1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tv help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

It is time I move into the new millenium! What type of tv do I need for my wife?! What are the pros and cons etc including price, longivity, definition, etc? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't get a Plasma!!!

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ditto what grntitan says. Mike. L.E.D.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

This is a rare opportunity to get double bonus points - take your wife shopping and buy the set she wants. Go to a good quality electronics store and have the sales person fill you in about the latest and greatest technology.

If you get that right set, she will be too busy watching it to notice the delivery of the 100 flats of shotshells that shows up the following week -work it man!

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

LED is the right way to go. Samsung is my choice. Have 5 of them and they are all excellent. Also have a Pioneer Plasma that has been flawless, but Pioneer is out of the TV business.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have a Sony LED that is just short of the 3D version. Son has the Sony 3D. With one eye I can't tell any 3D effects but the kid says it leaves a lot to be desired.

Still as far as the HD quality its fantastic. There are other good brands out there, just google HD tv and find the one with the features you want.

Bill

7. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I've had a 52" L.E.D. Samsung for 4 years. The condenser that fires the picture when it starts blew at about 4 months. Samsung diagnosed over the phone and shipped me the part. Then Sears service came out and installed the part (took all of 15 minutes) and it has been fine ever since.

Chuck

8. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I've had a 52" L.E.D. Samsung for 4 years. The condenser that fires the picture when it starts blew at about 4 months. Samsung diagnosed over the phone and shipped me the part. Then Sears service came out and installed the part (took all of 15 minutes) and it has been fine ever since.

Chuck

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Internet shows/movie access via the TV? Something to think about...

10. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I got a 65" LG 65LW6500 3D L.E.D. edge-lit set a couple months ago. It's about 95 lbs without the stand (I have mine on a wall mount) and about 1" thick.

The 3D is passive, meaning the glasses are circularly polarised, no batteries, no flicker, no headaches, no dim 3D picture. Same glasses as in a theater. It has a 2D -> 3D conversion that works pretty well, giving the picture some depth. It works fine with 3D cable (I have Comcast) programming. To view 3D Blu-rays properly, you'll need a 3D capable player, for example the LG BD670, which goes for a little over $100 bucks. I have a half dozen 3D Blu-rays now and Hugo is the best so far. Just jaw-dropping.

It has Smart TV, meaning you can access, for example, netflix directly, and you can even surf the net on it. Comes with a regular remote and a "Magic Wand" remote, kind of like a wireless mouse. The TV will play a variety of video and audio formats direct from USB thumb drive or external hard drive.

The picture is pretty close to that of top end Samsungs, which go for a lot more. If you have a chance, check out the LG 3D TVs. Good luck.

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We just got a couple of new ones, both are LEDs.

The 70" is really huge and I am already spoiled as a result of watching it.

Bob

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I got the Toshiba LCD 3D smart TV in 55 inch.It does most all. I got best deal at Conns on a close out. It was mfg. in Oct of 2011 and I got it in Jan. 2012.

Thin and excellent picture. It has a very thin border and NO SHINNY frame around it that reflects light. Weight is probably around 50 lbs. Check them out on the internet.

My first one was a 42 inch Visio with usb connection and more. It has a frame and part is glossy and shows light reflections. Not good for me.

PM me a number if you have any questions. Ray

13. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! You are scaring the hell out of this dinosaur! Tom Rhoads