1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Twelvette for Youth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KeepWoodOnWood, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

I'm contemplating purchasing a Browning Twelvette that seems like it's in very good shape. The stock appears to have been shortened and has a LOP of 13". A Browning pad has replaced the original plastic butt plate. The barrel measures 27" from muzzle to receiver. The chrome lined bore is nice and shiny. It has the vented rib and a fixed modified choke. I'm wondering what the thoughts are regarding this as a youth gun. From the reading I've done, there seems to be a cult following on these and they seem to be pretty well thought of.

I coach a high school trap team and every season kids come out with guns that don't fit. It's usually the smaller framed kids that have a gun that's way too big and too long of a LOP. I'm thinking of picking this one up for the kids to use.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The kid will be unhappy if it has a problem. Parts are not easy to come by.

Get him a youth 1100. Better yet, get a regular LT-20 and put a youth stock on it. That way you can sell the youth stock later and keep the gun.

HM

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

They are great guns for carrying and hunting but a bit light for sustained trap shooting. I think you will find the recoil to be a bit more than a young shooter would be comfortable with. The short recoil system does not absorb the recoil as a gas system does.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Find a used 1100.

5. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

You won't find a bigger fan of the Browning Double Auto than me. If the one you speak of is in the condition you describe, I would not be concerned about it breaking. This model is rugged except when shot with a sustained diet of big magnum loads, some develop cracked stocks. I think that if you could buy it right, it would be much better for a kid than a single barrel or pump that doesn't fit. With that being said ou.3200's post has it right. The Double Auto is really better suited for field use. A gas gun like an 1100 won't kick as much as the Double Auto. Also, the unique loading system of the Double Auto might be tricky for a new shooter. I love how it loads, but others think the left side loading port is strange.

This pic was on the web of a young man using a Double Auto at the Indiana State shoot. As you can see, he seems to handle the DA comfortably with what looks to be Federal top gun loads. This satin grey DA has an added pad which drastically increases the comfort over just the buttplate. I put pachmyer decelerators on my shooter DA's.
    Doug Allison
    Indianastateshootpic_zps0ff3c164.jpg

6. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

This is a pic of my Nephew when he was younger. He has laid claim to this Autumn Brown Double Auto of mine. It has a cut stock with added pad. He loves it for bunnies and birds. When he was this size, he preferred this gun over an LT-20 1100 for field use.
    Doug Allison

IMG_2624.jpg

7. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies so far. Regarding the 1100's, I love to shoot it, have owned them and 11-87's. the only thing I don't like about them for youth is that the 12 gauge tends to be heavy for small framed kids and girls and if you cut down the stock, they tend to get barrel heavy, unless you get a short barreled version.

The one thing I don't like with the 1100/11-87 is cleaning them and keeping them. A Beretta/Benelli is far easier to clean. So is a BT-99 micro, which is what I'd really like to find at a reasonable price.

Finding a youth sized gun, locally, this time of year is not easy, which is why I'm seriously looking at this one.

No concerns with magnum loads. We will be shooting 1 or 1 1/8 ounce loads at 1150 max

Ron

8. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

Doug, looks like a clean head shot!

Ron

9. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Ron, what color is the receiver?
    Doug Allison

10. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

The receiver is boring black. I think it would be fun/ interesting to own one of the colors.

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.