1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Two different poi req'd?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by st8shuter, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

Two different poi req

i have come to the opinion that i require two different comb settings. i can shoot my ljutic better at hcp than singles, shouldnt the reverse be true?
    most hits a singles are decent breaks but the ones in cap are vapour.

is this a commmon practice or am i the exception, how many shooters change the comb from sgls to hcp?

2. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

This is probably all wrong...but over the course of 30 yrs or so,,,I've found that I do better with a "flat-shooting" gun @ 16, and a "hi-shooting" gun @ long-yard H-cap.
    That might be telling just how messed up my shooting has been...but it seems to work for me.
    (fwiw: I tend to shoot very quickly)

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There are guys that change the comb between events and are very successful. Most are 27 yard shooters so they are dealing with two distances only and not yo-yoing back and forth on yardages.

I'd venture a guess, if your Ljutic is turning handicap targets to vapor, the 16 yard targets should be totally annihilated! Your pattern being bigger at handicap distances may be the real reason rather than POI. The best shooters say, "learning to shoot singles consistently" will make you a better handicap shooter also and that is true. Singles require mental control and a pattern size that works best for you at the distance you shoot 16 yard targets which in turn makes for better caps scores too. From your writing, it sounds like you are fringe hitting the 16s and not centering them giving the impression it's a POI problem when it may not be that at all? Pattern your Ljutic at the yardages you break your targets, both singles and handicap distances. That may give the answer your looking for. That,, rather than what works for someone else?

Hap

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Although many trapshooters subscribe to the theory that you should set your gun up for handicap and learn to shoot it that way for singles, I think it makes more sense to have a setting for each. Using different color spacers for the comb makes it easy to see which discipline it is set for.

It takes shot longer to reach targets that are farther away and during that time, the target continues to rise, so the gun has to be set to shoot a little higher at longer yardage. Others say they don't need to make any POI adjustment. It's something you have to experiment with to find what works for you.

Ed

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Gravity is part of the equation. HMB

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

st8shooter, I'd guess you hold a high gun. At any rate, I am one of those who REQUIRE a higher POI for handicap than singles, and a lower POI for doubles. I've tried and tried and I simply cannot learn to cover the bird for caps and really float the second bird for doubles.

Here is an example. I was in the last singles flight at Elysburg on Thu, and an early doubles squad. So I decided to shoot the second 100 singles with by O/U so I wouldn't be rushed to change barrels and get back to the trap. I shot a 20 on the first bank. What the heck! Oh, you dope. I set the barrel up for singles and all was well.

Then like an idiot, I shoot the first bank of doubles with the same setting. I suck at doubles, but not 35 bad. Between banks I set the gun up for a lower POI and shot a 44 for the second 50. That's about right for me.

A similar thing happens for handicap. I shoot an 80/20 gun for singles, but need it higher for caps. I need at least a 3/32" to 1/8" spacer for each 4 yards I move back.

So I've just recently given up trying to shoot the same POI for everything. I just can't seem to manage. Back when I shot a 22" high @ 40 yards POI, it diddn't seem to matter as much. Now that I'm lower, it matter a great deal.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Also needed for doubles, the right POI for the lower barrel and the correct POI for the upper barrel. HMB

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've found a small increase works better for me at caps... probably 1/16th.. maybe it's in my head, but, my scores improved when I did it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.