1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

U can't buy targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

U can

I finaly realize that U can't buy targets---over the yrs i have owned all kinds of trap guns---now 3 k-guns and I love them but my scores are about the same---can't believe how good those old timeres did the job---still see some around and they still smash targets---Just passed this by---sjb

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Huh, you never met Earl?

ss

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't think it is the gun---its the gunner---I am open to suggestions of yhe right gun---Thanks---sjb

4. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Yes you can buy targets! Evidently you haven't attended the right clubs...

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

$5 front money to the trap kid works for me

6. guerini

guerini TS Member

I paid for a clinic from Ricky Marshal, over all avg. jumped 10 points that was like buying targets.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Guerini---U did great---I know a lot of people that went to clinics and never picked up 10 pts

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Yes, you can buy targets by purchasing a gun that shoots the right POI for you, or a custom fitted stock, or a clinic.

But, $5 to the trap boy is probably cheaper.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

IMO: The "right" gun gets you to the starting point where the shooter should have been in the first place. There must be some shooters for whom an off the shelf trapgun of "reasonable quality" was the perfect and final gun for that shooter. Maybe one day we can order the perfect stock fit and POI and trigger characteristic (for the individual) from the mfg. if technology allows...sophisticated cad/cam adjustments before the gun is delivered? Sort of like a custom suit order wherin the tailer has the high roller's measurements.

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Show me a AA shooter---I'll give him a mod 12 or a old bt99 or an old superposed and I'll bet he will still B-- AA--might have to do some recoil adjustment but he will still be able to stay in his class---Just my opi---
    sjb

11. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I believe that every new shooter needs to start with a gun that is close to a good fit and shoots where the shooter is looking. That being said,of even greater importance is being welcomed and encourage by club members and offered some insight into stance, hold points, POA and POI, proper mount, and the clear understanding that you point, not aim, a shotgun.

A thoughtful AA/27yard shooter already knows how to break birds and can probably maintain their average with anything they pick up.

As for buying targets, lessons, advice and encouragement from knowledgable shooters and gun fit can buy you all the targets you're willing to work at breaking.

I would agree that each of us has our limitations, and that eyesight, reflexes, and the ability to focus is what separates us into the various classifications at every shoot. This is my 3rd year of shooting trap and the first year that I've come to expect to break everything. Unfortunately, I still can't seem to break more than 98 birds in practice, and even fewer in competition. Your right however, that everyone reaches the point where it's not the gun anymore, it's the space between our ears.

12. KennyP

KennyP TS Member

You can't buy targets, but you can spend the money on getting a gun with a stock that actually fits you. Getting a custom fitted stock will gain you the most birds you could ever buy. I don't care what kind of gun K P K B G, if the stock is fitted to you you will shoot better.

Try it.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The right gun does make a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.