1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Turning a gun club to a conservation club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smithersshootingsports, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithersshootingsports

smithersshootingsports TS Member

Anybody have any experience in turning a club into a conservation club? I have searched the internet but have not been able to find anything.. where do I start?

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have such experience. What are you trying to accomplish - and where?

3. smithersshootingsports

It would be in Indiana. The goal would be to take an old run down club and make it thrive so that others can enjoy it for years to come.

4. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

What are you going to conserve?

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

If you turn it into a conservation club under a tax statius then you loose control of actitives you may want to achieve. You can have a conservation club by just calling it one. You don't need someone else leading you by the hand. This way you can get several ideas on what to do from your members and act on the moral majority with out any intervention from any agency. Otherwise when any agency is involved, as a group you make a decision then you go to big daddy and ask if it is ok. TAKE BACK YOUR OWN GUIDENCE. WILD BILL

6. smithersshootingsports

Im looking more at being financially stable....as new clubhouse will need to be built as well as trap houses and machines replaced or atleast repaired

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Apparently, you wantn to re-build and revitalize an old gun club/shooting facility. While you can call it anything you want, it will be somewhat more difficult to make it in to a conservation organization in reality.

It also appears that you are looking for a source of funding to finance the work you need done. I doubt that merely calling is a "conservationj club" will get you that, at least not under any government programs I know of.

Instead, have you thought about turning it into an equity club? Is there a core of existing members you can build around? If so, your problem is more about organization and marketing. While calling it a "conservation club" may make that somewhat easier, I doubt that it will make a substantial dfference.

An end-game vision is what you need first plus a full assesment of what you have (hard and soft assets, present ownership, leases, etc.) and what your goal is. Once you have that, I may be able to assist you.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You can rebuild a club without a lot of money on hand, but you have to do it a target at a time unless you find someone with big pockets.

Seen a small regional member run club rebuilt after all thought it was dead in the water.

Did not happen over night and it took a lot of work.

Building and machines were in ill repair and no money in the bank. When I say no money in the bank I mean no money in the bank, it was that bad!

A team effort of five to six dedicated trap and skeet shooters who moved out the old management and took over the club.

They first got two fields up and running in where you were not getting broken targets every time you turned around. Rebuilt the existing trap houses and put a new roof on the clubhouse. Had to rewire the fields. Again, this just did not happen, took some time.

The club now has three PAT Traps and new skeet machines on two fields. They took the old machines and made a five stand. They now hold three skeet shoots a year and five or six trap shoots. None under the previous management. A few fun shoots also.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Just be very careful that the shooting aspect doesn't take a back seat to the Bingo commity (or some other sewing circle of club nonsense). Don't lose focus of the shooting sports and what the club is really all about.

JMHO!

10. smithersshootingsports

Thanks for the support....the previous owners have ran alot of members away which Would be no problem getting alot of them to come back....but so many of them loaned money and never saw it come back or it be used for the clubs purpose, which turned even more people away.

I thought if I let the club be funded by the government then I could use it as a hobby and not have to worry about the light and water getting shut off. I don't mind putting in the effort or getting dirty I just dont want to go broke doing it.

11. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Joe and birddogs have given you some good advice.

We have a local club that needs revitalized but we can't get the two guys that run it to step aside or get off their butts.

The only shooting done at the club is a meat shoot once a month. That is the only day it is open during the month. The faculities are kept up, but the "club" is maintained as their personal getaway to play cards ect.

We need some "young blood" with enthusiam and energy to come in and take over, but there is none on the horizon.

The same two individual have been in control for over 20 years. We have tried in the past, to make changes but have been frustrated. Its a shame as the club is only about 15 miles from my house, and I have to drive at least 45 miles to shoot.

I would guess that there are a lot of clubs in similar situations.

ed

12. smithersshootingsports

Thanks for all the comments! Since it doesn't sound like a conservation club would be the way to go, anybody wanna give me 100k?? Haha. I'll keep you all posted on the the future

13. smithersshootingsports

How bout reclaiming the shot for profit?? anybody have experience on that? Obviously the profit would have to be split with company doing the work, but maybe that would give me a good place tostart getting things back in order.

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Lead reclamation would be a very good place to start, but it's only going to net you 5k or so a best. you can also expect to do a lot of chain saw work unless your outer range has been cleared. I was in management of a club with 3-400 members for a few years. Our club was and is financially successful because of numerous fundraisers of all types. you have to have your card nights [euchre here in MI], Archery shoots, fish fries and of course lots of competitive trap shooting in order to keep the club afloat. One thing that many clubs do is scare away alot of pontential good members by setting their dues too high. Ours are 40$ for the first yr and 10 bucks for every year after that. We encourage members to be ACTIVE members. You have to be ready to jump through a few hoops to make the events work, but that is the key to a successful club. Make it a place for the public to come and have fun as well as the members.Bill in MI

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that we were for a time a member of Michigan united conservation clubs [MUCC]. We ended up scrapping our membership because it nothing for us.

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The MUCC used to be a good thing until politicians (namely Sam Washington) ruined it. There is NO benifit to belonging anymore, you're right.

17. pull!

pull! TS Member

Our club recently received over $40 grand for lead that was mined off our fields. We are buying new machines, and upgrading our clubhouse with some of it. The miners told us that they thought that we had over a million pounds of lead (more than 20 years since last recovery), but we were happy to get what we received.

By the way, lead was selling for 78 cents a pound when we started this.

18. smithersshootingsports

Pull - or anyone else...im interested in more info on lead reclamation if you have it? Please and thank you!

Smithers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.