1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Eye - Cross Eye Dominant Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by njuliano, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njuliano

njuliano Member

Has anyone (cross eye dominant) made the switch from either one eye only or dominant eye taped to shooting with BOTH EYES no tape at all ? I am a left handed shooter but, right eye dominant. I started shooting one eye then switched to using tape on the right (dominant) eye and have had very good success with it for about 1-1/2 years now (97 Singles average).
    A few weeks ago I looked down the barrel without any tape on the right side and the left eye (gun shoulder side) lines up with the target perfect. I did see a very slight shadow of the other barrel so I put a 4" blinder on the barrel and the shadow is gone. I shot it that way for about 200 targets and scores varied from 21 - 25 with most around 23. I find I see the target much clearer and sooner plus things are much brighter. I would like to stick with two eyes but, not sure if I will have problems later do the cross eye dominance. When I do the eye dominance check now nothing has changed I am still cross eye dominant.

Questions: I am thinking of switching to both eyes no tape but wanted to get experiences from others out there. Are your scores better with both eyes ? What did you do to make the switch ? How long did it take ? Where there any devices that helped ?

Thanks for any input.

Nick

2. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I did it, but I still have trouble with hard left quartering targets and cross-firing. However, it has worked WONDERS in skeet and sporting clays.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner has coached many shooters with a crossfire problem and has conducted a survey to see what percentage of shooters who have switched to both eyes open have actually improved their averages. You should check Phil's website and then send him an email for help.

4. warren

warren Member

I have trouble crossfiring and went to a Kiner Clinic and his advice to me was to wear a patch on my non shooting eye in the evening while watching tv or reading and it really does help, especially if I do it for a few days just before a shoot.

warren

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, you'll win a few battles but loose the war. Give up on the idea of shooting with two eyes, one less thing to worry about and in time your game will improve. I do envy those gifted with perfect vision and lacking dominance issues but manage to compete with and beat them often.

Robert

6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Tape !

7. njuliano

njuliano Member

Blade - I agree with you, the tape does work great. I was using black electrical tape about 1/2" x 1" long placed in just the correct spot does the trick. For me there was a big improvement with the tape over just the one eye. When I take that tape off though vision is super good. I would love to be able to get it to work. I am sure there is a transition period to switching over as there usually is whenever you make a change.

Thanks to everyone for all the input so far.

8. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Robert T has the answer. I am a. cross dominate shooter and have tried everything including shooting off the dominate side. I wasted about 3 years trying to find something that worked and was consistant. Answer tape. If you would like to hear the long version send me a PM and I will send you my phone number and we can chat at length. gyrine, Rich Strickland

9. paul7177

paul7177 Member

The Magic Dot works very well for me! I am strongly cross dominant, I have also found that using the dot allows me to hold a higher gun.

10. njuliano

njuliano Member

Yes. The Magic Dots also work well also. But was looking to try no tape or dots on the dominant eye.

Thanks

11. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

If you take a Phil Kiner workshop or see his video (I have done both) you will find out that the Magic Dots are rather inferior to resolving your problem. I taped up my left lens when I realized that I was cross firing (yes, I also saw the side of the barrel). It made a great difference in raising my scores. Don't sacrifice a concept of "ideal" for the reality of your situation. Remember, everyone is different in what works best.

12. blade819

Forget Phil Kiner. Take advice from a 31 time All American, left eye dominant right hand shooter...Nora Martin Ross !

blade819

13. blade819

oh yea Paul7177...try holding the gun at the front roof line.

blade819

14. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

put the gun on your right shoulder

15. njuliano

njuliano Member

In switching from one eye or tape eye, it doesn't sound like there are very many two eye (without tape) success stories for those that are cross eye dominant. The more research I do on this subject the more I am convinced the is little hope to make the switch two eye, no tape. Not sure if I should try it for a few months with the side blinder and see how it goes ?

16. MarkyMark

MarkyMark TS Member

I switched from being a right handed shooter left eye dominant to shooting left handed. Best move I ever made in my life. Not going to debate anyone's sucsess shooting trap with one eye, but once 2 eyes in sporting, hunting, live flyers has been nothing but a joy to have switched. I do know a few guys that have tried and went back to the cross eye tape deal.

I took lessons once a week from a sporting clay instructor and we worked at it for about 6 months once a week. I shot all I could and when I look back it was the best thing I ever did. Results are slow and frustation can play havic on during the switch. But I am right handed, batted lefty, hockey, golf so maybe that made it easier. It's been 12 years since I did and never looked back. Where I really saw it all click was shooting in south america, when I get tired lefty I can go to one eyed righty.

17. IcySwan1

IcySwan1 TS Member

When folks are referring to tape, is is just black electrical tape [as someone mentioned specifically] or opaque tape like Scotch tape? Also, why don't the Magic Dots work well? Thanks.

Mike

18. njuliano

njuliano Member

IcySwan1 - I have used the magic dots with some good success, but what I found is with the translucent dot or with Scotch tape, your eye can actually see thru the tape. Black electrical tape place in the proper place about 1" x 3/4" seemed to work really well. Finding the correct spot to place it is the key. Once you put the tape on the dominant eye lens you may need to adjust it. A friend helped me set the tape. I found you need to close the non-taped eye, you should not be able to see the barrel or above it but should be able see just below the barrel. Again this is out of the TAPED eye only. The patch must block the target and the front sight.

19. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I wasted almost three years and a lot of money trying to shoot from my dominate side, left. I was able to shoot lefty two eye with no problem, at first. After a while I concluded that my brain was not communicating with my left trigger finger very well. I was shooting release and I developed the mother of all flinches. I thought the trigger was broken, the gun would not fire about 5% of the time. I taped up the left eye and went back to righty and not had a flinching problem since, pull or release. I waisted almost 3 years with this dead end experiment plus having to replace all the stocks on my left hand stock guns. gyrine

20. blade819

A Dot will work but it depends on how you mount the gun and where you place your cheek. If it's consistent then a small dot will work. I just take an inch and a half of scotch tape and put it on toward the top of my left lense. Made the move 2 years ago recommended by Mr. Jeff Galloway. With a little (really alot oh help) from Nora Ross, I've pushed back 2 yards and up 1 Class in 3 months and I supect both will increase one more class and yard by the time this shooting year is over.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
barrel attachments to help with cross eye dominance problems
cross dominant holding stock over
cross eye domanat4 shooters

cross eye dominance

cross eye dominance in trap shooting
rib attachment for two eye shooters
two eye shooting
would a high rib help with cross eye dominance