1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn styrofoam into a littleton shot maker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SL900LOADER, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

sl900loader_2010_0612.jpg

sl900loader_2010_06121.jpg

sl900loader_2010_06122.jpg

how im making lead into shot,
    This is lostfoam casting, shotmaker cast into aluminum.
    Ive only made about 20 lbs of good shot, im on my second design of drippers,

all total im in about $30.00
    sl900loader_2010_06123.jpg

sl900loader_2010_06124.jpg

Last pic, i coppied my "OHAUS brand" lead ingot mold, mines in the back with the flashing still on before i cut it off
    sl900loader_2010_06126.jpg

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You have some serious tails happening there. Work on the lip, that's what causes tails.

I remember casting in Jr High school, so cool! I made a frying pan, belt buckle, and the tools to remove the Briggs/Stratton flywheel nut, still have and use the tools.

We wanted to find out how much waste there was in al cans. We took a pound of cans, melted them down, poured the molten metal into an ingot mold, and ended up with 11 oz of pure al. There was quite a bit of dross left over.

3. shaggist

shaggist Member

Could someone please explain what is being done here, and do so in a complete, understandable manner. This could be quite interesting--I think?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Like your idea.

We did Sand Mold Aluminum casting in shop class when I was in high school. We made a bench grinder and few other tools. My favorite was a large ash tray with the dips in the rim for your cigarettes. You won't see that in today's classes.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That picture is not even close to good shot. You've got some engineering to do. However, your on your way. Good luck with your project.

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

making good shot is in the control of the lead. control Tempature of lead, clean lead, coolant temp. Type of coolant. Outside temp. and so on. Bill

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What are you using to heat it with?

Why not have holes drilled into the bowl itself with a cutoff mechamism on the inside?

Thanks

Gene

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I once saw a man drill holes in a can and let lead drip out after heating the can with an old plummer's torch. I guess anything will work in a pinch.

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Lead hit $1.0268 per pound today, 12-11-12. BT100dc

10. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Hi everyone, Oh i know ive got tails, and potatoes too!
    Ive got a long way to go, thats actually the second bowl ive made.

But at the 16 yrd line i was very proud of my self, no one tought me sandcasting, or shot making, or shot-maker making, and we all know how people have been pulling there hair out with a $500.00 store bought machines.

Im going through all the learning curves a home shot maker must go through to learn all the intricacies for good shot.

I get the typical results, started out dripping crap, then it was Great, oh-now back to crap, many many things to learn.

and when it makes me mad i put it down, and have learned im doing it for fun.

Shaggist: go on youtube and look up "lost foam casting" and "sandcasting

Shot 410: i know that shot is not perfect, but i loaded it when i had no shot in the house, and ya know what...I had better scores on the rounds i shot over the store bough Eagle shot!..that told me im doing a good job.

Now im doing the,(which-coolant should i use, at what temperature, my garage temp is now winter time cold, and so on.

this all started for me from casting (castboolits.com) bullets.

I bought a shot shell relaoder a year before my firt shotgun, my new friends at the club said, isnt that backwards? ive been shooting trap for 6 years and never have bought a box of shells.

I roll my own cigarettes, so this only seems natural to me.

11. EEB

EEB Member

I'm at a loss to understand how that works. Casting shot with styrofoam?

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Judas priest he uses the styrofoam as pattern to cast the 'shot maker' body out of aluminum!!! Look up back yard oil burners there is a whole slew of people casting their own stuff using junk aluminum grills and old lawwnmower engines and using waste oil and even used french fryer oil for the fuel. Very interesting stuff.

13. hera200

hera200 Member

EEB, please dont feel alone if you were getting the impression that maybe you were a little slow on the uptake. I can assure you you had me as company through this whole thread. THankfully someone came up with that last remark (even if you had to get him a little upset to get him to explain) so that now I have at least an idea what everyone is talking about. LIVE AND LEARN! (I am still working on it)......BUD

14. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Im sorry i threw this thread together and didnt explain aluminum casting better, look up lost foam-casting and sand casting on youtube, once you master it, it's a tool you can make endless things with.

But ive to to say you guys got a big laugh out of me with the last few comments!

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here's an idea...

Many who make shot spend a LOT of time playing with the drip-lip... Soap stone, etc to lube it so the shot drops off correctly (as stated this is generally linked to the tails you are getting).

In that Rube Goldberg is alive and doing well in your neck of the woods (meant as a compliment), what would happen if you cut a plate out of an old teflon coated pan to 'cover' the drip edge - make in non-stick as it were?

I figure with what you are doing it might be fun and kind of fits into your process. A small rectangular plate of teflon to cover the whole lip, held in place with two small screws.

Might get rid of those tails quickly - or not...

Good luck with it, looks like a fun project

PS - are you using 110 V or 220 V ??

16. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What I want to know is how did you melt the aluminum?

17. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Bruce Em, i made an aluminum casting furnace out of a used R-12 bottle and lined the inside with chimney mortar repair mud, and using a propane plumbers torch for the heat, i dont have any pics on this hard drive, but i will post them if you really want to know how.

My friend youtube will show you the way, it took a while to understand it all, but youve got to get into this, i can cast aluminum in so many ways now between sand molds and lostfoam casting, it is so cool!

18. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

Might want to try polishing the drip lip, looks a little rough which could be causing a drag on the molten lead causing tails and oblong shot.

19. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

i built my own shot maker and put through almost 1000 pounds before i even got close to perfect, its now making shot i would mistake for new shot if i didnt know it was homeade! i sell 3/4 i make and this last summer my shells were free and i figured i saved almost half on my targets from the money i made selling shot! DONT GET FRUSTRATED!! IF ITS NOT TURNING OUT GOOD, PUT DOWN THE MACHINE FOR A FEW WEEKS, RESEARCH AND TRY AGAIN!!! YOU WILL GET THERE! PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!

20. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Haskins Bill: Your response was helpful, and written so much in the spirit of the trapshooting sport..... I thought it might have been Lost Foam, but wasn't quite sure. Thanks. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

homemade shot dripper

homemde lead shotmaker

ingot molds for sale

lead shot dripper homemade

littleton shotmaker
littleton shotmaker trouble shooting
shot dripper forum