1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. CHAMPIONSHIPS THREATENED BY BRUSH FIRE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Allen Chubb, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

The U.S. Olympic Shotgun Range located at Fort Carson near Colroado Springs had to be evacuated this afternoon due to a raging brush fire that was reportedly started by a careless camp fire in the wildlife area near the Shotgun Range. The 2008 U.S. Championships in Olympic Trapshooting was finishing up it's third day of competition when the order came down to evacuate the range. We had observed the fire raging for several hours and it was edging toward the range for the better part of the day. At 1:45pm the order came down to evacuate. We were in the middle of our last round with (13) targets into the 3rd round of the day. As we were leaving the range and assembling on the highway to go North, back to Colorado Springs, the flames were edging to the West. The Fort Carson Fire Company was creating a fire break on the old tank trail the parallels the base fence. I have some spectacular photos of the fire, but I won't have a way to post them until I return home on Thursday evening.

The flames were probably around 1/2 mile North of the range as we were leaving. One fire was coming toward the range to the South and the other fire was fanning toward the West. It's unclear at this point if the range will be affected or whether it will be spared damage. It is also unclear how the Championships will be further affected as in remaining course of fire, etc. The last day of the event is scheduled to conclude tomorrow afternoon after another (50) targets is shot, plus the finals for the Men, Women and Juniors. The International Double Trap events were scheduled to be next and then followed by International Skeet.

The wind were supposed to reach 60 mph, but at this point (3:35 pm), the winds are mild near my hotel in Colorado Springs. The local news also reported that the fire is 50% contained. We can only hope that there will be no loss of life of the heroic fire fighters as well as any major damge to property including the U.S. Olympic Shotgun Range.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Well, the range was spared! USA Shooting has released on their website the squading for tomorrow morning. They have eliminated the last round from today and will shorten the course of fire from 300 to 275 targets. Hats off the the brave guys and gals at the Fort Carson Fire Department! Job well done!!!!

I sure wouldn't want to be the camper that started this fire. It's going to get ugly for that person, especially on a high priority military base like Fort Carson. STAND BY FOR BAD NEWS!!!!

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.