1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

two eyes open low hold(any top shooters)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jrb100, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I was wondering if any top shooters hold on front lip of house for singles.I seem to jump at alot of targets when I hold above the house.I have been shooting trap for five years and wondering if I should try harder to shoot low gun,so I am more likely to keep the gun still until the target comes out.

thanks,
    joe

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I hold at the lip of the house. Sometimes the birds tend to streak past me but not to bad. I've been experimenting with a higher hold. I got some TS videos and a higher hold has peaked my interest. Less gun movement. Dave T.

3. vdt

vdt Active Member

low and slow

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The height of the eyes is just as important than the height of the hold. If you ever have the chance to go to one of Harlan Campbell's schools, take it. He will help you learn to keep your vision above the gun in the area where the target becomes "whole and clear". Keeping the eyes above the barrel (and the barrel just above the house) and letting the peripheral vision pick up the target eliminates the "streak" phase and lets the focused vision pick up a clear, distinct shape.

Morgan

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What about those shooters with good eyesight that can see a whole target as soon as it clears the house roof? Some shooters never see the tail streak some speak of, so my guess would be to look where you see a whole complete clay without the streaking effect. On the other hand, seeing a streak will tell you immediately what the angle is, let your eyes catch up,lock on and bust the clay? Hap

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" What about those shooters with good eyesight that can see a whole target as soon as it clears the house roof?"

No matter how good the eyesight is, it's the brain that processes the image and the brain isn't capable of processing data fast enough to eliminate the streaking. It can shorten it to a minimum IF the shooter knows exactly where the target will appear along the roof edge but it can't eliminate it completely. If the eyes are properly "unfocused" while waiting for the target, the peripheral vision will determine the angle of the emerging target FASTER than focused vision will because it is covering a larger area. The brain, of course, must be prepared to receive that kind of information of the exercise is pointless.

Morgan

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sorry Captain, but I never see a streak. In fact I have looked for a streak and still can see it. All I see is the target come out.

Leo Harrison suggested I mount the gun, line up with a point in the field for each post and then look back to the house where the target should emerge. Consequenty, my eyes are focused on the target the whole flight. The game slowed way down.

YMMV

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

OK, if you say so. But I've tried for years to find a technique to accomplish that and every eye doctor I've talked to (including Frank Rively) agrees that there will be a streak of some length unless the eyes are already in motion along the correct path when the target enters the visual field.

Morgan

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Morgan, just because one shooter sees a streak doesn't mean everyone else does! Personally, I can't undo the focus of my vision in the lazy manner a lot of scribes use in an attempt to describe how to use one's peripheral vision. That sort of writing does make for a good selling article for the magazines in my opinion though.

"If the eyes are properly "unfocused" while waiting for the target, the peripheral vision will determine the angle of the emerging target FASTER than focused vision will because it is covering a larger area."

Your quote above comes directly from those same scribe writings to which I'd ask them to prove it? Morgan, that just don't make good sense when you try it for your own eye abilities? Looking intently at an object or line won't take away your peripheral vision skills. The only way your peripheral vision diminishes is when your pupil gets smaller. Looking intently at an object or a line out there won't cause the pupil to get smaller, only more light will. Try it for yourself and see but above all, you have to be honest to yourself in what you see and what you don't. Hap

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

rudy etchen told me that he always held on top of the trap house so as to track the target all the way.

11. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

A couple of fair shooters that hold low guns are Ricky Marshall and Nora Ross.
    Dan Bonillas recommends a low hold, but he holds a high gun. But he has both
    eyesight and the ability not to move until he gets a clear target image. There are many more noted shooters that hold on the front of the house or slightly above. - Jim

12. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Joe- IF you wish to discuss send me an email.
    email address is pkinerATphilkinerDOTCOM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.