1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two-Eyed Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JD Jake, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

I'm a one-eyed shooter, so I see a clear, whole rib when I mount the gun and check my alignment.

If I mount with both eyes open and check my alignment the rib isn't clear and I have to close my left eye (I shoot right handed) to see if the beads line up. Is that the way it is for two-eyed shooters? Or do they typically see a clear, whole rib?

I'm considering trying two-eyed shooting. I tried it once with disasterous results and I'm wondering if I should try it again in an effort to hopefully, eventually improve my game.

Thanks,

JD

2. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

Based on the tests (looking through a hole in a piece of paper, or holding my thumb up), I believe I'm right eye dominant. However, I've used one eye since starting trap four years ago.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

if you want to shoot two eyes, learn to shoot lefty maybe????

4. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

I shoot righty, and I believe I'm right eye dominant - - which would be the right fit.

What I'm wondering/asking is if two-eyed shooters see the rib the way I've described it in my first note.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> Took a couple of rounds of trap for my brain to acclimate.

Couple of rounds? It took me a couple of months.

When you play baseball, do you look at the bat or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you play golf, do you look at the club head or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you play tennis, do you look at the racket or the ball? With 1 eye or 2?

When you merge onto the freeway, do you look at the hood of your car or where you want to go ? 1 eye or 2?

Are you starting to see a pattern here?

Look at your target and your brain will do the rest. Yes, I know, it’s not for everybody, but give it a try for a few months.

Now onto something else. After you hit the ball with the (bat, club, racket) do you stop dead in your tracks, or do you follow thru?

You follow thru.

Same thing in sporting clays, if you stop the gun, you probably shot behind the target.

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Oh, I'm right handed and right eye dominant. Since we all have two eyes and they're next to each other you're going to see to images. It's called parallax.

Click the above link for more info.

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

After reading several threads on this subject I have learned there is a difference between shooting two eyed and shooting with both eyes open.I shoot with both eyes open but am apparently a one eyed shooter because I use a magic dot and a barrel blinder,you just have to figure out what works for you.But after shooting for years with one eye closed even if it takes a magic dot and a barrel blinder and a bunch of crappy scores along the way you will be much happier shooting with both eyes open.Jerry

8. setter

setter Member

JD Jake,

The answer to your question is yes! But in this instance my right eye is my dominant eye and the principle is the same as when shooting a pistol (i.e. both eyes are open but only my right eye, my "master eye", "see's the front sight). It's the development of the "master" eye that permits one to shoot with both eyes open and to see the one image of the sighting plane.

Jim

9. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Ah, my favorite trap shooting subject. I am right handed, left eye dominate. I played the tape over the left eye game but always felt it was less than ideal. I quit shooting and then got back into the game at age 64 after a long layoff. This time I said to heck with it and moved the gun to my left shoulder, at the same time I went to a release. Talk about an interesting few weeks. The transition was really quite a smooth one. I went to my optomitrist and explained that I wanted distance prescription lenses for just shooting trap. He worked with me on that and it turned out good. I can see the target in great detail with both eyes open. I then discovered that sometimes, when I start getting a little tired that my right eye would take over the dominate role some of the time, briefly, just messing with me. I then went to the HiViz sight and a sight blinder to cut of the view of the right, weak eye to the front sight. This combination works great. The left eye is forced to be always dominate. I don't look at the front sight, even when I mount the gun. Just the soft focus, hard focus that Kiner teaches. My misses now are solely from thinking. If I could just get my brain to freewheel for 25 shots in a row. That is a real challenge and something I am working on. gyrine

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jake- A "two eyed" shooter who mounts his gun on the side of his dominant eye will see the same thing you see when your left eye is closed.

ysr_racer- You asked a series of questions similar to "when you play golf do you look at the ball with 1 or 2 eyes". The answer is-- no. You look at the ball with your dominant eye, your other eye is open but you are concentrating on the ball with your dominant eye. That is if you hit the ball in the direction you want to hit the ball. As you swing the club, most of your weight will be supported by your dominant foot (we are both right/left handed and right/left footed). As you read this, you will process the information primarily with the dominant side of your brain. If you are analytical, that is typically the left side.

Lateral dominance involves much more than your eyes and hands.

Pat Ireland

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I sure wish someone would come up with the answer. I'm trying to convert to two eyes and it's been a bit of a struggle to say the least.

Pat, I hope you're not charging a lot for golf lessons. There may be a dominate foot in football, soccer,(not too much), but golf? Happy New Year, Bob

12. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

JD-If shooting for you works by closing an eye then that's what you should do. I listened to many shooters who told me that you have to shoot with both eyes open, all the greats do it that way. I talked to a trapshooter who has won many trapshooting titles and was suprized to find out he closed an eye when shooting. It worked for him for around 60 years now. The other day I watched a video on Nora Ross (who has won everything there is to win). In the video she mounted the gun and closed her left eye and called for a target. It works well for her.

Joe

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot with both eyes open since 1954 but I am having a problem with occasional crossfiring as I get older. I use a bead blinder Uni-Dot front sight on my trapgun and now I am using a tape patch on my left lens for hunting because it is more reliable. The rib and front bead on my gun is a solid image with my left eye blocked with tape but the rib image is very transparent and weak (see right through) when both eyes are open. Jake, you May or May Not be able to shoot with both eyes Open. My advice is Don't spend the rest of your shooting career fighting the problem just because some people say you must shoot with both eyes.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

JD Jake, What you describe is what I see when I look down the rib with both eyes open. I don't have a dominant eye. It sounds like you don't either, or at best, your right eye is weakly dominant. If you were strongly right eye dominant, the rib would appear the same whether you closed your left eye or not.

I'm still struggling with the issue. I absolutely_cannot_stand to shoot one-eyed, so I won't. Since it obviously does not bother you, why change? I tried one-eyed shooting during two extended trails. Except for one situation unique to me, I noticed no difference in my ability to pick up the target. The only difference is you have to hold low on the trap house, because you cannot "see around" the barrels with one eye.

15. powderburn

powderburn Member

JD Jake,
    Two eyes open gives you the benefit of depth perception, which helps you pick up target movement faster. Trapshooting is timing and also reaction timing. I started shooting w/ one eye, but in time, it just kind of happened that I started opening up the other eye. Yes, scores suffered at first, but after a season, they started coming up.
    You should see the rib peripherally. Your focus should be out in front of the traphouse. Not on the rib. You will see the target blur from underneath the barrel, it'll come up over the barrel, will come into focus, and bang. your instinct shooting to a degree, but also focusing on the lead in front of the target. I know in the field, when a rooster pheasant comes up, I never even thought to close one eye. It's all instinct. Where your eyes look, the barrel will follow. Hope this helps. Shooting some skeet will help you with this also. Yes, there, I said it. It won't happen over night to get comfortable. It might take a season of shooting or longer. Stay out of the money shoots til it comes natural!

16. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

I used to shoot everything with both eyes, Bow, pistol, scoped rifle, and of course shotgun. I'm so crappy eyed now that I can't see the sights on my pistol or muzzleloader without my reading glasses and can't see the target with the glasses on. I'm ready to try one of the aperture aids but haven't done so yet. When I was constantly shooting trap and pistol (at a younger age), it was automatic for me. Just mount my trapgun and stack the beads, pull the scoped rifle up, aim the pistol etc. I could always see the sights and target with both eyes open. It was natural for me and I guess I was blessed with being right eye doninant. I can't give you any advise if your left eye doninant except maybe try one of the magic dots on your shooting glasses, or shoot left handed. The main thing should be feeling comfortable with what your doing.

Here's the magic - you know you can break every target at every position on the trap range, just like you know you can throw a tennis ball against a brick wall and catch it. But can you throw the tennis ball against a brick wall and catch it 100 times in a row. That's kind of what trapshooting is like. You need to be comfortable with your gun mount and only focus on 'this' target your shooting right now.

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

zzt and powderburn, Thanks for your help. Some of what you mention is gradually coming into play on occasion, I think/hope? LOL. I see from other comments that it has taken some people a good deal of lead down the barrel to change also. Thanks again for some key words. Shoot often while we can, Bob

Edit: For hmb-- below. Very good comment. That's one of the first things I did and found two eyes to be only slightly higher, easily adjusted. Rather than fixed as Neil suggests, I just looked at the cross, shouldered and fired. I surprised myself with the consistancy.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you would like to shoot with two eyes you should perform the following test. Go to the patterning board and from 13 yards shot five shots using one eye. Now shoot five shots using two eyes. Is the POI the same or is it dfferent? Inorder to be successful using two eyes you need to adjust your gun so the POI is hitting where you are aiming. Many people when going from one eye to two eye shooting need to make this adjustment, and never realize that the POI can be very different when using two eyes. HMB

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

JD, I sent you a PM. Hap

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob Hawkes- We have a dominate hand and foot no mater what we are doing. You probably have a dominate right hand. It remains your dominate hand all the time, even when you are sleeping. Dominate does not mean you use it for everything. The same is true about your foot. You can suppress dominance but it can't be changed without rewiring your brain.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

prescription lenses for deeped perception one eyed shooter

rib mounted blinder

two eyed shooting