1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

U NEED A RELEASE IN TRAP, BUT USE A PULL HUNTING??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    over the years i have seen trapshooters walk half way to the traphouse because they could not pull their trigger. so they purchase a release and seem to shoot very well. i don't understand how they can't pull the trigger in trap, but when they hunt, the same people i know, don't seem to have a problem with a pull trigger. why is that??????????????????
    steve balistreri

2. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

The mind is a wonderfull thing.......Roger

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

People using a release can shoot a pull trigger just not continuously. Some hunters have been known to shoot a release trigger for hunting. Your question is a statement of untruthes. Post-2

4. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Dear Mr. Balistreri. After reading your comments and then reviewing your trapshooting history I might suggest you try a release trigger. It certainly would not hurt your ability.

I never ceases to amaze me. Most of those that are critical of various changes used by others, ie: release triggers, light triggers, heavy triggers, high shooting guns, low shooting guns, top singles, overand unders, autos, pumps etc. etc. have only the ability to critize others. They certainly do not have the ability to hit targets with any consistancy. - Jim

5. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Mr. Elliot your comments are totally uncalled for and I think an apology is due. D Winter

6. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

I have just finished shopping for a new release for my bow to hunt with. There are several models that offer both "pull" and "relax" modes of releasing the trigger. I examined some of these and was seriously tempted to try one. But, I could easily see me having a senior moment trying to figure out whether to "pull" or "relax" the trigger. Actually, the way they work, once you get it set, it will fire either if you pull or relax it. Too confusing for my brain. I bought the standard model.

7. dward

dward Member

I think trying to explain to someone who has never used a release why it works and why you don't need it for hunting is like trying to explain what sex feels like to a virgin. And I also think my wise friend Mr. Sletta explained it best to me, there are only two types of shooters, those who use a release, and those who are going to use a release...........and actually the aforementioned activity is similar!

Dr. Dan

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

If you could not have a release and the only option was the regular everyday run of the mill pull trigger what would all the release users do?

Would they stop shooting or would the learn to ... well what would you do?

9. Cray

Cray Member

BuckGuru: I've been shooting a dbl. release since 1992. Two yrs. ago I went to a relax release for bow hunting. No problem shooting a relax . I would never go back to a regular release. Cray

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

What I should have also included in my question was if there was never a release trigger available as an option would you have stopped shooting or would have worked through it all and kept on shooting?

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I find I don't flinch when I shoot low gun hunting, skeet, or Sporting Clays. Must be that extra concentration to shoulder the gun correctly. I don't flinch when I shoot low gun Trap either. Dave T.

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I only shoot Skeet about once a year and then only when no one is watching because I hate that snickering in the background when I flinch with that pull trigger.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Have you ever walked through the woods and notices a large patch of bark blasted off of a tree and wondered how it happened?? Well, now you know.

Tron

14. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Old Doc - Sometimes I am a little caustic. But I get tired of those that do not have knowledge of the value of release triggers making idle remarks. And
    especially those that do not have credentials to make such comments. Sorry.

Mr. Newbius - Yes many of us would have to leave the game. It is not fun to have a flinch problem. In trap, as you know, a simple error leads to failure. Although many shoot just for fun, it is still more pleasureful to be able to break targets. I cannot speak for others, but I would have had to find something else to do.

As to the ability to shoot a pull when hunting. There are times we still make mistakes via the flinch, but it is not nearly as noticeable. Remember in hunting we are allowed 2nd and even 3rd shots. I have missed many a duck via the flinch or whatever, only to recover with a correctly pointed 2nd shot. Maybe if we had 2 shots at trap we could recover there also, but alas not posible.

Whether shooting trap or hunting. Most of us do it for the enjoyment. Other factors are bonuses. - Jim

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Senior Smoke: Generally trap is shot with a pre-mounted gun, and hunting and sporting clays with a low gun. Your mind has the ability to treat those as two different actions. (1) Mount gun, set trigger, call for target, see target, release trigger. (2) See bird, raise gun to shoulder, and pull trigger.

I find it almost impossible to use a pull trigger with a mounted gun. I can shoot sporting clays or doves with a field stock, low gun, and pull the trigger
    with no problem. However, if I pre-mount my gun for a sporting clays target, I can't pull the trigger.

I am now starting to shoot sporting clays with an unmounted gun and a release trigger. I expect in a short time I won't be able to use a pull trigger at all- except for pistol shooting.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A very good friend of mine, Tom Strunk, happens to be one of the best bird hunters I've ever known and uses a pull trigger for hunting birds. He also uses a release, really well I'll add, when clay bird season rolls around. I'm fairly sure if he shot 3-400 quail at his call each day, he'd more than likely use the release on those too. MHO, Hap

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have used a pull trigger for hunting for years, and a release for trap shooting for over 40+ years.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I'll tell you one - I shoot a release trigger in Trap and shoot left handed BUT I use a pull when hunting and shoot from my right shoulder. Also, I hunt a great deal and shoot a lot of birds. In truth, I used to shoot Trap right handed also but switched to left handed about 5 years ago

19. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I hunt left handed and shoot trap right handed, go figure. Yes pull trigger hunting and release/double release trap. BRGII

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Flincher100, I've heard of several instances like that and some were corrected by Hypnotherapy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.