1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Typical price loss from walking out the door ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

In the automotive market, the general thought is that 25% of the value of a new car is lost the moment you drive it off the lot regardless of how good a job you did in haggling.

Not counting antiques and other legitimate collectibles...

What would be the general rule of thumb for resale price loss from walking out the door with your new gun purchase ?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think it would depend on the gun. Ljutic's take it the worst so i've been told.

Matt

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

depends on the market conditions and the type of guns you are talking about....for example, just before november 2008, you could had bought a semi-auto AR or AK for whatever dealers were listing them for. A couple days after the Nov. 2008 election, those same guns skyrocketed in price. Even used semi-auto mil style rifles were getting close to NIB prices. Then after a year or so, prices dropped dramatically....

since this a trap site,I would say if you walk out of the store with a NIB sporting shotgun and decide to sell it the next day unfired, you need to set your price below what dealers are selling the same gun to entice someone to buy it. How much below the dealer's price is up to you...10%? 20%? 15%?

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

One of the problems with people selling NIB is that it's impossible to know for sure. I, personally, assume all guns being sold by people are used. Some much less than others, but used nonetheless and as such should have some discount on them.

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Since this is a trap shooting forum, will be most interested in trap guns.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

In my opinion

CGs are worse than Ljutics- maybe 40-50 percent

Kolars are pretty bad also- 30-40 percent

on the other end of the scale the real cheapos are 50 percent

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

At least 25%, and more if gun is fired, box is tossed, scratches, etc.

In Tn, Sales Tax is over 9%. Combine that with 11% Federal Excise Tax, and you are at 20% of taxes lost.

Lots of folks list guns, but when a gun is sold, that tells the tale.

I do a lot of gun trades, and folks are not realistic when they fail to comparison shop, pay too much for a new gun, shoot it, throw the box away, accumulate handling marks, and expect to get their money back.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gene---So in your opinion, what takes the least hit? What would YOU buy if resale was your only thought? Trap guns i mean..

Matt

9. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Having worked a short time at Gander Mountain, I can tell you that their procedure was to sell a used gun for no more more than 80% of the price that it sold for brand new. Any price higher than 80% for a used gun would just make the customer want to buy new. The markup on used guns was considerably higher (usually about 30% of the sale price) than the markup on new ones. So, if you bought a new gun for $1000 and decided that you didn't like it, Gander would offer to buy it back from you for about $550-600. We were also told not to let a new gun buyer leave without asking if they needed clothing, a gun case, scope, etc. which had MUCH higher markups than the new gun had. ....Rick

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bought a FN fnc rifle from CDNN in 1986 for $469.95 sold it in 2003 for $1,800 Bought a Ljutic in 1996 for $7,000 sold it in 2002 for $4,500 I was already aware that the Ljutic would drop in price and I don't regret buying it.

11. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Thank all of you for your thoughts and information. Helps puts things into proper perspective.

Long term inflation can confuse the issue.

Know of a fellow who bought some guns in the early 1980s, kept them stored in their original boxes, and sold them about thirty years later.

He did get more for them than they sold new in 1980, but did he beat the normal rate of inflation or the normal interest rate paid at the bank ?

He did, but only on those guns which had a lot of high-end work from the factory and had been discontinued by the factory. On Plain Jane Remington 700's and Remington 1100's in standard offerings, he basically recouped inflation.

If the resale is within 12 months of the original NIB purchase and the gun is in original condition, what would be the typical resale value ?

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"So, if you bought a new gun for $1000 and decided that you didn't like it, Gander would offer to buy it back from you for about $550-600.

Rick"

Am sure the local and more focused dealers might have different policies and practices.

But knowing Gander's approach is quite interesting.

13. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

There is a fellow who buys two to three NIB guns every month from the same dealer.

Next month he brings 'em back to trade-in on two or three different guns that he wants.

His trade-ins are still in new condition (the dealer doesn't think this fellow has ever shot any of these guns). But he has always lost the box and paperwork during the month.

He has been doing this for 25+ years.

It's like making deposits into your bank savings account -- but in reverse.

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Something is up. No one can be that stupid for such a regular and long period of time. What would be the point of doing that every single month? And even still, why would he be "loosing" the box and papers all the time? Is this guy schitzo?

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

In my opinion

Least hit out of the door

New guns--A remington 1100 classic trap(or current version)- least hit

Used-- Remington 90T that you buy at the right price

Browning and Berreta plain jane models 0/U or Beretta target autoloaders new are pretty safe

Followed by a Perazzi and Krieghoff

Now here is the difference- Krieghoff over a period of time will go up in value-

Some Perazzi models will go up in value- you take your best bet and go for it

Engraved guns can be either very good or very bad

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"Is this guy schitzo?"

Schitzo ?

That's an interesting thought.

But, in his case, just a little eccentric. A well-known wealthy entity in the community. Trades cars more often than most too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.