1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TV question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by lots of 24's, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I have an older big screen television, I guess about 15 years old. Its not a projection set. My question is this, why is it when I watch Fox sports they seem to have a bigger "screen" than my television will allow me to see. If you watch football or baseball on Fox , I can never see the current score. Its always in a little box in the upper left hand corner of the picture and I can never see it. Its just out of sight. Is it because my set is not HD? Its really annoying. The only time I see the score is when the go away for a commercial, or come back from a commercial. Quite honestly its enough to make me change the channel sometimes.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

On your remote conrtol ... there should be a "Menu" button.

Press it and find "Fit picture to screen".

3. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

well there should be......but I'll be darned if I can find it

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

On my remote, it is the "format" button that changes the size of the screen you see.

Hope that helps.

Hauxfan!

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My guess is that you are on cable and using a cable box from the cable company. Over the Air TV will not play on a fifteen year old set unless there is a converter box that takes the digital signal from the tv transmitter and converts it into an analog signal that the old TV can use.

That said, the aspect ratio (width vs. height) of a analog TV is 4:3. Digital can be either 4:3 or 16:9. 16:9 is the format used for the higher definition digital signals. That is what FOX is transmitting. On your converter box remote there normally is a button, often call zoom, that allows you to change the signal coming from the converter to better match your tv. These different settings are called Cropped which has a normal height signal but the loses both outside horizontal edge. Thus you do not see the scores. There are also Letter Box which shrinks the entire picture but leaves a black border where you do not have video. There is also Stretch which I have never figured out what it is useful for since the picture always looks so out of proportion.

Look on your converter or cable box remote. There should be such a button. If not, contact your cable company if cable or look for a new converter if you are using over-the-air reception.

6. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Thanks you.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Did you get it fixed?

Hauxfan!

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

New flat screen HD tv's are cheap. Go buy a new one, you'll love the improved quality.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.