1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. department of education buying riot guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Story came out a couple days back. They are buying 27 riot shotguns. Here's the best part; the barrels are only 14 inches. Guess I was getting off easy with the nun slapping me with a ruler in the old days. Must be getting tough in the schools these days. Jim

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

If it helps stop the next school massacre, then more power to them.

Mark

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I'm not sure of the laws in other states, but in NY a 14" barrel requires a pistol permit. Larry Evans

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

It was in Chicago, I think.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Whoever gave you the story didn't get all of it or even get that part right. The guns are for the OIG (Ofc. of the Inspector General), the enforcement are of the US Dept of Ed.:

<I>“The Office of Inspector General is the law enforcement arm of the U.S. Department of Education and is responsible for the detection of waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations. As such, OIG operates with full statutory law enforcement authority, which includes conducting search warrants, making arrests, and carrying firearms. The acquisition of these firearms is necessary to replace older and mechanically malfunctioning firearms, and in compliance with Federal procurement requirements."...</I> http://www.ed.gov/oig

These are police tactical weapons, and the original solicitation for bids (link at top) indicates both the barrel and the LOP will be 14 inches.

MK

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Damn, I'll bet all the kids sign up for those classes ... The future Gang Bangers of America brought to you by B.H. Obama and his equal rights educational programs ... Where will it ever end ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Unknown1, must be some pretty desparate pencil theives out there. These guns are just the tip of the iceberg as another waste of tax payer money. Turning another government agency into a para-military unit makes no sense in my book. An besides, using scatter guns for inforcement purposes is really irresponsible. I mean, who do they expect to meet up with? The Terminator? Jim

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Jim,

Don't complain to me; I don't run the operation. I just told you how it works.

MK

9. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

I hope one of these guys doesn't have to take a shot in a dark alley or parking lot. The muzzle flash will blind for enough time that if he misses, he's done! I wonder if they know that maximum power and burn time is developed in 20" of barrel, maybe that's why most riot guns are cut to 20"?? When they finally get done with them they can't be sold as surplus as they're NFA weapons and must be registered as "short barreled shotguns" under the "any other weapon category."

Jere

10. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Actually I've worked two separate cases with these guys. They investigate mainly white collar crime stuff as in students defaulting on their government student loans to the tune of on average well over $100,000.00 per student. Lots and lots of doctors believe it or not fail to pay back their loans. And not to pick on doctors, it goes with all fields of study; they just typically run up the higher dollar amounts....

Well these guys go in and get the money as best they can, if there are assets to be seized, etc., then that is what happens. Sometimes criminal penalties occur and/or prison. Sometimes a settlement is reached... Just depends on the case from what I understand.

Regardless, since we the tax payers continue to loan students tens of thousands of dollars each over the course of 4-10 + of college education, then I think we do need a law enforcement entity who goes out to try and collect as much delinquent loan money as possible. Of course they are responsible for more than this, but the collection of money from dead beats who some may consider thieves is not a bad thing in my book.

And the para military thing, well, look at local, state, and any other federal law enforcement when they serve an arrest warrant and/or search warrant. Doesn't matter what the crime is... One never knows the mental state of a person who is about to go to jail and what weapons are immediately available to them.

Just as many on here comment that they would rather have a gun than a knife, well law enforcement trains the same, to be one weapon up on their opponent. Law Enforcement is not looking for a "fair fight," they are looking to enforce the law quickly and safely for all parties. Taking a shotgun on a search warrant is neither unreasonable nor unusual...

Scott

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Jere, just another dumbass move by the libs at some time... Federal guns have to be "donated" which from what I understand really means "loaned" to local or state agencies. The big difference is that even though the guns are donated, they in at least some cases are audited by the donating agency and have to be turned back into the donating agency.

The rules on this are confusing and a lot depends on who as in what agency or department purchased the weapons, i.e., DOD selling off excess 1911's, vs. the FBI getting rid of all their used Sigs for their new Glocks, etc..

I know that most of DHS guns are melted down; retired agents cannot buy or be given their duty gun since incorporation of this CFR. There are guns that never were issued and not wanted by the locals because of the red tape that are melted down. How is that for good use of tax payer dollars?

So to comment on your statement... the NFA rules are moot because they will be destroyed by fire at the end of their life span... Unless we get congress to reverse this ridiculous policy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.