1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Twitter & Face Book ???????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Would like some opinions on these site, I think posting to a bunch of unknowns is crazy, plus putting personal info is overboard. "what say" paranoid or no big deal?

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

I reluctantly signed on, as numerous family members were there. Now, i am bombarded with friend requests from people i never heard of, solicitations from sex-starved nymphos(not a bad thing, i suppose : ) and invitations to play silly games and such. There may be some security issues, not sure.

I prefer to use conventional email, the phone or a knock on their door. Between this site, my fishing sites and regular emails, i spend enough time at the keyboard.No wonder i'm 35 pounds overweight.

If someone wants to find me, i'm in the book.

Simpleton me......

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Too many security issues. You really have to know how to control the onfo you put on there. Too many people can pick up on it. Wife is on, I will not get on it. Bulge.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

people get personal info from those sites, as stated by ks5. I think of it as a "i want to feel good about myself" tool for those that want to be popular amongst their friends...there are people out there that can circumvent the privacy settings on someone's page and look at all of your personal info.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It is a good photo-archiving source, and I like being on it better than any other site or forum, because I am talking directly with friends and family. You need to know how to set and keep up after your security settings if you want to be on it. My recommendations:

1. First rule is to be careful and go through every part of the profile and account pages to make sure that your security settings are tight, and then to check them after any updates that fb makes (because they can default back during changes). I set mine and Martin's to "Friends Only" on everything. I also have my profile set as unsearchable (you can find me through a search only if you know my email address).

2. Second rule is to not connect your phone with facebook. Email your pics too your email address instead. That is, unless you know how to disable your geolocating feature on your cell phone.

3. Third rule is don't play any games or use any apps. These expose your profile (not ALL of your profile, depending on your security settings) to others who game and use those apps, too. They will then have the access to SPAM you, because they can click on your name when they see it, then click on "send a message". Disable games and apps. Otherwise, you will exposing your page AS WELL AS your friend's pages.

4. Don't connect with anyone whom you don't know. Even if that person is connected to a friend of yours. If you get a friend-of-a-friend's request to connect, verify that person with your friend first before accepting. When YOU connect with people that you don't know, you are then connecting all of your friends who post on your wall (again, see how they find/message you in rule 3 above). If you don't hide your friend's pages, they can actually just troll through your friends photos and pages. Personally, I don't mind that as long as my friend's friends are really their friends or family, and not some gamer or someone that they have never even met.

5. Don't "friend" pages of things, unless you want all of the other friends of that page to see you.

6. Don't post your birthdate year, your current hometown, or the town of your birth, or any other information that someone could use to steal your identity. I posted my hometown when I was born...not the same as my birthplace, nor where I currently live).

7. Hide you phone number. Facebook publishes it for all of your friends to see, unless you go in and actively hide it.

Be prepared to un-friend anyone who doesn't follow rules 1-5, and try to always inform your friends so that they can change their settings. Some people are just unaware.

I'm probably forgetting something. You are not going to be able to hide yourself from the internet. There are companies and agencies that are collecting electronic information on you everywhere, and you can't prevent it...even if you are completely electronically disconnected (computer, cell phone, etc).

6. recurvyarcher

sernv99, you can think as negatively as you like, but your statement isn't true. It's a lot easier to connect with your family when you get on FB and talk with them all, and share photos, than to make 8 phone calls every evening to catch up.

You would probably consider going to the coffee shop an ego thing...after all, one can make coffee at home.

7. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Recurvy,
    Thanx for the good F.B info !!!!!!!!!!

Sandy Holehouse.

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Curvy: we are in a different age group....I should had clarified my statement to reflect the appropriate age group my statement was referencing...I have lots of friends and co-workers (most under the age of 40) who I have "friended" on my facebook page, which by no accident is almost blank. I have seen some of the asine things they post on their "wall"....as if anyone cares if they are going out to eat at 6pm with their friends...or if they just got back from the hair salon or they returned from a Lexus dealership to put a $20k cash down payment on a new car or if they shot a crappy score at the golf range today. Seems to me they want attention....maybe it's different with your age group.

on a side note, there are ways to look at someone's profile even if you have all of the privacy settings set to the most robust level. Just a few years ago, there was a flaw in Internet Explorer that allowed people to look at private profiles in both facebook and myspace. Both sites fixed their software to prevent further exploitation of this. Software applications change overnight so you better be up to snuff on the latest flaws in Internet Exploer, Firefox, Windows applications and so on and so on...

9. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Facebook and Twitter are for people who are natural communicators anyway. The same people who keep track of family and always have those lines of communications open are the ones who fair well on Facebook.

My company uses Facebook (and other social networking sites) to plug our programming. It spreads faster than any commercial could ever do.
    reference Sunday's Super Bowl)

10. recurvyarcher

sernv99, I think I remember you being very computer-savvy, and yes you are correct about the flaws. That's why people's personal information and daily whereabouts are not the best thing to put on there. There are some of us who are computer geeks (or computer geezers however you look at it), and know the ins and outs. It's not for the faint-hearted.

I have seen, as you have said, some strange posts by some of my younger family members. But it's nothing that I don't see here on ts.com sometimes. Actually, it's worse on here sometimes.

Hope the weather back your way is better...

Just be careful what you post, people.

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Those social networking pages are a cesspool of weirdos, thieves, and scam artists and adulterers. Many people who post enough information to help identity thieves. I have counseled dozens of couples who one or the other started an illicit relationship with some sweet talker they met on facebook. It maybe someone from their past.

Even though I warned my wife of all these things, she opened an account to "keep up the with the grandchildren". Her computer has had to go to the shop twice to be straightened out from virus problems, and we get strange calls all hours of the night from people we do not know, or people who have a score to settle with someone that has been in contact with the people on her facebook account.

Social networking is like living in a swingers club atteneded with the residents of the federal prison and the state mental hospital, without condoms.

Even employeers are not hiring people who have had too many weird contacts on facebook. It is a pretty high price to pay to do a meaningless past time.

12. recurvyarcher

That is your experience. I have been on fb almost from the beginning, and have not had any viruses, stalkers, id theft, etc. Martin and I are certainly not having affairs, except for the one we have with each other. It's all in how you use the internet, just as in how you conduct your life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.