1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Yard Reduction

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K005, Jun 3, 2013.

1. K005

K005 Member

I thought that this might be interesting. Data was taken from RJ Stuart's shoot report from 2009 to 2012 from the earned yardage report for the Grand American and the Ohio State shoots. I imported the data into an Excel spreadsheet and ran the numbers. It looks like the two yard reduction helped the 18-20 yard shooter the most. The percentage of punches won by the 27 yarders has decreased significantly. I think that we'll have to wait another year to see if a trend developes or it was just a fluke. Bob K.

k005_2010_270822.jpg

2. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

If these two isolated events are representative of the entire ATA shooting year, then it's only more evidence of a flawed handicap system . . . .

something the ATA will not admit to.

From the data, it looks like the seniors and the baggers have been nibbling at the big-dogs' bowl.

Is shooting at 18 to 20 yards really a handicap?

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Baloney! The hadicap system works just fine except for giving shooters' the option to refuse reductions .... And that's a victimless crime.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The increase in punches is distributed proportionally over all the yardages, including the longer yardages. It's only the 27 yard punches that are askew.
    That means the short yardage sandbaggers - if there really is such a thing -
    aren't benefitting any more than anyone else.

Yes, I hate to say it, but the reduction is getting the desired results.
    I first refused my 2 yard reduction from the 24 1/2, but just realized how
    stupidly vain that was. I contacted the ATA and said I hadn't shot any ATA targets this year, and is there any way I can get that reductions. Kathy Key
    sent me this message: "You are hereby un-refused."

I thought that was so cute.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Refusing reductions, is a way to say I cannot shoot with the big dogs so I will stand there and shoot a 78% average, and say hey looka here I am on the 27, but I can't shoot worth a sh*t, but I have a 100% Ego.

I accepted reductions, 2 of them and still have not shot a registered target,I am on the 22 yd line not the 20 as the the pot stirrers that know nothing that post here, who have no shooting record or event wins listed in Trap & Field.

I have had my share over the years and am proud enough of them to post em in my Trapshooting Scrap Book for my grandkids to look at when I am gone.

I have give quite a few of my usable trophies to my grand son who wants to start shooting soon.

I have so danm many belt buckles I do not know what to do with them, I did give some of the ones w/ A Silver Dollar 1890 dates to grand kids.

I cashed in the Real 99.9%Silver Bars from the clubs out west.

I have had several 27 yard pins stolen from my vest, while it was lying on top of my Shell bag.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dr.Longshoes,

In your first paragraph you have the nerve to talk about others with an inflated ego but then you go on with (6) paragraphs where you brag about yourself. Seriously, who has the ego problem?? WOW

8. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA $15,000 dollar shotguns sitting in the gun rack, and someone stole a 27 yard pin from his vest. LMFAO.

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Gapper: It is for people like me. I don't shoot much but my Hcp. avg. was always several tgts lower. Ross Puls

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Handicap reduction is working. Many shooters can now compete with the big dogs. I went from a 86 average at 21 yards to a 91/93 average at the 18. Have not won an event yet. A couple good days shooting with a higher score and i have a chance to beat the dogs at handicaps. I'm a 62 year old dog. LOL

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I took the first 2 yard reduction and made it plus some in the same year. I really think it helped my handicap shooting. I didn't qualify for the 2nd reduction which actually boosts my confidence and my handicap average is showing it..

12. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

To those of you that took the 2 yard reduction thinking it will make you more competitive with the big dogs, lots of luck. Thier average from the 27 is better than most from the 16. If, for some reason, you do start shooting some good scores, you will be punched right back to where you were before. At the shorter yardages you don't have the privilege to stand there and shoot the good scores over and over without a punch, (not an honorary punch). Yardage reduction is not the answer, just a bandaid. Stand at your yardage and shoot it until you master it with a punch. More practice, take lessons, get your equipment fit, and use the best of everything you can afford. Let's face it, you'll not be able to compete against the big dogs with a BT-99 (1973) that kicks the snot out of you every shot. It just won't happen.

If you can't afford, (time or money), to run against the best, that's okay too. Enjoy the sport for what you like about it, whatever that might be. The big dogs are not weekend shooters, and haven't been for years. Also, most shooters have never even seen one of the big dogs, let alone compete against one.

Take all the reductions you can get, just don't think it will make you competitive for more than one event!

Tomas

13. smsnyder

$$$HTR Good post. What is the answer to a better handicap system? By the way it doesn't matter if you win your state handicap shoot or the Grand American Handicap shoot from Short yardage. The fact is you won it shooting your best from short yardage. And yes its probably a one time shot.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Getting yardage should be harder and getting a reduction should be easier, but not so easy that sandbaggers take advantage of it....like now.

Think about it: In the past you could get a reduction of 1 yard with a 1000 bird review. Now you get a 2 yard reduction after a yearly review, and on average, you still won't win a big regional shoot.

Like $$$SHTR said, the elite long yardage shooter has an average at the 27 that exceeds most single averages.

Improved shells, 2 hole targets, and better equipment have helped the dedicated
    shooter excell.

Yes, the handicap system has flaws.

15. smsnyder

Yes the 2 yard reduction is a bandaid. I think the 2 yard reduction will keep some ATA members in the game and that's what the ATA wants.

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's one important factor that has been missed here. Shooting is definitely
    down, and the shoots we have here in North Carolina we are lucky to get
    15 shooters in handicap. Now it will take a score of 96 or high score with a minimum of 25 shooters. We never get that many handicap shooters here.

Punches will be few and far between here, and I'll bet many places in the country.

17. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

The ATA has so many special classes anymore, what's one more?? Let's start an Honorary Punched Class in handicap. After so many honorary punches, (pick a number), you must only compete in the Honorary Punched Class for trophies. This would only be at shoots with at least 100 shooters. The Honorary Punched Class would get the same share of added money as the other classes. This way, people will still have a chance to compete for the privilege of getting into the Honoray Punched Class, (which is of course at the 27). But, if you want to play the options, you're on your own, (wide open, as it should be). Don't squeal like a stuck pig when your high of 96 doesn't get a dime, and they pay 50 places!

Tomas

18. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

I know for a fact it helped me.

Chris

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The automatic two yard reduction was a great idea! It gives shooters earning yardage beyond their ability to have overs so to speak from yardages more familiar. Overall, it made winning a handicap event a tad tougher for the 27 yard shooter and it did put a slight dent into the domination factor by that group. I applaud this move by the EC and all involved.

Hap

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Hap, What about the guys that have been on the 20-22 yard line for the big shoots 3 years in a row. They get the 2 yard reduction every year. Start at the 20, end at the 22. Scarf up enough money to pay 1/2 their shooting, keep their ave. under 90, and do it all over again the next year.

The ATA needs to identify these guys and drop the hammer.