1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Weeks in Germany--Advice?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gargoyle!, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

See as much of the area as you can. The older people who were alive during JFK days like to have the half dollar coins. The young people don't know what they are but the older ones do.

2. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Do the Rhine aflame dinner cruise- travel for it if you have to

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

If you speak any German at all, speak "proper" German to the older (senior) crowd. "Familiar" German should be ok for the average or younger person. Get a German/English phrase book (for common things to ask). You don't need a dictionary. I'm guessing that English will be pretty common though -- Bitburg used to be a military town.

Go to the town/village square and walk around the shops; stay away from touristy stuff, go the 'native' route if you can. You'll see/experience so much more. Check out the bakery's, the famous brewery (Bitburger Brauerei), the local restaurants. Grab a wurst & pomme frittes - yum. Definitely see the Mosel River (you should be pretty close). Trier is the oldest German City -- lots of Roman ruins to be found. You won't be far from Luxembourg either... catch a train or drive. It's a lovely little country.

Get most of your money there - use the ATM's; much better exchange rate, although you will be stuck buying Euros (1.00 USD = 0.739990 EUR as of today). You'll get a better return on your money when you get home. Do not buy money at the airport -- lousy exchange rates, too high of a fee.

Take lots of pictures and have a great time. I miss Germany, we lived there for quite a few years.

4. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

Try to speak a little of German and the people will go out of their way to help you understand.. They most all speak English to some degree, but want you to try to speak German. After all it's their Country. When dining out it's proper to only put you knife down after the meat dish is eaten. If you want your dish taken by the waiter/waitress, lay your utensils parallel on your plate. If you are taking a break or have to leave the table and are not done eating, lay your utensils across each other.

Remember, water is for bathing and beer is for drinking. LOL

There are to many places to be seen to tell you about. Bitburg is near the Rhine and as suggested, the dinner cruises are great. Most all the castles and churches are worth visiting

Hope you have a wonderful trip and visit with family

Gary.

5. drbones326

drbones326 TS Member

If you can fly to Germany out of the USA try Lufthansa Airlines to Frankfort.. German car rental companies give 10-20% discounts on a car rental if you fly Lufthansa.. Rent a diesel car. Fuel is more then double the price per gallon then the USA..Exchange your money before you go or at ATM machines..
    Good luck
    Charles C.

6. mike31z

mike31z Member

Do you need a in person tour guide?
    I lived in Germany from summer of 71 to fall of 73, (had a daughter born over there) and then again in fall of 84 to dec 86. I visited for 3 weeks in fall of 2000 and had on one confirmed reservation for our last night, the rest of the nights we found a place to stay here and there. I do it again if I had the bucks.
    I am assuming that some is in the ARMY.
    Packing Ideas
    Set your picture size to a smaller resolution to get more pic per card.
    Bring some good clothes and bring some old clothes so you can throw the old away to make room for what you want to bring home. Socks and underwear are good items to trash.
    Double check the amount/type of person hygiene items that you can bring and also pack some empty baggies just in case.
    Bring a digital camera with extra memory cards..

Places to visit.
    If you do not need a visa try a day trip into Luxemburg. Since your so close.
    Some time visiting a any small town especially if they are having a village level festival will be worth good memory.
    Visit any local winery were you can get a taste test. Also visit any local brewery’s . That area is full of both. See if any small town is having a soccer game during your stay and visit that there may be good chance to rub elbows with the Germans from small village who have different attitudes then big city germans.
    Go to Bad Kreuznack walk along the river (Nahe) near the big hotel (Rose sticks or something).
    If you can take a boat cruise from Mainz towards Koblenz. Or on the Mosel River near Trier.
    Visit Rothenburg ob der Tauber “Google Rothenberg” This is a Christmas Village 365. This a 4 hour Drive from Trier but worth it.
    Drive along the Trier River or any other river.
    If you stop in any local beer/wine (Tavern) and the beer is bitter (Bitburg Beer to me) cut it with coke. If the wine is to dry cut it with 7 up. I seen many germans sitting near me do the same thing. I cut some german beers with coke.
    Visit the historical gem and diamond cutting region of Idar-Oberstein in Germany. While you ther try some ICE wine. I have a bottle from 85 that we are to open when our doughter get married I turn it every so often to keep the cork wet I don’t know about the marriage yet.
    If your into racing the formula 1 track. Try The Nürburgring (alternatively spelled Nuerburgring), known as simply "the Ring" by enthusiasts, is the name of a famous motorsport race track in Nürburg don’t confuse it were they had the trials after WWII thats on the other side of the country,
    I’ll stop now and I only covered part of mid west germany

If you rent a car the radio won’t work it’s an anti theft thing,

mike in wisconsin

7. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

All tea is HOT, the only place you can get ICE (frozen water) is usually McDonalds. Spatze is half Coke and half Orange Fanta soda. Wheat beer will have things floating in it, and it takes a few days to get used to. Fussen is near 2 of Ludwigs castles, they have tours in English. If it is a personal picture (won't get blown bigger later), low pixels. If you want an 8" X 10" later, high pixels. Delete bad pictures each night. Take your coverter plugs, most electronic chargers are 110v and 240V and will automatically detect European voltage. Since it is 240v, it will take about half the US charge time. Cameras are stolen easy, guard them with your life. Zimmer Frei is a bed and breakfast, you will normally be treated great at a fair price. You will also learn about a normal German family as you will eat breakfast in their breakfast room which usually has a lot of family history and pictures. Oberammergau is close to Linderhoff Castle and is the home of the Passion Play. Many houses here have painted stories on them. Trains leave on TIME. Cameras are mounted for speeders and construction zones. Most tourist locatons have copies of their text for sale in English. Internet cafes are common in most larger cities.

How do I know all this? My wife flew out this morning with several of her German students for the next three weeks. I am sitting in Omaha with my dog, Koening Ludwig II, and loading shells. She should be in Stuttgart by now. Email me directly if you have more questions. Das tut mir leid to my German friends, but I cannot find my umlaut key this late at night. Gute Reise!!! Omaha

8. plester73

plester73 TS Member

I'm touring Germany right now...I'm writing you from Garmisch in the German Alps. Everyone's on the right track, but here's a few recommendations:

1. If you are military / retired, you can get good rental car rates through thrifty / Sixt / Europcar. You can rent an Audi A4 / BMW 3 series for about $375 for a week. If at all possible, buy the fuel tickets in the PX and redeem them at Esso gas stations...the saving are about half, but only military folks can get these tickets (100 liters a week).

2. Try to hit Garmisch...an amazing town, lots to see, lots to do.

3. If you can get to Stuttgart, go to the new Meredes-Benz museum...it is amazing...8 stories tall, plan at least 3 hours for the tour...I'm serious, this is worth the drive / train ride.

4. The castle tours are great (so I've been told, I'm going next week).

5. Bring really good / sturdy walking shoes. If you decide to hit the walking tours / volksmarches in the alps, most of the trails aren't too tough. However, as yo gain altitude, they get a bit more difficult.

6. Tips...don't need to leave any because most places add a 18.99% VAT. Most people round up to the next Euro.

I'll write more later...I'm heading up to tour the Dachau camp in a few minutes.

Paul

9. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

First thing to remember is you are a guest in their country, after that you will have a ball. Let the common folks know you are a tourist and many doors will open for you. I lived there for 10 years and had only two bad experiences. Beautiful country and great people.

Paul: have been to Dachau several time, a very somber place. Jake

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

1. Practice your beer drinking. The german beers are much heavier and higher alcohol content. They will put you in a coma if you are not in proper "guzzling" shape.

2. rent a fast car and hit the autobahn. Nothing like driving with no speed
    limit (do this sober!)Watch your rear view mirror. I was driving 110 mph in an old Opel and guys were passing me on motercycles like i was standing still!

11. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I went to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in '94 with my wife and mother-in-law, and will never forget it. The only negative part is that you are still several months away from Oktoberfest in Munich, which we enjoyed, and which everbody should expenience at least once in their lives. Funny, we stayed in a hotel in Munich for Oktoberfest, a Munich Beer festival, and they served us Bitburger beer (one of the truly great German beers) in the hotel bar!

If you're in Füssen, I'm assuming per one of the posts you will be seeing the "Koenigschlosser" (Neuschwanstein & Hoehenschwangau castles).

Also agree that you want to go see Rotenberg Ob Der Tauber (Rotenberg on the Tauber river), which is a Medieval town surrounded by a high fortress wall that we visited. If you go, you want to get the "reiseandanken" booklet to see how the Allies leveled this town during WWII, and then how it was meticulously rebuilt after the war.

But if you want to see something truly amazing, drive down the Swiss autobahn to Interlaken, and then take the train up to see the Jungfrau mountain range (Swiss alps). This was the highest point of many high points on our trip.

Good luck, you will enjoy this experience! - JoeBerg

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Prairiedog, Any coin with JFK on it will do but if you can get the coins of the 60's just might be liked alittle bit more but you will have to pay more for those then face value of the coins today. Remember the ones in the 60's some were silver till I think 64.

13. fred adrio

fred adrio TS Member

Stay away from the high end hotels in the big towns and go to a little town that has a Gusthouse ,The rates are 100% cheaper and do not forget to say Bitte aftr speaking with them ."May I have the salt," Bitte .which means please. I have a hard time doing that but I succedded

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bitte = please (kind of sounds like saying the word bitter, without he "r")

Danke = thanks

Danke schon = thanks very much (do NOT use the improper pronunciation popularized by the Wayne Newton song! It sounds more like the word shoe, with an "n" at the end)

Wie geht es Ihnen? = how are you? (sounds like "vee gate ess eenen")

Or, you could sum it up by saying:

Ich spreche keine Deutsch; sprechen sie English? = I speak no German; do you speak English?

Have fun!

15. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Here is all the German you need to know;

Bier, Bitte! (Beer please)

Noch ein Bier, bitte! (another Beer Please)

Keep saying this and your German will automatically improve, or it won't matter anyway!

Remember to order the locally brewed beer, and you will be fine. Don't order Becks anywhere but near Bremen, where it is brewed. Most Germans think Becks is sour and awful.

The univeral greetings in Bavaria are "Gruess Gott" (God's blessings)when you meet somebody, and "Tchuss!" (pronounced, "shoose") when you depart.

This post brings back a lot of great memories for me!
    -JoeBerg

16. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

If you make an effort to speak German, they will respect that and many will tryp to help you even thought their English is better than our German. Sometimes their English is better that OUR
    ENGLISH. I sprache nur wirklich furtchbar Deustch.

17. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Here's another vote for Hohenschwangau castle. Supposedly it's the inspiration for the ballet "Swan Lake". That's what we were told when we were there anyway.) "Schwan" means swan, so naturally there's a lovely lake with swans, etc. Neuschwanstein is the "fairy tale" castle everyone is familiar with, it's only a few miles away from Hohenschwangau.

Oberammergau is worth seeing if you're in the vicinity of Garmisch. Maybe take the cable car to the summit of the Zugspitze as well.

If you're in Munich have lunch/dinner at "THE", original, Hofbrauhaus.

Have a good trip.

18. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

One more thing. While you are there please take some pic's of my relatives. They are hanging around some of the older buildings on the egde's. Just want to see how their doing. Thanks.

19. hsharief

hsharief TS Member

If you're in Koln (Cologne) I think a Rhine river cruise and a tour of the Dom Cathedral are a must. It is AMAZING to say the least. Also as someone else suggested, bring comfortable walking shoes, there's lots of walking and you'll enjoy it. Walk walk walk, see see see, gulp gulp gulp, walk walk walk ;) I hope you have a good time.

20. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

Don't drink and drive,
    Stay out of the left lane.
    Never einfahrt when you should be ausfahrting.
    I wish I was going with you.
    Clif Adams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.