1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two gun flinching

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gun fitter, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

To all of you two gun shooters out there that have devoloped a flinch. I want to know did the flinch start with one gun or did it happen at the same time for both guns. I have a theory but want to hear about some of the experinces of more shooters out there.

Which Gun First? Did you find a cure? What have you done? What did you try.

Joe goldberg

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Gee Joe, I thought you knew all about flinching and had some miracle cure? No? Didn't think so.

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

There's no miracle for inbreeding.

I'm looking for some serious input not your moronic statements.
    Joe

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Thanks BIGBORE Have a very happy fourth and let us all not forget what today is all about. Happy Independance Day to all even JBROOKS
    Joe

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Makes sense.

Did the tune up help any?
    Joe

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe, it would be interesting to compare theories concerning flinching. I'll PM you later. Hap

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Joe and Hap.... I am seriously interested in both of your therories. Would you both please PM me with some information on them....Thanks.....Dan

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

99% of my "flinching" (more like a spastic jerk) happens when I don't really see the bird, and shoot later than my "normal" timing occurs. I call it "Polish Confusion".

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Could Gunfit Contribute to Flinching. I know most flinches are visual some are poor triggers and some is a pure lack of focus.
    JB Did I miss any other Causes.
    Joe

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I believe the primary cause of flinching is related to the trigger. Having been a rifle competitor for many years I find it beyond belief that a trap shooter will spend thousands of dollars for a competition shotgun which does not have an adjustable trigger. Even inexpensive target rifles have triggers that are fully adjustable. You can take the creep out, adjust the weight of pull, and adjust the over travel.

I believe that most flinches start because of a bad trigger. HMB

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Some are!

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I find I will flinch occassionally if/when I start anticipating and moving the gun before I see the target, one of my many bad habits. When I get after myself to NOT move the gun before I see the target and read it's flightpath then I never flinch.

I'm thinking it's a visual thing? Like....when I move the gun prematurely I never really get a good visual lock on the target and my sub-concious can't decide whether to pull the trigger-----or not (sub-concious indecision)??

John C. Saubak

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I think it is most of the time.
    Brooks are you through?
    Joe

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I used to think my flinch was visual until I got the release. Evidently release triggers have some hidden optical power because I haven't lost eye contact with a target since.

There is some physiological disconnect that happens from time to time that inderdicts the finger contraction command. I don't know how or why and only would have an academic interest in finding out. Not only does a release motion eliminate it, it seems to be a superior bio-mechanical process for firing a gun.

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

So you hit all of them?
    Joe

16. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Joe,

So you hit all of yours with a pull?

shoot well and have fun......Rickyd

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

LOL I didn't say I did but the post above me said that he never lost visual contact and a release was a perfect fire control device so how could you miss if you looking at the target?
    Joe

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'd call Lawrence Polinski I'm sure he could do a trigger job on it. LoL Only kidding. I have a gamo and it bounces a bit when you fire it.
    Joe

19. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Joe, 10 yrs ago with an 1100, the trigger felt like it was dragging in gravel. Flinch was as I remember 3-4 per 25. I went looking for a new gun, never really even heard of a release and was CERTAINLY not looking for one. Took a look at a BT99 at a shop and asked to try the trigger with a snap cap, I got a bit of a surprise with the 2 click/clunks...the gun was NOT marked as a release, I initially handed it back to the clerk, but then tried it again and said what the hell and bought it, it wasn't a lot of $$ and I figured I could get it switched back if necessary. That was in 1998, I have never looked back.

In 02 I bought a pull/pull XT for doubles. I continue to shoot this gun for dubs and flinched with it today on a pair. Didn't line up on a first bird and flinched on the correction, swung late and flinched on the 2nd, only two I flinched on.
    On the XT when I do get a flinch I can usually hear the and feel my finger fluttering on the trigger, actually taking up the slack in the trigger but not pulling it.

Currently shoot a 687 w/release, never feel anything that feels like a flinch, and while I don't hit them all every time (nobody does), quite often I do! Frank C.

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I don't hit all of them every time, yet, but I do hit a lot more than 95% of the guys shooting pull triggers :).