because of wind changes.

Saturday also had the largest turnout, with 336 shooters participating in the Winchester Singles.

Richard Marshall, Jr., of Lincoln, Neb., won the all-around title. On Sunday, he also swept the Browning Handicap and and White Flyer Doubles. He also won the Winchester Singles on Saturday.

Randy Miller of Bunker Hill won high overall.

Jeffrey Welch of Caledonia won the ATA Handicap on Thursday David Bath of

Belleville was runner-up.

Other event winners were:

• Holiday Inn Express Singles, Ron Bliss, Tuttle, Okla.

• Illinois Conservation Foundation Doubles, Steven Johnson, Cherry Valley.

• Zanders Sporting Goods Singles, Lou Kosiba, Waite Park, Minn.

• Remington Nitro 27 Handicap, Sid Miller, Lovington.

• Budweiser Doubles, Charles Bickle, South Elgin.

• Friends of WSRC Handicap, Mike Dennis, Metamora.

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources ran the U.S. Open, the third entity to run the shoot in as many years. The Amateur Trapshooting Association ran the initial U.S. Open in 2006. Last year, Southern Promotions of Sparta was the event organizer.

15. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

We didn't attend for 2 reasons....1. they moved the date and we used it last year as a warm up and swung over to Missouri State shoot.......so did many of the names that were missing this year. 2. Last year it was a guaranteed 4 point shoot and this year it was based on attendance. I figure it ended up a 2..... Just too far to drive there and back home with the camper and back to Missouri a week later. it worked great last year though!

The first year, everyone wanted to see the new grounds......it was a guaranteed 4 point shoot and it was in July where there isn't much going on in our area. It was great for us...but I know it does conflict with many others further east on those dates as well.

I will tell you though.....we saw some beautiful fireworks from the camper on the hill from surrounding little towns! It was really a fun shoot that year. It was a big shoot too!

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Having this shoot the first part of May is asking for great weather participation. It should be held later, either later in the month, or as it was held it's first year in July. Yes it will create some form of overlap. But let us realize. The State of Illinois made a great commitment to us. We owe them the same in return.

My personal opinion, the ATA should stand behind support for the U. S. Open. If we loose a buck so what. We did not invest much in the facility, which is one of a kind, in fact the only one of it's kind. I find it reprehensible the
    ATA does not support this shoot to it's fullest degree. But then what else can you expect from an organization that won't support the SCTP program and the shooters in general. - Jim

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Elliot; Is it all you, do bitch and complain about the ATA. I don't believe they could please you no matter what they did. You are willing to shaft other established state shoots in July for the benefit of the US OPEN. You are a great steward of the sport.

It was held last year May 10-13. It could have held this year May 8-10 and would have been no conflict, the Missouri state shoot would be the following week. They had over 700 shooters last year and could have passed that this year with some consistency on dates. Many of last years attendees were at shoots in their home states, these shoots meant something to them.

It's amazing that you have all the answers but no one listens.

Either shoot and enjoy it or take up knitting.

Don

18. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Don - No matter when it is held it will overlap with some other shoot. Last year it overlapped on the Golden West Grand. Sorry if I seem offensive, but the ATA has not been very supportive of the Western Shooter. And, as demonstrated in past years, they have been neglective of the SCTP program. Yes I may seem negative, but given what I have seen over the past it is very easy to take to opinion.

Don there are a lot of great people in this sport. I have always been in total support to the average shooter. And over the past 12 years, I believe I have spent just as much of my personal time as most BoD or EC members have, maybe more. - Jim

19. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Don - I also forgot to mention. I believe Neil Winston works in behalf of all the shooters. I have great respect for him and applaud his efforts. Simply cannot say that about all. - Jim

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

PTS: I hope you live in a warm climate because I don't plan on stop shooting anytime soon. By the way what are your answers or are you just another sideline setter??

Jim: I don't see how it would conflict with the Golden West other than maybe a top shooter or two. You are asking it to conflict with neighboring states. That is a little to close.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.