1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two yard off is meaningless!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ebsurveyor, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I've been reading all of the post on here about the new reductions. It's not going to change one think long term. Anyone that can shoot worth a "POS" will earn the yardage back within a shoot or three. What we need is more concrete.

2. brett44

brett44 Member

Don't understand the point of this. If shooters wanted to move up, they would have accepted their yearly reductions. I guess that if a large group of people are moved up in mass, then more people will accept the reduction. But, what is the point of the reduction, if a large group of shooters is moved up, moved back, moved sideways, your still shooting with basically the same group of shooters. Your scores my move up, move down, or move sideways, but your chances of winning are still bascially the same.

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I disagree. The two yard reductions are the best thing the ATA could have done. The "more concrete" is never going to happen. Those taking the reduction will no doubt shoot much better. It does not necessarily follow that they will get punched back to their previous yardage in short order. It is a beneficial change that does not warrant all the negative BS. I guess traphshooters will bitch about anything.

4. bigben

bigben Active Member

Actually think about it no matter where you are, take 2 steps back, and shoot, the difference? NONE I have proved this with tar paper covering marked yardages, this an ATA grasp to keep the shooters they now have. all the best incinerate em!

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

all it will mean is the less skilled shooters will have a small percentage better chance to turn in a perfect score, which is what it takes to be competitive at a bigger shoot. Most will simply earn it back at the regular shoots that they go to and a couple will turn in a perfect score at a big shoot enabling them to a shoot off with somebody that has a 96 plus avg in handicap

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

You will see many new faces in the winner circle. Most of the good shooters will be moved back real quick. Some shooters will refuse to shoot small handicap events saving there energy for the big shoots. The reduction gives me a better chance to win an overall handicap event instead of just winning my yardage.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

By "energy" you mean "entry fee and punches"???

8. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

More concrete and 500 target reviews will fix the perceived problem.

9. brett44

brett44 Member

Still don't see how you have a better chance of winning. If a large portion of the group you have been shooting with take a reduction of two yards along with you, your score may be higher but your chances of winning would be about the same. If you can't beat the group you have been shooting against, moving that group forward by two yards probably won't help your chances of winning any.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

brett44 your probably right. moving up will usually increase your average in caps.

11. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

The only thing that will change is that the long yardage shooter's who move to mid-yardage will win for a short period and the mid-yardage who move to short yardage will win for a short period of time. My point is that only yardage group winner's will change. Not the over-all scheme of things.

JMHO

Ken

12. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Rick, I think you may be on to something in your vivid imagination. Maybe by then the ATA will do away with the rule of no more than 2 yards difference in a squad and let the 18 yarders shoot with the 40 yarders, I think all the bitchin would stop pretty quick.

Robert

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"The "need for more concrete" is never going to happen."

Not true ,more concrete "period" may never happen. The need for more concrete is upon us like it or not!!!!!!

"all it will mean is the less skilled shooters will have a small percentage better chance to turn in a perfect score, which is what it takes to be competitive at a bigger shoot."

In that case I suggest to you that the OP is correct. It will not change anything long term. It is a band-aid instead of a major fix to the problems.

Well Rick there are none so blind as he who will not see!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

14. ivanhoe

"By the way, weren't most of the 10 finalists in the Grand Handicap mid and short yardage shooters? Seems there was only a couple of 27 yarders and it was a 13 year old kid from the 18 that won it, wasn't?????"

Rick I don't know I do know that there were four 27 yarders. Rj Stuart's website says there were eight handicap events how they got the other two I am not sure.

The eventual winner was at 20.5 not 18.

I made my comment to you as a comment not an argument, you gave your opinion I gave mine just leave it at that shall we.

Bob Lawless

15. holdumpleas66

holdumpleas66 TS Member

try being 70 years old and shooting on the 27, dont think the 2 yard reduction wont help especially the average shooters not all-americans.

16. targetbreaker

targetbreaker Active Member

CONCRETE,most of the small clubs do not have the room to add it. the cost

would be to high, some would have to move clubhouse and parking,

most could not pick it upthe extra cost, because if everyone takes 2 yards off,
    there going to save it for a big shot to try to win big $$$$$,

but now the little clubs are going to pay the price.

and probly go under from lack of shooters.

targetbreaker

17. ivanhoe

"the cost would be to high, some would have to move clubhouse and parking"

Is your prospective so tainted that you can not see that both ends of a trap field are movable??????

Bob Lawless

18. running bear

running bear Member

Bob,

How are both ends of the trap field movable? Do you tear everything out and start over building new fields?

Buck

19. ivanhoe

Well It would be cheaper than moving the Clubhouse and Parking lot, Wouldn't it????

Bob Lawless

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

You don't have to add yardage-just come out with a new category--PROFESSIONAL, if you do nothing but shoot, teach clinics, receive guns & ammo from manufacturers--you are a pro. Just like the old days of the Olympics--the Soviet hockey team- was not a professional--RIGHT.

Let the pro's take money from each other & their sponsors

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.