1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Machines for Doubles?!?!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

At the gun club over here in South Africa, I was surprised to find that they have a dedicated trap field for ATA doubles, because it has two trap machines!

I went in the box and looked. Sure enough. Two machines. One set up with the arm rotating clockwise, the other with the arm counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise as they say here.)

Release point for the two machines were essentially one on top of the other.

Never seen this arrangement before.

BTW, the labels on the machines say "WINCHESTER LaPorte"

I'll take pics next time I go out.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've seen the same thing at a couple of local clubs. They are hard to get set, but once they are they throw nice targets. It takes someone with the patience of Jobe to get them right.

ss

3. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Actually their easier to set than a machine that throws two targets with one arm. On a single arm machine when you want to change one of the targets flight, you are also changing the other target too. On the twinlap Laporte, you can change either target independent of the other. This is especially helpful with a left to right crosswind.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

One bird comes out before the other. I didn't notice it but others did.

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

LaPorte 285

A friend of mine who used to run excellent ATA registered shoots had four of these at his club. He loved them for singles and handicap as well as doubles. They threw from each side alternately, and if one went down the other could take over the whole job. If the shoot was small, he could just load targets in the morning, and run all day.

An interesting point is that with both arms throwing singles, alternate targets would come out with opposite spin.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yep, that's exactly what it looked like.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In bunker double trap they use three machines. HMB

8. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

HMB,

FYI - In International/olympic trap or bunker they use 15 machines. In Universal trench or bunker they use 5.

Shoot well, Tom

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are getting some shooting in anyway Tim. Have you joined any leagues or shot any formalized competitive events?

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tom,

FYI - In the bunker there are 15 machines, when shooting double trap only the 3 machines opposite station 3 are used. HMB

11. plaw

plaw Active Member

our club has two of these twinlap traps,if you are getting one bird before the other you have a timing problem,our worst problem is enoough room to get in the house to fill it!

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

In 1994 I was at the Shot Show in Dallas with H-S Precision from here, helping them in their booth.

Tom Houghton, CEO of H-S, and I met with LaPorte and considered becoming their exclusive dealer in the US. This was prior to H-S's buyout of the Winchester-Western trap & skeet manufacturing business.

Tom was interested, but the sole LaPorte spokesperson, must have been a son of the owner. All he could talk about was the family's ceramic tile business and was not very knowledgeable on the machines.

Incidentally, if the South African gun club is the Valley Gun Club, I was responsible for shipping them all their W-W machines and getting them into ATA shooting. Paul de Villiers was the initial contact for them there. Paul has a winery in Suider-Paarl.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Impossible to set an even pair of doubles since both target arms are fixed at different heights. Although a well built piece of equipment it doesn't present doubles very well, let alone interpret the rules for setting doubles.

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

What were the Italian machines called?. They looked like the Leports.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I would think it would be easier to set a perfect pair of doubles with two machines, provided the timing is right. Each machine is separately adjustable. Making an adjustment on one doesn't affect the other. And the elevation difference between the two arms is only a scant few inches. Hardly noticeable once the target leaves the house.

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

If they are not coming out at different times then they must be coming out at different heights. Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

17. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I remember when Olin Corp. (Winchester) installed LaPorte's at their shotgun range in East Alton. It was late 80's or so and I was shooting in an industrial skeet league. Them frog machines couldn't even get one target out on time.

sissy

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't understand. Why are there three machines used in bunker trap for doubles? Thanks, Dave

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

They don't use 3 at the same time. Just 2 per scheme, but each scheme will involve different combination of the 3 traps.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dave,

The three machines are controlled by a computer program. The left and right machine have a maximum angle of 5 degrees which is much less than the setup used by the ATA for doubles. Only one pair is shot on a station and then you move to the next station. Squads contain six shooters, one moving from station 5 to station 1 whiles the others are shooting their pair. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.