1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two eye's on the call, one eye on the kill

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zeebheath, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeebheath

zeebheath Active Member

Do any of you one eyed shooters call for the bird with both eye's open so you can hold a high gun,
    Then close your off eye when you see the Target and go for The Kill ? Does this method work ?
    Is it difficult to get used to ? I currently hold on the top edge of the house with tape on my off eye.
    Im looking for less gun movement and better target acquisition. Thanks Heath

2. windyflat

windyflat Member

Two eye's on the call, one eye on the Kill.

Shot with a guy today that shoots just as you described. Harvey holds a very high gun.. parallel or higher depending on the birds. I always assumed he was a two eyed shooter but he mentioned today that he calls for the bird with both eyes open then closes his dominant left eye so he can shoot the bird with his right eye.
    Guess he just never wanted to switch shoulders and shoot lefty??
    Pretty darn good shooter.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I only have a small dot of tape on my left lense. I hold a high gun and can see the bird with both eyes. Off eye only gets blocked out when I move the gun to the target. Works for me. Mark

4. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

I too have been thru that hell with a wrong side master eye.I call with two,then get
    the rock with one.I can make all the angle shots but am missing what looks like
    easy staightaways.Did a search on here and believe Im under them,in the morning
    Ill try follow thru up the bird........Yes on aquire the bird with two eyes for me.

5. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I shoot Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting Clays and hunt. EXCEPT for trap, I have both eyes open when I call for the bird and then close my left eye as my finger goes to the trigger. For trap, I mount, close my left eye, refocus and call for the bird. I now shoot a lot more skeet, sporting, etc.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If I could keep both eyes open during the Call and then close my left eye at the moment of truth, I would do it in a heart beat.

7. BreakUmAll

BreakUmAll Member

I was a 2 eyed shooter for several years and got to the point where I had trouble with the hard lefts ( I'm a righty ). Started to close off eye on left hand birds (that was too much to think about). So I call for the bird with both eyes open and when I see where the bird is going, I close my left eye and have very good results. It is strange at first but after about 800 to a 1000 rounds you don't have to think about it, It Just Happens. I still miss a few left hand birds but no more than any of the others.. Indiana State Shoot 2010 I broke 247 of 250 for runner-up A Class. So it does work.. Have a good day on the range and if somethings not working, Try Anything lto fix it. Who knows it just might work... BreakUmAll Larry

8. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

Using a XDS device, will help you to keep your two eyes open when you call for the bird and keep them open when you deliver the shot. In other words you don't have to close one eye( wink)which is a distraction from the target focus.
    In the same time you can shoot from your handedness side if you encounter cross dominance or cross firing.
    Your eyes are free of any blocker and relaxed.

9. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

I am a right handed shooter with left eye dominance. I call with both eyes open in order to take advantage of the faster target recognition made available by binocular vision and my stronger left eye and then close my left eye when I fire. This adds another step to the shooting process and, very occasionally, my ability to close the left eye in a coordinated and timely manner becomes awkward and I can briefly have a problem. Practice helps greatly. I have a Jordan Wall Chart and it is a great way to aid with your timing and smooth out your swing.

10. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I started as a one eye shooter, but wanted to shoot with both. Without even thinking about it now, I call with both eyes open but find I close the left just before pulling the trigger.

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A famous shooter and all american of the past claimed he shot this way.

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

And his name would be a secret?

13. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Come on Pheasantmaster, you have struck our curiosity. Scott

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I am guessing his name was Ewing.

15. eck44

eck44 TS Member

I wear a baseball cap when shooting (no suprise here) but I adjust it so only my right eye is looking down the barrel. I also hold a high gun. The bird is visible with both eyes leaving the house,but is blocked from view when it gets in my wheelhouse. Works for me!?

16. eck44

eck44 TS Member

Yeah, right. Blocked from view on my left eye!

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

eck44.We need a pic of you in your "cocked hat"

18. eck44

eck44 TS Member

MIA Sir,

I'm computer challenged, so here's a description rather than a picture.

I curve the bill and wear it (non-hoody style) pulled down. That achieves two things. First it blocks my left eye from seeing the the barrel and sights and second it hides some of my face so I don't scare little children or dogs.

Les

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Didn't mean leave you guys in distress. Guess Igot in a hurry.

Yes it was Don Ewing

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Eck. I'm hard at it right now. bending and braking the bill of my Trapshooters.com All-Star hat. I'll be done soon and willpost a picture

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.