1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two gun clubs in one????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

And, who goes to the meetings from your side?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Good question, hope we get some good suggestions, a lot of clubs are in the same situation. A club I belong to (yes private) is "so far" fairly equitable but leaning that way, ie charging shotgunners guests more than R&P guests. This practice is keeping the shotgun discipline from growing, in fact it is shrinking. I shoot a little of both, (more shotgun) when I bring a guest to shoot R&P that's fine but when I want to bring the same guest to shoot shotgun then they charge my guest DOUBLE target fee, to me that's wrong, I pay my dues the same as everyone else but only get half of the benefits. Unfortunately this is the only club within reasonable distance. Ross Puls

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have seen this before. Let's just say what ever shooting discipline has more members, that will be the sport that controls everything. If your group is in the minority, your group will be treated like red headed step children. Having less shooters and bringing in less revenue, let's just say your in a no win situation.
    Steve Balistreri

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I was formerly a member of a club that had several factions vying for the money and control. The pistol shooters brought in the most members but they were members only long enough to get their Pistol permit from the city. The pistol house was a dark hole we kept throwing money into. Finally after several years of losing large sums on the pistol house a separate fee was passed if you wanted to have access to the pistol house during off hours. That worked for a while but I think it has now been modified. The charge was $25/ year I believe. That pistol house is now on its 5th ventilation system, that I know of, all of which cost in the thousands and never work as represented. It used to be a very active 2 trap 2 Skeet and sporting clays club in fact one year we threw 1,000,000 targets. Under the current board they are lucky to throw 1 trailer load a year. It is a great facility with loads of potential/ JRM

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yes, I was a member of a club that had Skeet, trap, pistol and rifle. The skeet people ended up in control of the board, and while barely tolerating trap shooters, ended up shutting down the rifle and pistol lanes for "SAFETY ISSUES". There was nothing that could not have been cured with one day of a bulldozer operator, and the money for that was readily available. Within two years about 3/5ths of the membership had quit paying dues and the gun club in the next town to the west gained enough members to add a cowboy action shooters range. Something no one counted on, it many of the people that left were also the ones who volunteered to maintain the place and to help work the shotgun matches. The club had enough assets to continue to survive, but many conversations were about the old days when there were "at least twice as many people" at events and how much fun the cook outs used to be.

I was also at a club where the skeet people took control and without saying anything to the trap department head took out one of the trap fields, stole and traded off the trap machine for another skeet machine, and poured a concrete slab for a pavilion where the west trap house was. When confronted, the board invited the trap shooters to leave.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Skeet shooters are evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.