1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

two way radios

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trapman99, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

looking for a good set of two way radios for hunting just wondering what everyone else uses witch brands seem to work best any info would be wonderfull
    thanks jim

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

What kind of terrain and how far do you want the radios to work? Bill Malcolm

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

some states they are illegal

GB
    DLS

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My son and i actually use our cell phones now but we used to like 2 way radios for hunting.

We used Midland Model LXT317. They are really low cost and work quite well. Now as mentioned above, the distance at what you wish to use them is very important. I believe the ones i am showing are advertised at like 14miles. I'll tell you right now you won't get 14 miles out of them but more like 5 miles especially when hunting densely wooded areas with hills and valleys. They worked great for my son and i as we were usually only about 1500-2500yds apart. This particular model has 22 channels. They also have various silencing modes where it won't spook game if your partner calls at a bad time.

I believe the last pair we bought were under $20. They are sold in pairs. Midland has been around the communication business for many many years. I know the police used to use Midland radios exclusively. They have other models that are supposed to have a longer range.
    grntitan_2009_2503277.jpg

5. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

i would only need less than 5 mile radios but the terrain is heavy woods and hills ive seen some that say 36 mile witch i know wont go that far just thought if i got the 36 mile ones they might work within yhe area im hunting

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I believe the model i listed above would be more than enough for your needs. I read the instructions last night before putting them away. I think i have been using the wrong channels. It seems there are certain channels that have a lower range and some with a higher range. The way i understand it, the lower range channels are to keep from throwing your converstation way out. Obviously if you are at a greater distance, you would want to use the upper higher output channels. Anyway you go, the Midland radios are worth the money in my eyes. If the cost of the longer range models are not too high it may be worth getting but keep in mind you may also recieve unwanted skip with the longer range models.

I know Motorola also makes 2-way radios but i don't know anything about them.

Hope this helps you get an idea of what to look for anyway.

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

We used the Motorola's in the bush in Northern Ontario, moose hunting. They worked very well, but we never tried them that far apart. They also didn't always work well if you were standing beside a rock, which blocked the signal. Bill Malcolm

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

I've used Motorola for years, not really sure if they are any better than anybody else's, I bought them several years ago I think the were like $60 for the pair, might be cheaper now though

They are also handy if you are traveling in a couple of vehicle to communicate while on the road, much faster than cell phone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.