1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Eyed Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I have no doubt that being a one eyed shooter handicaps me severely so I'm going to make the switch to two eyed shooting starting tomorrow. I figure that shooting two winter leagues should give me enough practice between now and spring to make the switch without affecting ATA scores in the spring (at least I hope!)

So my question is is there anything I should do different besides keep both eyes opening when trying to make the switch from a one eyed to two eyed shooting style?

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

<I>"I have no doubt that being a one eyed shooter handicaps me severely..."</I>

Where did you get that idea? No, wait... I'll bet it was from a buddy that told you that "if you ain't 2-eyed, you ain't @#?&, right?

There is a reason you shoot with 1 eye.

Trying to shoot with 2 eyes will help you rediscover what it is.

Mike K

3. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

...or not

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"Where did you get that idea?"

I've had many times where I lose a bird because my field of vision is restricted with only one eye.

5. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

"<I>I've had many times where I lose a bird because my field of vision is restricted with only one eye."</I>

I can see it in sporting and maybe in skeet, but there's another problem at work if you think you're losing trap targets just because you use 1 eye. You know where the target will appear and when; all you have to do is lock onto it visually when it shows up and it should be as good as dead.

Mike K

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When you shoot trap with one eye or a tape patch on your off shoulder lens you need to hold a lower gun over the traphouse otherwise your barrel will block your field of view. Shooting with one eye is not a serious handicap and some of the best shooters in the country do it.

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Here we go again! Making statements and conclusions without mentioning the basic, elementary, first grade requirement. What is your dominant eye and do you shoot right or left handed? If you are right handed left eye dominant and want to shoot with both eyes open, good luck!You'll not only need the winter league, but divine intervention.

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Right eye and hand dominant.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are a few things to do that will help you make the switch. First of all take a few shots at the patterning board using one eye, then do the same thing using both eyes. Compare the two targets and see if the POI is the same. Let us know how you make out, and we can proceed to step two. HMB

10. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I use both eyes when I try to grab my gun out of the club house...

I have been surprised to find another trapshooter's gun in my hand when I walked to the line... It had porting on it and mine did not....

Son of a gun....mfer...and other words while I walked in and retreived my own gun...

They still laugh about it......

Good people

Kenny U

11. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Right eye dominant and right hand shooter...go for it.

blade819

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

If you are a right hand shooter and your right eye is dominant then why on God's green earth would you tape your lens?

Ole Bryan One Eye.

13. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Bryan...

I'm right handed and right eye dominant and use 2 eyes for every shooting sport except those involving shotguns: rifles...no problem with scopes or sights; handguns...not a problem; archery...get more deer with a bow than with a gun. But my eye dominance switches back and forth from eye to eye with a shotgun whenever it feels like it and it has for 15 years.

Right-handers often figure that they're right eye dominant after trying that "point your finger at something and close your eye" test without realizing that eye dominance can and will change with movement or distance or both...never mind age.

Mike K

14. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

I shoot right handed and am right eye dominant. I close my left eye when I shoot. Tried it with both eyes open, just doesnt seem to work. - Matt

15. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Mike, shooting two eyed at trap is highly over rated. Knowing you have problems with crossfiring it's a sure bet your attempt to shoot two eyed will end in failure.

Robert

16. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I shot one eyed for years now. A couple of months ago I got tired of watching 2 eyed shooters start out with their barrels pointed above the horizon, so I decided to give it a go. It worked, sort of, but I just couldn't get over the feeling of not knowing where the bead was or gun was pointing when I made my eyes stay focused on the rock. Most of the time I hit them but I felt helpless, so I punted and went back to 1 eyed. A good fitting gun squarely in my shoulder so I know where it is pointing without looking at the bead. The bead just barely over the trap house, right eye focused (actually gazing) out mid way toward the stake to get on the bird. Left eye closed.
    Seems to work for me, but then I'm admittedly no great shooter, just one trying to find what works.
    dju

17. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I made the switch to 2 eyes 20 yrs ago when i switched from my compoud bow to a longbow, i shoot instinctive with my longbow, no sights, both eyes open. I then just carried it over to my guns, i felt i see so much more with 2 eyes, especially in bow hunting. Now if i try to shoot firearms with one eye i really do feel like i am handicapping myself, especially in trapshooting, but ive only shot trap for 4 yrs now and always with both eyes open, i just think i can pick up the birds quicker. Try it for a while, if it dosent feel comfortable go back to what already works for you.

18. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

So do you drive your car with one eye closed..

If I did that, then there would be a big headache coming soon while doing so...

Just try using two eyes and don't give up on it...

It is easy to give up and take to the old habits again , but keep fighting it...

I have always used two eyes since I remember and felt that I was the weird shooter back in the 70's when every one else used one eye..

Two eyes do have a big advantage which you will see when you get it..

Try a barrel blinder for the cross fireing , they work well..

Good luck with the task , and don't quit, believe me..

Robert
    ( Newfoundlander )

19. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I shot with both eyes today and shot an all time low of 28/50. :( Tomorrow is another league and another chance to try the two eye thing out. I did feel like I was seeing birds much quicker and clearer though.

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

don't give up but I do know that it may very well take several months. Please try and determine which eye is your dominate eye. if you are not shooting with your dominate eye it will be quite difficult and if this is thew case call me.
    Joe goldberg 609 231 6187

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.