1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Typical Selling Process

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by QuillDesign, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I am selling a rifle on another website and I have never until this week bought or sold a gun online.

I put the rifle up this morning and it sold about 3 hours later (granted it was a good deal).

Speaking with the person on the phone (I called them) they said they would be sending me payment and once payment is received, I should contact them back and they will send a shipper with the FFL to pickup the gun.

This all sounds fine, but I just wanted to throw it out to you who do this on a regular basis - what bases should I cover?

I would hate to get screwed on an internet deal

2. 1steve7301

1steve7301 Member

0   0   0

Just make sure that their method of payment is ok. I like postal money orders, but anything can be faked. If you want to be sure the payment is legit, just wait ten or so days for the payment to clear. Once cleared, you are good to ship.

3. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

They are sending a Money Gram order through USPS - so that makes me feel better.

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

0   0   0

There is only one rule of selling.....DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING UNTIL PAYMENT CLEARS!!! Doesn't matter if it's a Money Order or what, WAIT FOR IT TO CLEAR IN THE BANK! They can wait a day or two.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

you are cool. Remember. the one that has the item controls the transaction. When the money is in (the UPS thing is good right away) package the gun so it will not get damaged and ship it USPS or UPS or FedEx. The US postal service will be easier for you. Insure it and mail it to the FFL.

Pack it well

6. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Right - I will definitely wait until it clears .. but he said he would send the shipper to pick it up so I will pack and let him know he can send someone after it clears and I should be good to go.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

What I have done is have the gun ready for shipping to the FFL and when the USPS money order comes in, I bring both the gun and the MO to the Post Office. I cash the MO and then mail the gun. Worked for me all the time. JM

8. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

0   0   0

I am a FFL and I accept guns from non-FFLs. However, I always make sure I send a gun only to the FFL. Be certain you are actually sending to a real FFL and that the FFL is involved in the transaction. I have never had anyone send a shipper pick-up. That seems a little odd to me. Most of the FFLs I ship to want to make sure I'm a real licensee.

I am not saying the transaction is illegal. It could be an ATF agent seeing if he/she can work the system and get you to send a gun to someone without the FFL.

Larry

9. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Once he sends me his FFL license information is there a place I can verify it?

10. burtona

burtona Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

You can got to the BATF web page and verify an FFL. I don't have the address but it's easy to find once you get to their site.

11. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

0   0   0

I would suggest at the very least that he email you a copy of the FFL so you can verify it ahead of time, and make a phone call to the FFL to make sure he is aware of the transaction.

Just my opinion that something here doesn't pass the smell test, but that just be me that thinks that way. I don't think you want to be in trouble with the ATF just for trying to accomodate someone with a pick-up rather that a straight up deal by shipping it to the FFL and letting him get it on his books right up front. http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.htmlnt. Might even be a straw purchase of some sort.

I think if you type this in you can verify the FFL from the ATF list. Maybe someone on this site can make the link clickable.

http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.html

12. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

All seems simple enough

1) get the funds and covert them to cash before anything
    2) get his FFL and then verify it before sending
    2a if it verifies with the atf site and the shipping addresses match not a problem
    2b if it doesn't verify then don't send until I get the right stuff.

Sounds pretty straight forward.

Thank you all so much I feel a lot more informed than before.

13. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I SMELL A FISH. I have sold LOTS of guns on the internet just like MIA. I have NEVER had a buyer say he would send a shipper with a FFL to pick up the gun for shipment. I have always shipped the gun myself. WHEW.... this one SMELLS!!!

14. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yes I get that feeling - but from everyone's recommendation, I'm not releasing anything until I have cash in hand. (and verifying valid FFL)

15. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Quill, MIA is right on! Keep control of the deal. DO NOT, DO NOT release the gun until FUNDS CLEAR. Cannot emphasize enough the "Funds Clear" statement. Lot of phony documents out there floating around. Do not get caught in the position that you get the check and a truck shows up next day or so to pick up the gun etc. Was a new car dealer for 35 years and just like selling a car, when you roll the vehicle you lose control of the deal if all the t's and i's are not crossed and dotted. More important if you do not know the customer.

Good luck

16. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

i have purchased items and send a fed-ex pick up label for the person to ship to because i can bill it to my account. I would recommend that the buyer fax or email a copy of the license and then the ship to label should have the same name and address. sending a ship label is fine and cheaper for the buyer. motordoc

17. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Reading some old threads(raining you know), and came upon this one about selling/sending guns and money transfers.

jm1079 said he takes both the Postal MO, and the packaged gun to the PO.

He cashes the MO, then sends the gun.

I didn't know the Post Office would cash a PMO? If this were thousands of dollars, would they have the cash on hand?

I have always taken them to my bank. It takes some time, but they always cash them.

Just asking

Danny

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

0   0   0

Sounds like the same old scam. BE very Careful !!!! Jeff

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I'd feel better having control of the shipping myself, although everything is probably ok. Worst case, the scam could be just: send you a copy of a valid FFL downloaded from somewhere and then sending an associate to pickup and never actually going to ffl.

20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Unless the "shipper" is USPS, Fedex, or UPS, the transaction is fraudulent and highly illegal. Even so, who's to say that the firearm makes it to the FFL on the receiving end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.